Why is Google Compute Engine Bandwidth SO EXPENSIVE?!

Fadi Obaji

Dec 22, 2018, 2:51:40 PM12/22/18
to gce-discussion

So I'm new to Google Compute Engine, and I purchased a fresh copy of WHM/cPanel and installed it on my newly created instance of Google Compute Engine.

The one thing that I didn't ask myself about was Bandwidth, so I went to their calculator page and added 1TB egress bandwidth, and the calculator gave an estimated 110 USD per month!.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this real or am I doing the calculation the wrong way?

If this is true, how can anyone host a VPS server (using WHM) and at least 10 customers (cPanel accounts), the cost would be enormous. This is ridiculous.

Can anyone please clarify about this?

Thanks in advance.

Manikandan Krishnamurthy

Dec 23, 2018, 2:36:55 AM12/23/18
to gce-discussion
Hi Fadi,

Have you used below official calculator from Google Cloud? If so, what is the CPU and SSD you selected?

https://cloud.google.com/products/calculator/

Sunny J (Google Cloud Support)

Dec 24, 2018, 12:16:40 PM12/24/18
to gce-discussion

Hello Fadi,

The amount provided by Google Cloud Platform Pricing Calculator are only an estimate. The actual charge will depend on factors such as, the actual traffic used within the billing cycle as well as the egress traffic region.

Example: The charge of an Egress - Americas/EMEA of an estimated traffic of 1,000 GB will not be the same with an Egress - Australia.

For more details on Egress traffic charges, see the General network pricing page for egress through internal IP addresses charges and Traffic through external IP addresses page.

Furthermore, you may also check the pricing by Product SKU see how these charges can be calculated in a currency other than USD for different regions.

Therefore, an estimated egress charge of 110 USD/Monthly does not mean that you will be automatically charge that amount in addition to any other computing resources used, but an estimate should you used up this 1TB of egress traffic within the billing cycle.

I hope this information is helpful.

Thank you for using Google Cloud Platform.