Blogs, Guides, and Docs

jmarnold

Jun 24, 2011, 1:29:25 AM6/24/11
to FubuMVC Development Group
In case you've missed them, Chad has been writing up some great posts
on FubuCore and just started his FubuMVC series. Please read through
them and give him some feedback when you have a spare minute:
http://lostechies.com/chadmyers/2011/06/23/cool-stuff-in-fubumvc-no-1-behaviors/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LosTechies+%28LosTechies%29

For those of you looking for a jump start on FubuMVC + FubuMVC.Spark +
FubuMVC.Diagnostics + FubuValidation, I've thrown together a VERY
simple app and blog post. I took Mike Murray's git tagging idea and
wrote the post walking through various tags to get the application
running:

http://aberrantcoder.com/2011/06/fubu-spark-diagnostics-validation/

I know it's not a ton of information, but hopefully it will help point
you in the right direction while you continue to wait for us to finish
our docs. Who knows, maybe you can help us write them after this ;)

Hope this helps,
Josh

ahjohannessen

Jun 24, 2011, 6:44:42 PM6/24/11
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
I think it is time to start gather vital/cool stuff on fubu into one place. There is a wiki on fubumvc.com, one on github, some guides on fubumvc.com plus some cool blog posts in various places... If we wish uptake is it not best if there is some sort of portal for this and someone responsible for keeping this up to date?

Jaime Jhon

Jun 24, 2011, 6:53:26 PM6/24/11
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
An official FUBUMVC site for the community.
Like the guys from NH did: http://nhforge.org/

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 5:44 PM, ahjohannessen <ahjoha...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think it is time to start gather vital/cool stuff on fubu into one place. There is a wiki on fubumvc.com, one on github, some guides on fubumvc.com plus some cool blog posts in various places... If we wish uptake is it not best if there is some sort of portal for this and someone responsible for keeping this up to date?

ahjohannessen

Jun 24, 2011, 7:14:07 PM6/24/11
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
We are getting closer to a v1.0 and I think docs are a crucial part in order to grow a community. It is like we have this super advanced jet engine that only a few know how to operate. I know there are some good blog posts out there, and Chad's recent blog thunderstorm is *really* good stuff, that helps a ton for new people - we just need to make such information more easily available for potential users and contributors.

Mike O'Brien

Jun 24, 2011, 7:35:45 PM6/24/11
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
It would really be nice if there were some sort of skeleton of how you guys want the documentation to look. We could then tackle parts of it until its fleshed out.

So for example something like this:

Welcome
---- Overview
---- Philosophy
---- ---- Convention over configuration
---- ---- Yada yada
---- Routes
---- Policies
---- Yada yada
---- How To
---- ---- Create a Behavior
---- ---- Configure authentication
---- ---- Yada yada

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 7:14 PM, ahjohannessen <ahjoha...@gmail.com> wrote:
We are getting closer to a v1.0 and I think docs are a crucial part in order to grow a community. It is like we have this super advanced jet engine that only a few know how to operate. I know there are some good blog posts out there, and Chad's recent blog thunderstorm is *really* good stuff, that helps a ton for new people - we just need to make such information more easily available for potential users and contributors.

ahjohannessen

Jun 24, 2011, 7:51:25 PM6/24/11
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
FYI, Jeremy has done some similar stuff of what you mention :) -> https://github.com/DarthFubuMVC/fubumvc/wiki/Documentation

Mike O'Brien

Jun 24, 2011, 7:53:57 PM6/24/11
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
haha, awesome! :)

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 7:51 PM, ahjohannessen <ahjoha...@gmail.com> wrote:
FYI, Jeremy has done some similar stuff of what you mention :) -> https://github.com/DarthFubuMVC/fubumvc/wiki/Documentation

Sam Merrell

Jun 27, 2011, 2:01:58 AM6/27/11
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Chad's blog posts have been awesome! I've learned quite a bit I
didn't know about Fubu. Thanks Chad for the awesome work!

As for the discussion for documenting Fubu, Jeremy has made some good
strides on the wiki for sure. If we get stuck on what / how to
document
Fubu, I've always found that Django has some really awesome
documentation https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.3/ It is laid out
really well and
could provide some good pointers.

Another thing that would be good to try and get some notes or docs
from people new to Fubu. What sorts of things are they struggling
with, and what
could we do to help make starting with Fubu easier?

And on a final note, this presentation by Adrian Holovaty of Django
Fame, is awesome:
http://www.slideshare.net/jacobian/writing-great-documentation-codeconf-2011