Announcing bdutil-1.2.1 with a new connector to Google Cloud Bigtable

Hadoop on Google Cloud Platform Team

May 6, 2015, 1:32:00 PM5/6/15
to gcp-had...@google.com, gcp-hadoo...@googlegroups.com

Greetings, users of Hadoop on Google Cloud Platform!

We’re excited to announce the latest version of bdutil which fixes a few miscellaneous bugs, adds a couple new convenient flags, and most importantly introduces a new extension for deploying a cluster pre-configured to access our newly announced Google Cloud Bigtable service. Google Cloud Bigtable is a fully-managed NoSQL database service built on our world-famous internal Bigtable technology that is accessed using an extension for the standard HBase 1.0 client.

Download bdutil-1.2.1.tar.gz or bdutil-1.2.1.zip now to try it out, or visit the developer documentation where the download links now point to the latest version. Please see the detailed release notes below for more information about the new bdutil.

As always, please send any questions or comments to gcp-hadoo...@google.com or post a question on stackoverflow.com with tag ‘google-hadoop’ for additional assistance.

All the best,

Your Google Team

bdutil-1.2.1: CHANGES.txt

1.2.1 - 2015-05-05

 1. Install Java JDK with Spark; this allows spark-sql to correctly run

    out-of-the-box.

 2. New --master_machine_type/-M flag for setting a different master

    machine type vs worker machine type.

 3. Updated default Spark version to 1.3.0; SparkSQL scripts may need

    modifications to use the new DataFrames; see Spark's migration guide:

    http://spark.apache.org/docs/1.3.0/sql-programming-guide.html#migration-guide

 4. Fixed CentOS 7 support.

 5. Added basic support for using local SSDs via --master_local_ssd_count

    and --worker_local_ssd_count.

 6. Removed default zone, trying to get default zone from gcloud instead or

    otherwise requiring an explicit zone setting.

 7. Fixed JobHistory permissions on HDFS.

 8. Added new extension: extensions/bigtable/bigtable_env.sh for deploying

    a cluster with the HBase-compatible connector for Google Cloud Bigtable

    installed.