Funtoo Going Offline!

Daniel Robbins

Apr 17, 2014, 9:05:20 AM4/17/14
to funtoo development mailing list
All,

Due to a dispute with our current colocation provider, there is a high likelihood that Funtoo Linux sites, as well as our VPS containers offered to Funtoo users, will be going offline permanently at April 21, 2014, 5 PM US Mountain time.

Yes, you read that right. Going offline permanently. The systems will not be coming back up. There is a high probability that the servers will be held, powered off, by our colocation provider.

I do have backups of funtoo.org, but I do not back up peoples' individual VPS containers. So if you have a container, please back up all important files on it. Our colocation provider is currently limiting our bandwidth to 10Mbit/sec, so be aware that backups will take some time.

I am attempting to resolve this issue but impression is that the negotiations are not going in a good direction and I want as few people as possible to be hurt by this.

My apologies for the situation. Funtoo will return.

-Daniel

jmmc

Apr 17, 2014, 9:56:24 AM4/17/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update Daniel.

Daniel Robbins

Apr 17, 2014, 10:07:48 AM4/17/14
to funtoo development mailing list
My intention is to not be discouraged and continue with our VPS plans at a new, much friendlier datacenter provider.

When someone offers to host servers in their datacenter to help your project, with no written contract, apparently you can get hurt if they decide you are competition to their business. They are able to send a large bill and demand payment, or refuse to release your servers.

-Daniel

---
Also be sure to check out:
Funtoo Forums: http://forums.funtoo.org
Planet Larry: http://larrythecow.org

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Funtoo" group.

Raphael Bastos

Apr 17, 2014, 11:53:30 AM4/17/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Digital Ocean is problematic... Have you checked if the SoftLayer behaves Funtoo host?

Att,
Raphael Bastos aka Coffnix

Linux Reg. User: 388431  //  LPI ID: LPI000214711
email:~> $ echo "xgvngkrhgyzuyFngiqyzuxk4ius4hx" | perl -pe \ 's/(.)/chr(ord($1)-2*3)/ge'
Yaxkin/Gentoo Linux - http://downloads.hackstore.com.br
Wiki Hackstorehttp://wiki.hackstore.com.br
Área 31 Hackerspace - http://www.area31.net.br
Kankin/Funtoo Linux - http://kankin.area31.net.br

Richard Yao

Apr 17, 2014, 10:53:01 PM4/17/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com, funto...@googlegroups.com
Digital Ocean's TOS could be a problem for an OSS project. They reserve the right to terminate service should you post something offensive. They also will terminate people for using too many resources and do allow custom kernels (although it is doable if you are clever) or filesystems.

Anyway, they are a VM provider. What Daniel wants is colocation, which is not the same,

Richard Yao

Apr 17, 2014, 10:54:07 PM4/17/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com, funtoo development mailing list
Have you considered making your own data center?

jmmc

Apr 18, 2014, 8:18:20 AM4/18/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
ah, right, understood. I did not realize that hard co-lo was necessary. Re: Digital Ocean, Re: TOS...yes, agree, there could be issues with trying to use them to host a project such as Funtoo.

Erick Sitter

Apr 18, 2014, 4:18:46 PM4/18/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Aren't the distro files hosted seperately?  I mean, not on funtuoo itself?

Daniel Robbins

Apr 18, 2014, 4:24:39 PM4/18/14
to funtoo development mailing list
Funtoo is now offline. We will be back, soon. So no worries. Hang tight. Enjoy Easter :)

Distfiles are available at:

This is what www.funtoo.org/distfiles used to redirect you to.

We should try to put together a "funtoo.org is down survivial guide" for the weekend.

It's all very Easter-y. Today funtoo got crucified, but it'll rise from the dead soon. :)

-Daniel

Bartosz Nitkiewicz

Apr 18, 2014, 4:31:28 PM4/18/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com