GCD Wireframes

Bobby Grace

Jul 28, 2010, 3:30:16 PM7/28/10
to gcd-tech
Hey folks,

I posted some wireframes in the files sections. They exhibit the
various design adaptations for browser sizes. Any feedback is
welcome. Thanks!

-Bobby

Will Allred

Jul 28, 2010, 11:14:29 PM7/28/10
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
I really like the look of the layout...it's nice and clean.
Would you actually lose the 3rd column if the browser size isn't large
enough (I'm assuming you're throwing it at the bottom of column 2)?
And, welcome the GCD.

Will
______________________________

Will Allred <wal...@gmail.com>
http://willallred.com/

Hey folks,

-Bobby

Ralf Haring

Jul 29, 2010, 11:31:41 AM7/29/10
to gcd-tech
Are these screenshots or mockups? Is it for the front page or a
display of an item or both?

-Ralf

Henry Andrews

Jul 29, 2010, 1:29:52 PM7/29/10
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Ralf brought up my main question :-) I don't quite know how to give feedback on
these. Are you looking for responses on the layout? Colors? Fonts?
Button/link styles? Or just the horizontal scalability?

Another point that I should have remembered earlier (had comic-con and this cold
I still have not been distracting me) is that we discussed in a sub-committee
recently that we'd really like to make the front page a lot simpler, so if this
is supposed to be the front page we'll probably want to drop the three column
tons-o-boxes look for something a lot more sparse. What that means is up in the
air and your design input would obviously be welcome.

One general comment that i can probably make is that despite the simplicity of
our URL, we're really quite invested in the Grand Comics Database / GCD brand so
the replacement logo would need to be a GCD logo (although incorporating
comics.org into at least one version of said logo might not be a bad idea at
all).

I do like the way the logo and the redesigned search box/button go together
smoothly.

I'll have more feedback when I have a better feel on what I'm supposed to be
considering :-) And if that's "everything" I can work with that, too :-D

thanks,
-henry

Bobby Grace

Jul 29, 2010, 3:38:26 PM7/29/10
to gcd-tech
These are mockups of the general layout, not screenshots or any
particular page; there is some hand waving here. These are supposed
to show off how the design adapts to the browser window. There won't
be any loss of information, so columns that don't fit in a smaller
window size will show up underneath the other columns, or wherever
appropriate.

It also gets at the logo. If we're invested in GCD, then I'm
certainly in no position to change that.

I agree about the home page, it should be more austere, or at least
focus the user a little bit more. I like emphasizing search and
statistics. I think below the page break should be list of recently
updated issues. I'll sketch something up.

-Bobby
> > On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 15:30, Bobby Grace  <johnrobertgrac...@gmail.com>

Henry Andrews

Jul 29, 2010, 4:42:35 PM7/29/10
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good. We were talking on the Board at one point about having a logo
design competition, and I (and a few others) recommended that we wait until we
have someone looking at the overall design. Both because that person might come
up with a good new logo (everyone agrees we need one) and also because if they
do not, the new design would set the context for the new logo.

We definitely want the brand to remain GCD, and "Grand Comics Database" should
appear prominently somewhere on the front page. To explain a bit, it's the
official name of the organization, and if we switch the logo to be centered on
comics.org, it doesn't even feel like the same web site to me. Too many changes
at once.

I still need to wrap up the work on the gcd-software-planning committee list.
I'll work on that weekend, and post the front page ideas over here since you're
working on them already. Some of the ideas are along the lines of what you're
already talking about so feel free to go ahead with that.

For layouts other than the up-in-the-air front page design, I'd recommend taking
a shot at the issue page. It's by far the most dense and no matter what changes
we make to it I suspect it will be the most challenging single page, and the one
most likely to constrain what we can do with other pages, assuming we want those
pages to have the same overall structure as the issue pages (although maybe we
don't).

On a separate topic, what was your reasoning behind choosing red for the color?
It's a dramatic departure. I'm not opposed to a change in color scheme but I
suspect that no matter what color is proposed there will be quite a debate on
it, so it seems best to start with why you picked this one :-) BTW, the current
color is a mild tweak on the color we had for years before- I mostly did it
because it looked nicer on my MacBook Pro, not realizing at the time how
different it looked on most PC monitors. And people certainly debated it, but
given the crisis at the time I'm fairly certain my response was "hey, people, we
have bigger problems!". This, however, is a good time to think about color.

More later - I should really work on my day job...

Bobby Grace

Jul 29, 2010, 5:42:41 PM7/29/10
to gcd-tech
Regarding color: the first colors that pops into my head when I think
of comics are red and yellow, and yellow isn't very flexible. It also
a little more striking than the blue and orange. I don't use color in
many other places besides links and buttons, so I wanted to use
something a little more bold somewhere on the site.

I've taken a shot at the issue and series detail page and have
developed some markup and stylesheets for them. It's just taking time
adapt that to the code and templates. Also, I've since redesigned the
header to be more flexible, so I'm going back and editing markup and
stylesheets again.

As for the logo: it's just a modified version of what GCD currently
has that fits into the page layout.

-Bobby

Lionel English

Jul 29, 2010, 6:36:55 PM7/29/10
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Regarding color:  For a comic book site, I think primary colors are appropriate.  I agree that yellow isn't that striking and is not suitable for a main color.  We've been using blue for a long time, so red is a good (and striking) color change to draw attention to changes.  So I like the red.

Lionel English
lio...@beanmar.net

Donald Dale Milne

Jul 29, 2010, 9:49:28 PM7/29/10
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Another view: I just dislike red for nearly everything. It screams
at me, and generally stands for NO, hot, stop. Blue is a comfortable
color; I could look at our pages for hours, which I do as an approver.

A question on the proposed layout, would the links in the bottom box
also appear in a menu at the top? I do not like to have to scroll down
to the bottom of a screen to find links.

- Don Milne

Lionel English wrote:
> Regarding color: For a comic book site, I think primary colors are
> appropriate. I agree that yellow isn't that striking and is not
> suitable for a main color. We've been using blue for a long time, so
> red is a good (and striking) color change to draw attention to
> changes. So I like the red.
>
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Bobby Grace
> <johnrobe...@gmail.com <mailto:johnrobe...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Regarding color: the first colors that pops into my head when I think
> of comics are red and yellow, and yellow isn't very flexible. It also
> a little more striking than the blue and orange. I don't use color in
> many other places besides links and buttons, so I wanted to use
> something a little more bold somewhere on the site.
>
> I've taken a shot at the issue and series detail page and have
> developed some markup and stylesheets for them. It's just taking time
> adapt that to the code and templates. Also, I've since redesigned the
> header to be more flexible, so I'm going back and editing markup and
> stylesheets again.
>
> As for the logo: it's just a modified version of what GCD currently
> has that fits into the page layout.
>
> -Bobby
>

> On Jul 29, 3:42 pm, Henry Andrews <andrews_he...@yahoo.com

> <mailto:andrews_he...@yahoo.com>> wrote:
> > Sounds good. We were talking on the Board at one point about
> having a logo
> > design competition, and I (and a few others) recommended that we
> wait until we
> > have someone looking at the overall design. Both because that
> person might come
> > up with a good new logo (everyone agrees we need one) and also
> because if they
> > do not, the new design would set the context for the new logo.
> >
> > We definitely want the brand to remain GCD, and "Grand Comics
> Database" should
> > appear prominently somewhere on the front page. To explain a
> bit, it's the
> > official name of the organization, and if we switch the logo to
> be centered on

> > comics.org <http://comics.org/>, it doesn't even feel like the

> said logo might not be a bad idea at

> box/button go together

> I'm supposed to
> > be
> that, too :-D

Bobby Grace

Jul 29, 2010, 11:10:48 PM7/29/10
to gcd-tech
Don, I totally understand your sentiment. Perhaps we could allow for
the user to set their own color schemes? It may be as easy as setting
a javascript cookie, it wouldn't take any server-side development
time. It's would only really override the header colors; links,
buttons, etc. wouldn't change color, so it wouldn't be too hard. Just
an idea.

As for the links, I but them at the bottom to prioritize, we can't
feature every link all the time (for sake of simplicity and clarity),
and I felt those links were fairly low priority.

Lionel, I agree about primary colors, and red and yellow were just the
first colors that came to my head, it doesn't have to be the end of
the discussion. I could do a blue mockup as well.

-Bobby

> read more »

Lionel English

Mar 8, 2013, 6:39:27 PM3/8/13
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
I will repost a link to the files in a few minutes.
Lionel English
San Diego, CA
lio...@beanmar.net
shoebutton on Google Talk

Lionel English

Mar 8, 2013, 6:53:05 PM3/8/13
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Further discussions are in the archives from late July 2010 through August 2012.

Henry Andrews

Mar 8, 2013, 10:27:56 PM3/8/13
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
I was quite fond of the logo in the saturated blue or red.  Initially I loved the blue (it's closer to our traditional color, which I tweaked sort-of-on-purpose-but-not-entirely in the 2009 site) but the red began to grow on me as well.  Perhaps the blue for traditional and the red for my.comics.org?

cheers,
-henry

Mar 9, 2013, 12:55:24 PM3/9/13
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com