GLUG June, tonight at 8

Padraic Harley

Jun 6, 2012, 6:45:07 AM6/6/12
to 091labs...@googlegroups.com, galwa...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

Just a quick reminder that as this is the first Wednesday of June which means that GLUG is on!

We'll be meeting from 8pm in 091 Labs and move to O'Connells around 9pm.

Looking forward to seeing ye there!

Cheers,
Padraic

--
Padraic Harley - Mobile Device

Mobile: 00 353 (0) 85 2138803
Email: pad...@091labs.com
Twitter: @pauricthelodger

Nicola Di Marzo

Jun 11, 2012, 1:48:39 PM6/11/12
to 091labs...@googlegroups.com, galwa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gerard,
we tried fedora 17 live and we noticed a very good implementation of
gnome 3 that seemed to work great.
We also tried trisquel 5.5, so far so good just the same (except my poor
wifi-card that it didn't work with it, maybe because a reconfiguration
of the wi-fi card module it was needed).

We laughed a lot in seeing videos of the new wii-u nintendo
console...totally useless and boring at the same time.

Padraic suggested me this site to learn python for beginners:
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

p.s. i passed today the lpi 101 exam 710/800, i can't believe it :-) ,
now i'm going deep for the 102.

Il 10/06/2012 18:02, Gerard Ryan ha scritto:

--
"Happiness only real when shared"
C. J. McCandless

Aaron Hastings

Jun 12, 2012, 1:29:21 PM6/12/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com

Nice one! Congratulations Nicola!

Aaron
-
Sent from my Commodore 64

Gerard Ryan

Jun 12, 2012, 9:18:50 PM6/12/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com

Carles Sentis

Jun 13, 2012, 5:18:35 AM6/13/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com
I recently reading a blog post about Unity vs Gnome Shell, somebody suggested Voyager which is a xfce distro based from Xubuntu. I haven't tried it yet but looking for the website it looks pretty solid.

I will give it spin once I get a change via USB or VM

Nicola Di Marzo

Jun 13, 2012, 6:04:11 AM6/13/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com, 091labs...@googlegroups.com
Il 13/06/2012 10:18, Carles Sentis ha scritto:
I recently reading a blog post about Unity vs Gnome Shell, somebody suggested Voyager which is a xfce distro based from Xubuntu. I haven't tried it yet but looking for the website it looks pretty solid.

interesting, i'll give it a try...
i would try also mint with cinnamon in these days...

I will give it spin once I get a change via USB or VM

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 2:18 AM, Gerard Ryan <ger...@ryan.lt> wrote:

Eugh...thunderbird messed up my previous email: I did 'reply to list'
to Padraic's message, and it just chose the first one, which was
091labs-public! :P

> we tried fedora 17 live and we noticed a very good implementation
> of gnome 3 that seemed to work great.

Cool! :D
Paul (i hope that his name is correct, sorry) showed us Gnome 3 with his ubuntu.
I really liked his configuration of gnome 3, seemed to work better than unity too.

> We also tried trisquel 5.5, so far so good just the same (except my
> poor wifi-card that it didn't work with it, maybe because a
> reconfiguration of the wi-fi card module it was needed).

Is there a free software driver available for your wireless card? With
Trisquel being a libre distro, they go to the trouble of removing all
binary blobs from the kernel, which usually tends to be hardware stuff
like wireless cards. h-node[1] is a good place to start to make sure.
I've got this inconvenience, there are only proprietary modules for my
card, otherwise I'd be running the linux-libre kernel for fedora (it's
the only thing that doesn't work).
Thanks for the link!!
I ran an lspci -v, and i realized that module driver was the same of that one loaded by ubuntu for instance.
Then I haven't investigate so much, it wasn't my intention to install trisquel...it could be a patched  module (taken from the ubuntu backport repository) or something like that.
In my future plan there's an idea to use a free-libre distro.
Do you know musix gnu/linux ? also adapted for multimedia like ubuntu studio
http://www.musix.org.ar/wordpress/?cat=5
http://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php?title=Portada_en
and the outstanding Dynebolic (it runs only live with the possibility to copy the home dir on the hd on pentium 1 64 M ram!!)
http://www.dynebolic.org/

> Nice one! Congratulations Nicola

I second this. Well done Nicola! :)
Thanks guys !! :-)

Carles Sentis

Jun 13, 2012, 9:17:40 AM6/13/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com, 091labs...@googlegroups.com
Sometime I'm still amazed by how many linux distros are out there... Too many to count..

gerryk

Jun 13, 2012, 9:24:13 AM6/13/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com
The bulk of 'distros' these days are just re-rolled Ubuntu or Debian derivitives. Not really sure what the point is, when you can generally achieve the alternative functionality from the base distro repos, but I suppose there are christian specific distributions, so why not alternative desktops too?