Funtoo hosting

Daniel Robbins

Feb 25, 2014, 1:17:00 AM2/25/14
to funtoo development mailing list
Hi All,

Some people have inquired about Funtoo-based OpenVZ hosting. I am now offering the following incentives for Funtoo supporters -- your monthly support grants you the ability to have access to the following hosting options:

== PLANS (based on level of monthly support) ==

$10 USD/mo - 3GB RAM, 4 Cores, 50GB storage, one IPv4 address

$15 USD/mo - 6GB RAM, 8 Cores, 100GB storage, one IPv4 address

$30 USD/mo - your choice of two 6GB servers as above, or single VPS:
   12GB RAM, 12 Cores, 200GB storage, one IPv4 address

$45 USD/mo - your choice of three 6GB servers as above, or single VPS:
   no CPU/RAM resource limits - 48GB RAM, 16 cores, 300GB storage

== FEATURES ==

Connectivity is multi-gigabit fiber direct to Los Angeles, California. VPS will be provided running funtoo-current. A shared Portage tree will be provided which you can choose to use and will not count towards your disk usage, or you can emerge --sync your own.

You will receive your own .host.funtoo.org host name for your VPS.

*I* will personally be providing support for your VPS.

== LIMITATIONS, DISCLAIMER, RULES, etc. ==

The VPS is for *your personal use.* NO reselling.

There is currently no Web panel - these servers will be set up using my own automated tool and you will be provided with ssh access. I can periodically reload VPS images as needed. This service is offered as a thank-you gift to Funtoo Linux supporters as long as sufficient capacity is available, with no warranty for uptime or anything else.

There are no refunds. While I host several production sites on this infrastructure, you assume all risk for hosting your production services on your VPS. I will make a best-effort-only attempt to provide support via IRC and email, and do not offer 24/7 support for your VPS. *US-Legal activities only. No spam will be tolerated.* These VPS systems are intended for funtoo enthusiasts only.

I am providing (particularly in the higher-level plans) generous default resource limits with the understanding that the VPS will be used for general Funtoo use and server stuff. Compiling with -j(NUM-CPUS+1) is encouraged (this is Funtoo, after all -- I want you to enjoy fast compiles :), but it's not okay to continually max CPU, IO, or network. No folding@home, massive file sharing, etc.

I am currently not supporting IPv6 but will look into adding such support if there is enough interest.

I am not obligated to continue this service indefinitely and I do not have unlimited capacity, so there may come a time where I can no longer offer new VPS accounts. You are responsible for backups. I reserve the right to change plans and pricing in the future.

** Depending on initial interest, I may need to request more IPv4 addresses to meet demand. Please email me at drob...@funtoo.org after signing up for Funtoo Monthly Support to request a Funtoo server. Existing subscribers can also contact me at drob...@funtoo.org to change their monthly support amount as desired. **

Best Regards,

Daniel

anak1n

Feb 25, 2014, 1:24:56 AM2/25/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, look forward to this. I will definitely do a 10$/mo one. Better than what I'm paying through Rackspace right now, much better.

Daniel Robbins

Feb 25, 2014, 1:29:48 AM2/25/14
to funtoo development mailing list
Cool :) I'm hoping this will be a good option for people in the Funtoo community who want a solid, nicely configured funtoo VPS for cheap :)

-Daniel

---
Also be sure to check out:
Funtoo Forums: http://forums.funtoo.org
Planet Larry: http://larrythecow.org

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Funtoo" group.

Richard Yao

Feb 25, 2014, 1:45:48 AM2/25/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
If this becomes popular and can scale, Funtoo could evolve into a hosting business. If it becomes really popular, you could find yourself in the position to become self-employed and possibly employ members of the Funtoo core team. That would probably be a first for an OSS project.

Jonathan Vasquez

Feb 25, 2014, 1:52:44 AM2/25/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Hey Daniel,

I'll upgrade my monthly donations to $10 as well but I won't take a server. I'll just update to help the community as usual.

Just email me if anything.

- Jon
--
Jonathan Vasquez

Daniel Robbins

Feb 25, 2014, 2:04:35 AM2/25/14
to funtoo development mailing list
Thanks, Jon - I've updated your subscription.

Raphael Bastos

Feb 25, 2014, 9:07:21 AM2/25/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Hello Daniel,

I am very happy to hear this news. I wish the $10 plan, please update my subscription. :)))))))))))))))))))

Att,
Raphael Bastos aka Coffnix

Linux Reg. User: 388431  //  LPI ID: LPI000214711
email:~> $ echo "xgvngkrhgyzuyFngiqyzuxk4ius4hx" | perl -pe \ 's/(.)/chr(ord($1)-2*3)/ge'
Yaxkin/Gentoo Linux - http://downloads.hackstore.com.br
Wiki Hackstorehttp://wiki.hackstore.com.br
Área 31 Hackerspace - http://www.area31.net.br
Kankin/Funtoo Linux - http://kankin.area31.net.br

Jacob Galbreath

Feb 25, 2014, 9:45:11 AM2/25/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Daniel,

  I would like to sign up for a $15/month service for now.  Do you have physical control of the machines, e.g. would adding hard drive space be an option if I send you the drives?  Looking to use this as a binrepo for multiple architectures.

Very Respectfully,
Jacob Galbreath

Erick Sitter

Feb 25, 2014, 10:02:42 AM2/25/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
What if we have our own domains and such?

Erick Sitter

Feb 25, 2014, 10:00:14 AM2/25/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
I'd certainly would love to do the $45/mo plan, a VPS would be great at that price point!
How much more though for 500GB of storage?

Daniel Robbins

Feb 25, 2014, 11:21:10 AM2/25/14
to funtoo development mailing list
I'm comfortable with $15/mo for +200GB storage to any of the plans.

Daniel Robbins

Feb 25, 2014, 11:24:52 AM2/25/14
to funtoo development mailing list
Jacob, yes I do have physical access to the machines. They currently have around 1.5TB storage with RAID-6. I have a drive bay open. If additional storage is needed, I can add some in a pinch, but it would be non-RAID storage. I have other storage options too.

Let's start with this: how much storage are you expecting to need?

-Daniel

Daniel Robbins

Feb 25, 2014, 11:32:21 AM2/25/14
to funtoo development mailing list
You are welcome to create DNS records to point to your static IP. :)

-Daniel

Jonathan Vasquez

Feb 25, 2014, 11:33:55 AM2/25/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com

Maybe you can put any additional drives in a ZFS pool. Each pool could be for the person owning those drives. Of course the user should know how much space they will get if they do this..

Daniel Robbins

Feb 25, 2014, 11:34:04 AM2/25/14
to funtoo development mailing list
Okay, you are ready to go. I will get your VPS configured. coffnix.host.funtoo.org is OK? :)

Regards,

Daniel

Daniel Robbins

Feb 25, 2014, 11:36:00 AM2/25/14
to funtoo development mailing list
Right now I am not doing hard quota enforcement - I will just monitor usage. This allows more flexibility and I think for the more informal/personal nature of the hosting, this is fine.

If this does well and I decided to deploy more infrastructure to keep up, then it would be fun to play with ZFS :) (Right now the servers have XFS on RAID-6)

Jonathan Vasquez

Feb 25, 2014, 11:51:47 AM2/25/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com

Does your raid 6 setup done in hardware? The reason I like ZFS is because it doesn't have the writehole issue and it's all software based.

If it's software raid 6, beware of silent inconsistent parities.

Daniel Robbins

Feb 25, 2014, 11:53:57 AM2/25/14
to funtoo development mailing list
It's hardware RAID 6.

Jacob Galbreath

Feb 25, 2014, 1:03:42 PM2/25/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Daniel,

  Thanks for your response, do be honest I don't know yet, but I wanted to know that it may be possible to expand.  I would be using this as a test build/binrepo farm for my own VPS hosting company based on Funtoo (my hosts will not be associated with this other than to pull binpkgs). :)  Data security & integrity, therefore is not as critical as capacity, processing capability, and available bandwidth.  I have no desire to make this complicated, if I needed storage expansion and I could pay more for scalable space then my curiosity is satisfied.  And I get to financially give back to the community, great deal all around!

Thanks,
Jacob Galbreath

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Funtoo" group.

Raphael Bastos

Jesse Gunne

Feb 28, 2014, 4:04:28 PM2/28/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Please upgrade my subscription to $10 so I can get in on this. Support Funtoo and have a VPS running a distro I actually want for a reasonable price is a total score.

Erick Sitter

Feb 28, 2014, 4:45:23 PM2/28/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking to start of with the $10/mo plan while developing my site, how would I pay you?...

Erick Sitter

Feb 28, 2014, 4:45:52 PM2/28/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking to start of with the $10/mo plan while developing my site, how would I pay you?...

Daniel Robbins

Feb 28, 2014, 4:48:32 PM2/28/14
to funtoo development mailing list
Use the support link on the main www.funtoo.org page on the right side -- See "Join Funtoo".

Sign up for $10/mo support, then email me with the hostname you'd like to use.

-Daniel

Erick Sitter

Feb 28, 2014, 5:05:52 PM2/28/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Ah thanks, would we be able to use our own domain name?

Daniel Robbins

Feb 28, 2014, 5:07:47 PM2/28/14
to funtoo development mailing list
Yes, just point your DNS to the IP of your box. That's your static IP.

Daniel Robbins

Mar 1, 2014, 9:05:31 PM3/1/14
to funtoo development mailing list
Hi All, just a note --

We've had 9 people sign up for Funtoo hosting -- I have six IPv4 addresses available.

Once these are gone, there may be a slight delay before I get another block of IPv4 addresses available.

If you'd like to get a hosting account set up, now is the time.

Best Regards,

Daniel

David Mitchel

Mar 2, 2014, 9:42:37 AM3/2/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
 ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ a

David Mitchel

Mar 2, 2014, 3:11:15 PM3/2/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for that, that was my 2 year old. Woke up earlier than I did and started sending emails. :(

Ritchie Zhu

Mar 4, 2014, 10:35:03 PM3/4/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Daniel for this great hosting ! I would like change my linode plan to funtoo host :)

在 2014年2月25日星期二UTC+8下午2时17分00秒,Daniel Robbins写道:

Daniel Robbins

Mar 4, 2014, 10:40:19 PM3/4/14
to funtoo development mailing list
Okay, great - please send me a private email with the hostname you would like (something.host.funtoo.org) and I will set it up.

-Daniel

Matt Miemiec

Mar 26, 2014, 11:14:55 PM3/26/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
This is awesome news! I'd gladly support Funtoo, and the hosting is a plus! :)