My site incredibly slow

John Fambrini

Nov 24, 2011, 6:30:58 PM11/24/11
to gantry-framework...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
My site http://www.uk-dealer.com is loading incredibly slowly since its inception, every iteration of Gantry makes it load slightly faster but only marginally. I have checked Pingdom (http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/BbpJjxC ... dealer.com) and it is reporting "Your website is slower than 92% of all tested websites" and a load time of 22.36 seconds. Even pages that have very little text take a long time to load. With RD-Autos the site was taking almost a minute to load. I applied some of the advice offered on Joomla forum threads. With Cache enabled the site began loading a little faster but Pingdom offers results that vary from 11 to 22 seconds though the site loads almost as late as before. The other solutions offered there did not make it any faster so I disabled those options.

Someone has suggested that it might have something to do with Mootools though Mootools is installed at System level and to my knowlege cannot be removed.

My site is using RT Entropy but the performance does not improve when I use normal Gantry template.

Please make suggestions as to how I can improve the performance of the site. A lot of customers are reporting that they go away frustrated because they don't want to wait for pages to load. Do I need to change the template or reinstall the site?

My bosses are getting frustrated so I hope someone here is able to offer some good suggestions.

Regards,
John

all80

Nov 25, 2011, 7:29:37 PM11/25/11
to Gantry Framework for Joomla Users
My advise is to:
a) dump the "conveyor belt" of logos.
The reasons are:
1. The script is embedded in the page instead of as an external
script. This makes the page larger than it needs to be and stops
things from displaying until it and all the images are fully loaded.
2. The images loaded by the script are over 2mb! This means the
total page size is over 2.2mb. Unless your clients are on ADSL2
If you absolutely must have this then use a Joomla module designed
for scrolling slide shows and reduce the image sizes.
You can test if this is the main problem by temporarily
unpublishing the scroller and reloading the page.

b) Install rok_gzipper and activate it. This will compress the css and
javascript files making them much smaller.

c) some of your images have been resized using html. Edit the images
to make them smaller and the correct size. This will reduce load size
even more.

If looks like gzip page compression is already active. At the moment
(not counting the logos) your page weighs in at 200kb
Documents (1 file) 22 KB (88 KB uncompressed)
Images (15 files) 94 KB
Scripts (8 files) 19 KB (101 KB uncompressed)
Style Sheets (8 files) 66 KB

Let us know what you find.

Mark

On Nov 25, 7:30 am, John Fambrini <johnfambr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> My sitehttp://www.uk-dealer.comis loading incredibly slowly since its

John Fambrini

Nov 26, 2011, 4:19:34 PM11/26/11
to Gantry Framework for Joomla Users
Dear Mark:
Thanks for getting back to me. Actually I removed the Conveyor belt a
year ago but it made no difference in speed of the site so I put it
back two months later. Your idea about an external script is
intriguing, how would I implement it?

There was a dramatic shift in speed of the site from 25 second to 2
seconds when I changed the template from Rocket Entropy to Rocket
Grunge and I thought "great, problem solved!" but then I realized that
site had no navigation menu. Menu was implemented from within Gantry
in Entropy and when I turned RokNavmenu in Grunge to bring menu online
the speed dived again. I'm getting a mootools.js error message in
Firefox so it seems that it is some conflict between RokNavmenu and
mootools.js. I remembered that I had installed mootools 1.2 update and
site had stopped working so do you have any idea how I can fix
mootools problem.

Thanks,
Regards,
John

> > My sitehttp://www.uk-dealer.comisloading incredibly slowly since its

all80

Nov 26, 2011, 10:51:07 PM11/26/11
to Gantry Framework for Joomla Users
I've looked the page in IE, FF, Chrome and Safari. There is definitely
an issue with the conveyor belt slowing the page down.

Debugging the mootools error is something I charge for.

Check that you have the latest versions of Joomla, Gantry and all
components, modules and plugins. Updating Mootools without updating
the modules using it may be a cause of the issue.

I'd recommend the following steps:
1) turn off all caching and compression
2) disable anything that uses mootools
3) turn them on one at a time. Refresh the page each time until you
get the error. Note the extension then disable it and continue with
the remaining extensions as there might be more than one error.
4) Debug the extension(s) with the errors or use an alternative.
5) Turn on compression and caching again.

Mark

> > > My sitehttp://www.uk-dealer.comisloadingincredibly slowly since its

John Fambrini

Nov 28, 2011, 4:42:33 PM11/28/11
to Gantry Framework for Joomla Users
Dear Mark:
Thanks for the detailed response.
- Site as it is: 21.2 seconds in Pingdom
- Site with rolling icons conveyor belt removed: 20.30 seconds also in
Pingdom

I have removed all unnecessary extensions. Is there a list of
extensions that use mootools somewhere on the net.

I have the latest version of Gantry and RokNavmenu.

With default Bee template the site loads in 2 seconds but of course
without the menu. The same is true of Grunge. It load instantaneously
without RokNavmenu installed. Is there another extension which might
give me menus so I may ditch RokNav?

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,
John

Andy Miller

Nov 28, 2011, 4:45:04 PM11/28/11
to gantry-framework...@googlegroups.com
RokNavMenu really shouldn't be slow, infact it's faster than the default joomla menu, especially with caching turned on. So i guess that leads to the next question, do you have Joomla caching on???

> --
>
> Gantry Framework Homepage: http://www.gantry-framework.org

John Fambrini

Nov 28, 2011, 8:32:10 PM11/28/11
to Gantry Framework for Joomla Users
Dear Andy:
Thanks for getting back to me. I had cache enabled in Global
Configuration and System Cache and Rokgantry Cache enabled in Plugins
but that was only saving a few seconds. For this experiment I turned
off the Cache as I was experimenting with response times with
different templates and with cache on changes were not registering.
Beez template without RokNavmenu is 1.98 seconds and with Roknavmenu
enabled is 19.34 seconds. I have now re-enabled all three cache once
again but I had it enabled for quite a few days but did not see very
big improvement in the long run.
Thanks,
Regards,
John

ZomiDaily.com

Nov 28, 2011, 11:09:26 PM11/28/11
to gantry-framework...@googlegroups.com, an...@rockettheme.com
Dear all,

Cache sounds good to speed up our Joomla website. But what I discover is that when we enable Cache, the Hits counter is not accurate (I guess it doesn't run the database query). The other problem is that if we use Facebook Like or Share, the link and text that generate during the Cache is enabled are different from the actual one.

Would appreciate if someone knows how to fix this.

Regards,
Joseph

Andy Miller

Nov 29, 2011, 2:44:19 AM11/29/11
to gantry-framework...@googlegroups.com
First make sure you don't turn on the joomla cache plugin, that's a full page cache and means that nothing is dynamically generated on your page.

Second, if you find a particular module is being cached too much, usually you can go in to the module properties and force cache off for that module. Do it as you need it and you should still get the performance you need.

John Fambrini

Nov 29, 2011, 3:10:18 PM11/29/11
to Gantry Framework for Joomla Users
Dear Andy:
Thanks for the tip. With cache turned on Pingdom is reporting 16.66
seconds load. The curious thing is that the next time I do a pingdom
load it keeps reporting a lower load time, first 12 second then 10
second and eventually 2 seconds but when I manually load the site no
matter how many times I do, the wait is just as long everytime not
sure if there is another tool that can give me a better estimate of
actual time of site loading.
Thanks,
Regards,
John

Stephen Brandon

Nov 29, 2011, 4:33:13 PM11/29/11
to gantry-framework...@googlegroups.com
The surest way to diagnose a problem like this is to run a profiler on it. This is easiest on your local development environment, not on the live site. I did a write-up about how to do this:

http://www.metamodpro.com/blog/php-profiling-as-a-debugging-tool-for-joomla.html

Cheers,
Stephen

Jonny O'Connor

Nov 29, 2011, 8:20:02 PM11/29/11
to gantry-framework...@googlegroups.com
I looked at this site and even checking the source code of the page takes a long time to load. This may be a hosting issue?  I would check with your host and see if they are having server issues.
Good Luck!
John

John Fambrini

Nov 30, 2011, 9:27:06 AM11/30/11
to Gantry Framework for Joomla Users
Dear Jonny:
Thanks for the tip but the curious thing is that if RokNavmenu is
disabled and there is no menu the site loads in less than 2 seconds
but as soon as RokNavMenu is enabled it is 16 plus seconds for even
the most basic template like Beez. Templates like Entropy take 22
seconds.

I have worked with my host but they think it is a Joomla issue.

Thanks,
Regards,
John

On Nov 30, 8:20 am, "Jonny O'Connor" <thejonnyos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I looked at this site and even checking the source code of the page takes a
> long time to load. This may be a hosting issue?  I would check with your
> host and see if they are having server issues.
> Good Luck!
> John
>
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Stephen Brandon <
>

> step...@brandonitconsulting.co.uk> wrote:
> > The surest way to diagnose a problem like this is to run a profiler on it.
> > This is easiest on your local development environment, not on the live
> > site. I did a write-up about how to do this:
>

> >http://www.metamodpro.com/blog/php-profiling-as-a-debugging-tool-for-...

> read more »

ZomiDaily.com

Nov 30, 2011, 9:36:29 PM11/30/11
to gantry-framework...@googlegroups.com, an...@rockettheme.com
Dear Andy and all,

I understand that we can force cache off in module. Can we also force the cache off in plugin and how?

It would be very useful if we can force cache off for Facebook plugin and comment system.

Regards,
Joseph

Jonny O'Connor

Dec 1, 2011, 11:37:13 PM12/1/11
to gantry-framework...@googlegroups.com
Well, it was worth a try!  You may also try to uninstall teh RokNavMenu and then re-Install it.  And are you using any other modules that may be using the same java script??  That may cause some issues.  Not really sure here, just spitballin'
Goodluck!

Jonny

marek.tesar

Oct 29, 2012, 6:50:19 PM10/29/12
to gantry-framework...@googlegroups.com
Hi, this is exact same problem on my site. I was beating my head to the wall with this problem. Then i make a easiest test exactly like you did - disable RokNavMenu and afterwards replaced it with alternetiv. My problem is solved. So i buy CK MAXI MENU with plugin - which is by my opinio more user friendly to clients employes - and work faster and have much more capabilities.

Also the performance issue above all mentioned above - i am getting that opinion, that latest RT templates are more and more demanding on server/client sides performance.

If i take above replacement and used it with another templates using gantry, difference in time performance is 3 seks. For example with disabled roknavmenu and replaced with CK MENU with rt_graffito, cache on, .htacces performance lines addes, minify css a js on is 5 to 6 sek, with another template is 1 - 2 sek.

Its big difference and now, when i am late with big project, i need to make decision if i will use or will not use RT template. But i want to stick to gantry so its hard decisioing.

I hope my answer help.

marek.tesar

Oct 29, 2012, 7:31:49 PM10/29/12
to gantry-framework...@googlegroups.com
Also i just found out, that using rokWheather module is performance difference with using wunderground in 6s!

Dne pátek, 25. listopadu 2011 0:30:58 UTC+1 John Fambrini napsal(a):
Hello,

Grant Preston

Oct 29, 2012, 8:56:27 PM10/29/12
to gantry-framework...@googlegroups.com
It is my understanding that RocketTheme is working on a completely new menu system that is suppose to be much better. I hope this is the case and that it is released soon as performance always matters. I've also noticed another issue with RokNavMenu in that occasionally I will see two menu items get stuck overlapping each other. Any how I hope the new menu system addresses these issues.

marek.tesar

Oct 29, 2012, 9:27:06 PM10/29/12
to gantry-framework...@googlegroups.com
Yes, i read that too. It Q about what really will be new menu system - it will be new admin client, which will be using standard menu systems solution or replacement? Its hard to say, but lately i have weird feeling about big amount new thing from RT - like they havent have much time to properly tested. Roksprocket with new UI is performance bust! working with thats is hard - slowly. this is the same on many computers at my clients.

So, for now i complety delete RokNavMenu with alternativ megaMenu and another changes is must everyone test on local pre production site properly before it goes to clients.

Grant Preston

Oct 30, 2012, 3:38:03 PM10/30/12
to gantry-framework...@googlegroups.com
RokSprocket uses AJAX which is suppose to be very fast. At least the Mosaic feature. Are you saying RokSprocket puts an undo strain on the client side? I don't have or use any speed testing tools so can you tell me more. I work on a Mac. Thanks in advance for any details.