Support for small and mid-sized meat processors

Liz Pickard

May 1, 2020, 9:04:58 AM5/1/20
to Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group
Hello all,

Thank you for all your insights and important work! I am wondering if anyone is tackling the issues that small and mid-sized meat processors are dealing with right now. I’m a dairy farmer who sells beef direct to consumer and we can not get an appointment at our only certified organic processing plant around. So we are unable to meet the demand right now and have had to turn down customers. Processing has always been a bottleneck, but these facilities are more important than ever in light of COVID-19 outbreaks and safety issues at the large processors. We need to expand opportunities for small and medium sized regional processors. I’m not super well-acquainted with the ins and outs of the local meat processing industry, but based on a few recent conversations with other farmers and our usual meat cutter in Leona, PA, here would be some good places to start:

- Permanently or temporarily remove the restrictions on retail sales of meat that requires it to be processed in a USDA-certified plant (the federal PRIME Act was introduced last fall I think and Tennessee has recently introduced something similar) so that the small mom and pop shops can be a resource for farmers to expand demand.
- Increase support for small and medium sized processors to expand their facilities
- Workforce development for skilled meat cutters
- Making sure those jobs pay a fair wage will attract young people to careers in agriculture and meat processing.
- Support for those processors to become certified organic since right now there is only one place my region (that I am aware of) in Leona, PA that can accept certified organic animals.

Is anyone tackling these issues? Have any insights?

Thanks so much,
Liz Pickard
Twin Oaks Dairy, Truxton, NY

Syracuse University, Food Studies MS 2021

Moyer, Brian F

May 1, 2020, 9:29:52 AM5/1/20
to Liz Pickard, Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group

Liz,

Thank you for raising this issue. I’ve been advocating for everything you addressed. If you don’t mind, I’d like to share your comments with some of my contacts at PDA?

I’ve also been recommending that producers take advantage of the fact that at this time consumers are buying in large quantities so can we sell more quarters or eighths and use custom processors.

Brian F. Moyer

Education Program Associate

Energy, Business and Community Vitality

PA Farm Markets Director

Penn State Extension - Lehigh

610-391-9840

Cell 484-269-0229

bf...@psu.edu

http://onefarmerslife.blogspot.com/

--
This discussion group is maintained by the Wallace Center at Winrock International for educational and informational purposes only the Wallace Center is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others; postings represent the viewpoint of the writer and are not endorsed by the Wallace Center. Wallace Center disclaims all warranties with regard to information posted to this group, whether posted by the Wallace Center or any third party. In no event shall the Wallace Center be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted to this group.

---

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "food-systems-leaders-covid-19-response-group" group.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FSLNcovidresponse/37CF8E62-BB3C-4B7A-B37B-DFC9DF714B84%40gmail.com.

Traci Bruckner

May 1, 2020, 10:56:16 AM5/1/20
to Liz Pickard, Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group
Hi Liz,

I know that there are some members of the House of Representatives who want to ensure some policy provisions for small and mid-size meat processors. Pasted here below are some I think are being encouraged to be included in the next legislative package. And there is work happening on the Senate side too. As soon as that information is out, I will share it here. For now, here are some requests that I have heard are being made on the House side:

  • Provide relief to small and very small meat and poultry processing facilities, including inspected mobile processing facilities to ensure access to rural livestock growers, by providing $10 million to the Food Safety Inspection Service to waive all USDA inspector overtime costs for plants with a USDA Grant of Inspection with less than 50 employees, and to further provide low interest loans, and grant funds, for custom facilities to improve infrastructure and safety plans to meet compliance for at minimum state inspection.
  • Create a Very Small Meat Processor Federal Inspection Reimbursement Grant Program to provide reimbursement grants to help cover costs associated with meeting Federal inspection guidelines for entities with fewer than 10 employees or annual sales of less than $2,500,000

Traci Bruckner
Policy Program Director
Sustainable Agriculture & Food Systems Funders (SAFSF)
Direct office line:
(805) 567-7276

Connect with us on LinkedIn
Follow us on twitter

Liz Ellis

May 1, 2020, 11:21:22 AM5/1/20
to Andy Shaw, Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group
Hi Andy-
Happy Friday!
I wanted to pass this info along in case you have any thoughts you would like to share with their team, or with me.
No problem if not. Just wanted to pass it along in case you hadn’t already heard this.
Many thanks!
Liz

Liz Ellis
Corporate Brand Partnerships Manager

1 World Avenue | Little Rock | AR | 72202
United States
| M: 508.471.7418
liz....@heifer.org

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original and all copies of the communication.

Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | LinkedIn

May 1, 2020, 11:39:35 AM5/1/20
to Traci Bruckner, Liz Pickard, Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group
Traci, thank you so much for posting this.  This is GREAT news and exactly the type of assistance measures we need.
Debbie

--
Debra Tropp
Principal, Debra Tropp Consulting

Karin Endy

May 1, 2020, 4:29:41 PM5/1/20
to Liz Pickard, Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group
Thank you Liz for raising these important issues.

Some processors could expand production if they had funding for additional coolers. Others have the physical capacity to expand production but need help with labor. Workforce development and wages have been, and continue to be, an issue for niche meat processors.

--
[...]

Karin Endy Consulting

Cece Bloomfield

May 3, 2020, 12:47:14 PM5/3/20
to Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group
Interesting Perspective regarding Inspection backlog:

"Supplying inspection services is a problem FSIS must solve.  If anyone implements temporary measures regarding inspection services, it will be OPM relaxing the hiring criteria to expand the manpower pool for FSIS to hire from, or Congress raising inspector salaries to entice more qualified people to apply.  CoVID has put FSIS between a rock and a hard spot just like industry." (From NMPAN Listserv)

Oklahoma Farmers and Ranchers Association

May 4, 2020, 12:03:08 PM5/4/20
to Cece Bloomfield, Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group
Thanks much to Liz Pickard for starting this conversation & for the other helpful replies!

There are two aspects of local meat processing that I haven't seen in the conversation yet:
1) Improved design for new or refurbished plants that bring animal welfare to state of art levels (eg that respect animal behavior)

2) Training for the processors (especially custom processors if exceptions for inspection are given) regarding needs of the customer driven, direct marketing, local, born, raised and finished on pasture meat "industry".

We struggle in eastern Oklahoma to find a processor who we trust to actually return our fat, our bones, even our own meat. It's so bad I was in the nascent stage of figuring out how to get a processor built for our group of growers, and now I'm concerned that there will be a rush to re-localize meat processing, but that all the plants will be is mini-versions of the industrialized plants without the animal and human welfare improvements that we want.

Quoting a colleague: "I'm just tired of working so hard and some processor takes my meat."

Hope this makes sense, and any leads on producer operated processing plants would be appreciated. (I am aware of Salatin & White Oaks Pastures.)

Thanks!
Julie
************************************
Julie Gahn, MS
Executive Director
Oklahoma Farmers and Ranchers Association

"We are managing our soil to improve the health and nutrition of the forage, the livestock, and therefore our families, friends and communities." (OFRA Mentoring Webpage)

The Oklahoma Farmers and Ranchers Association’s mission is to provide sustainable agriculture education and training for all interested including underserved and disadvantaged people.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FSLNcovidresponse/58ce6dde-33b5-42eb-8028-464c39612dce%40googlegroups.com.

Michelle Miller

May 4, 2020, 2:29:51 PM5/4/20
to Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group
I just learned that the Wisconsin Pork Producers initiated a new program called "Passion for Pork". They are processing animals through a state inspected plant and then moving product through local rural independent groceries that are suffering from out-of-stocks. As donations roll in, they are also using the money to pay for product they send to underserved food banks that can take fresh or frozen product.

In the meantime, Senators Baldwin (D-Wisc) and Hawley (R-MO) sent a letter to the FTC last week about investigating concentration in the meat industry. Four companies control 85% of the meat processing capacity in the country -- JBS (Brazil), Smithfield (China), Tyson and Cargill. See attached letter.

I will pass on your short list to our state Department of Ag -- thanks for sharing it.
FTC-Letter-Meatpacking-6b-Study.pdf

regan.emmons

May 4, 2020, 6:32:50 PM5/4/20
to Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group
Hello Elizabeth, I wanted to share that the Utah Dept of Ag and Food is temporarily certifying small businesses to process livestock for commercial purposes.
Here is more information about it:
https://ag.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/2020-4-28-UDAF-Allows-Custom-Meat-Plants-to-Process-Commercial-livestock.pdf
I hope it is helpful to you,

Cheers, Regan

Regan Emmons
Utah State University
FMPP Grant Coordinator

Nikki Seibert

May 5, 2020, 11:04:06 AM5/5/20
to Bomstein, Ellie, Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group, Sarah Blacklin, regan.emmons, lame...@ncsu.edu
Ellie et al,

I've been sharing everything from this thread (thank you ALL!!) with livestock folks in our state and I know the folks in North Carolina (NC Choices - cc'd here) also have some interesting ideas. Do you all think there is potential for this topic to be pulled into a webinar or working call? I am struggling with where to send folks reaching out to me on this issue beyond just forwarding the resources on this thread.

As someone less familiar with the meat industry, I am also curious if there are national/regional organizations that are really taking the lead on this from either a direct action or policy standpoint? I noticed a quotation from another listserv I was not familiar with. I'd love to point folks towards an industry specific org, listserv, etc - including those who serve both small to mid-sized producers as well as those working with our large contract farmers.

Thank you!!

Nikki

--
[...]

Nikki Seibert Kelley

Proud Owner of

Ni...@WitMeetsGrit.com

Cece Bloomfield

May 5, 2020, 12:04:09 PM5/5/20
to Nikki Seibert, Bomstein, Ellie, Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group, Sarah Blacklin, regan.emmons, lame...@ncsu.edu
Nikki -- Love the idea of bringing folks together on this issue!

1) There's a webinar today at 2 pm EDT called Coping with COVID-19:  Business Strategies for Small Meat Processors (https://onlinexperiences.com/scripts/Server.nxp?LASCmd=AI:4;F:QS!10100&ShowUUID=97DACF20-618C-4CC5-BEF6-BFE11EFA352B&LangLocaleID=1033&AffiliateData=1-Fusion0505Web)

2) The best source of information I've found on local meat processing is the Niche Meat Processor Assistance Network (NMPAN).There is a link on the group's webpage to register for the listserv. https://www.nichemeatprocessing.org/

3) I've been tracking the grass fed beef industry for a few years and have applied for 2 USDA grants to help local producers and meat processors generate additional revenue from value added byproducts.  One has been recommended for funding, and the other is still pending.  I would be happy to volunteer my time to help efforts toward a more local/regional, environmentally sustainable, and humane food supply chain.

Cece Bloomfield
Farm Leather
Boulder, CO

Oklahoma Farmers and Ranchers Association

May 5, 2020, 3:37:39 PM5/5/20
to Cece Bloomfield, Nikki Seibert, Bomstein, Ellie, Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group, Sarah Blacklin, regan.emmons, lame...@ncsu.edu
We recognized the problems OFRA members have had with small meat processors even before Covid-19 and would be happy to participate in this effort.

I tried replying earlier, but I haven't seen that email come through, so I'll repeat here:

Two issues that I hope will be included is that if/when public (taxpayer) funds  are spent to build more local processors and/or improve existing ones, improved processes for both human and animal welfare are part of the design process.

Sincerely,
Julie

************************************
Julie Gahn, MS
Executive Director
Oklahoma Farmers and Ranchers Association

"We are managing our soil to improve the health and nutrition of the forage, the livestock, and therefore our families, friends and communities." (OFRA Mentoring Webpage)

The Oklahoma Farmers and Ranchers Association’s mission is to provide sustainable agriculture education and training for all interested including underserved and disadvantaged people.

Tania Taranovski

May 6, 2020, 1:35:54 PM5/6/20
to Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group
Hello,

I wanted to share a few more pre-COVID-19 resources that may be of interest to folks following this thread on meat processing.
  1. Farm to Institution New England (FINE) hosted a webinar last December on local meat sourcing for institutional buyers. Speakers included Prof. Jamie Picardy from the University of Southern Maine's Food Studies Program; Rebecca Thistlethwaite, director of the Niche Meat Processor Assistance Network; and Mike Webster from The Hotchkiss School in CT.
  2. Examples of institutions supporting local meat producers and processors can be found in this case study of Unity College: https://www.farmtoinstitution.org/blog/case-study-unity-college and in this collaborative project (also featured in the above webinar) supported by the Henry P. Kendall Foundation: https://www.kendall.org/whole-animals-for-the-whole-region/
  3. Community Involved in Sustaining Agriculture (CISA) has a report on local meat processing in the Pioneer Valley (MA) that highlights many of the issues folks here have shared, with suggested ways forward. https://www.buylocalfood.org/local-meat-processing-study/
  4. Another report, from 2014, that looked at scaling up value-added meat in New England: https://www.farmtoinstitution.org/sites/default/files/imce/uploads/Beef%20to%20Institution%20Report.pdf
FINE has a wealth of farm to institution reports, case studies, articles, and more. Check out our website www.farmtoinstitution.org (all resources soon to be available via an online searchable database) or reach out if you have particular questions/needs.

Best wishes,
Tania Taranovski
Director of Programs
[...]

rkelson

May 6, 2020, 3:44:48 PM5/6/20
to Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group
We are wrangling the same issues here in MT, and have been for some time. I will research and respond with more details shortly.

Robin Kelson
Co-Executive Director
Alternative Energy Resources Organization (AERO)
Helena, MT

rkelson

May 6, 2020, 3:45:20 PM5/6/20
to Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group

Elisabeth Smith (Plng)

May 6, 2020, 3:53:51 PM5/6/20
to rkelson, Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group
Hi All,

I know this won't apply to everyone, but for those meat processors located in communities that receive HUD Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding, it may help.  HUD has allocated CDBG-CV funds specifically to address coronavirus needs and it can be used for equipment like coolers, worker protective coverings, facility expansion, or to hire more workers.  If used for labor, at least 51% of the jobs need to go to low-to-moderate income households.  This quick guide from HUD explains how the funds can be used.  https://files.hudexchange.info/resources/documents/Quick-Guide-CDBG-Infectious-Disease-Response.pdf

Regards,
Lisa

Lisa (Elisabeth) Smith, AICP, GISP

City Planner, Community Development Division

City of Omaha Planning Department

1819 Farnam St | Suite 1100 | Omaha, NE  68183

Office: 402.444.5150 x2021 | Email:  Elisabe...@cityofomaha.org

--
[...]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/FSLNcovidresponse/afdcceeb-8d07-4955-9cf2-d7f113525095%40googlegroups.com.

Marion Murphy

May 7, 2020, 12:54:10 PM5/7/20
to Marcus McCauley, Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group

to Marion Murphy, Marcus McCauley, Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group
Thank you Marion!

Liz Ellis
Corporate Brand Partnerships Manager

1 World Avenue | Little Rock | AR | 72202
United States
| M: 508.471.7418
liz....@heifer.org

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original and all copies of the communication.

Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | LinkedIn

May 7, 2020, 3:29:41 PM5/7/20
to Liz Ellis, Marion Murphy, Marcus McCauley, Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group
Hello all,

Here are some resources from the Cornell Small Farms that may be relevant to this thread.

Best,
Natalie

May 7, 2020
Dear farmers and friends,
The most common refrain we are hearing from livestock producers impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic is the need to change how they market their products. Some have never tried direct marketing meat; others suddenly need to switch their marketing from in-person to online.

Below is a collection of resources we’re highlighting because they can provide you with the information you need to navigate these changes. We will continue to update our farm resilience resource page as new information becomes available.

We send best wishes to our small dairy producers who have been very hard hit during this pandemic. There are a few resources shared below related to managing costs that we hope are helpful.

Let us know if there are other issues you are considering, in this time of COVID-19, using our form. We will try to address some of these in future messages.

Be well and keep in touch,

The Cornell Small Farms Program Team
Upcoming Webinars for Livestock Producers

Wednesday, May 13, at 7 p.m.
While conventional markets for livestock have cooled as large processors slow down production or temporarily close, NY farms are faced with a unique opportunity to market meat directly to the consumer. This workshop is designed to equip the producer with clear and simple steps towards making bulk meat sales, such as quarters, halves, and mixed-cut bundles.

Thursday, May 14 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Poultry can be a low-cost enterprise for farms, which provides fresh eggs and meat for families and communities. Join this workshop for an introduction to egg safety, handling, packaging, and regulations. This is part of a poultry management webinar series.

Thursday, May 21 rom 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Join this workshop for an overview of poultry processing options, considerations, and regulations. This is part of a poultry management webinar series.
Updated Guide Provides Regulatory Information for Marketing Livestock and Poultry Products

The Cornell Small Farms Program is pleased to announce the release of an update to the Livestock Direct Marketing Guide: Regulations Every Livestock Producer Should Know. Understanding how to legally classify, slaughter and sell your meat and poultry is crucial for running a successful operation. Laws that dictate food safety regulations change often and can be unclear. This guide provides current information to meat and poultry producers on how to legally sell their products in New York State. While this guide, like our other guides, is specific to New York State regulations, much of the information is pertinent to all livestock and poultry producers. This guide can be accessed for free as a downloadable PDF file
Cornell’s Pro-Dairy Offers COVID-19 Support

The Cornell Pro-Dairy Program has resources focused on coping with challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic. This includes informative podcasts and webinars about managing the herd and your farm labor through this crisis.

Pro-Dairy also coordinates the Dairy Advancement Program, which aims to assist New York dairy farmers to position their farm for long term economic and environmental sustainability. Funds are used to engage specialists for the implementation of record-keeping systems, financial analysis and to create business plans, to develop farmstead environmental plans, including design of practices outlined in the farm comprehensive nutrient management plan. For more information, contact Pro-Dairy's Caroline H. Potter at cj...@cornell.edu, or your local Cornell Cooperative Extension educator.
Impacted by Slaughterhouse Closures Due to COVID?

USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) is establishing a National Incident Coordination Center to provide direct support to producers whose animals cannot move to market as a result of processing plant closures due to COVID-19. Going forward, they will be assisting to help identify potential alternative markets if a producer is unable to move animals, and if necessary, advise and assist on depopulation and disposal methods.

Additionally, the USDA’s Natural Resources and Conservation Service (NRCS) will be providing state level technical assistance to producers and will provide cost share assistance under the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) in line with program guidelines for disposal.

If you are a livestock producer in NYS who is impacted by slaughterhouse closures and unable to move animals as a result, please contact Nancy Glazier at ni...@cornell.edu to provide the details of your situation (breed, number and type of animals, location).
Low Interest Rates for FSA’s Farm Storage Facility Loans

The rates for our Farm Storage Facility Loans are currently very low, and it may be worth taking advantage of these rates if your farm is in need of storage. These loans are available to anyone who grows an eligible commodity, regardless of if they can get credit elsewhere, and are to be used to build or buy permanent or portable storage and related equipment.
Sign Up for the MeatSuite to Sell Bulk Quantities of Meat

The MeatSuite website helps connect producers with consumers willing to buy bulk quantities of meat, whether quarters of beef, halves of pigs, 10+ chickens, or a bulk box of mixed cuts. Any producer in NYS can create a listing and add their products to it. We encourage CCE offices to publicize this site to make sure consumers in your county are aware of this resource to buy local meat.
Grazing Can Help Small Dairies Reduce Costs

Capturing more of your forage from pasture is an opportunity to lower your cost of production. Fay Benson, a small dairy specialist with Cornell’s South Central NY Dairy Team, explains how allowing animals to harvest their own forage and spread their own manure has been shown to reduce costs of machinery, fuel, and labor. Connect with your local extension educators for more support on expanding grazing on your farm.
Considering a Value-Added Enterprise?

This may be a good time to start exploring something for the future. Penn State Extension has an Intro to Value-Added Dairy online class that is available for free until May 10. In this online course, learn about producing dairy products, such as yogurt and cheese.
For Additional Information:

The New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets released Interim Guidance for Animal Care Operations on March 22, 2020. This guide provides sanitation procedures and recommendations for all animal care operations throughout NYS.

The American Association of Meat Processors has curated a list of COVID-19 Resources. The resources range from labor laws, food safety guidelines, and small business assistance to training videos.

The Pennsylvania Center for Dairy Excellence has a library of resources to help dairy farm families and small business owners navigate the COVID-19 crisis, including crisis management tools, stress and wellness resources, and financial planning information.

The Livestock Marketing Association has curated resources for states nationwide including current guidance and sample letters for authorization of travel for livestock haulers, dealers, auctioneers, and more.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has provided guidance for animal health and safety during this time.
Stay Connected
Do you have farm-related questions? Sometimes local questions are best answered by your neighborhood Cornell Cooperative Extension agent. Find your local contact.
Cornell Small Farms Program | 15A Plant Science BuildingCornell UniversityIthaca, NY 14853
Unsubscribe nat...@groundswellcenter.org
Update Profile | About Constant Contact
Sent by smallfar...@cornell.edu

Annalina Kazickas

May 12, 2020, 3:55:52 PM5/12/20
to Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group

Hi everyone,

Annalina here with the Wallace Center. In response to all the great discussion and resource sharing in this thread, we hope you’ll join us to further discuss the challenges faced by small and mid-sized meat processors, especially amidst covid:

"COVID-19 and Small and Mid-Sized Meat Processors: Exploring the Challenges, Solutions, and a Path Forward "

While COVID-19 has disrupted and exposed the vulnerability of large industrial meat processors, it has also highlighted new and longstanding challenges faced by small and mid-sized processors. Within this context, solutions are emerging that address the challenges in the short term and offer a path forward towards lasting change. Join Jessica Roosa from This Old Farm, Rebecca Thistlethwaite from Niche Meat Processor Assistance Network, and Kelly Nuckolls from National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition for a conversation to explore the impact that COVID-19 is having on small and medium sized meat processors, how they're adapting to these challenges, and the changes underway to alleviate pressure and long term to ensure lasting change.

This call will be hosted by the Wallace Center on Wednesday, May 13 at 1pm Eastern. Register here.

The call will be recorded and please reach out if you have any questions!

Warmly,

Annalina

Annalina Kazickas

May 14, 2020, 4:23:22 PM5/14/20
to Food Systems Leadership Network COVID-19 Response Group

*apologies for any cross posting*

Yesterday the Wallace Center hosted the COVID-19 and Small and Mid-Sized Meat Processors: Exploring the Challenges, Solutions, and a Path Forward Call to continue the discussion on this thread and further explore the impact COVID-19 is having on small and medium sized meat processors, how they're adapting to these challenges, and the efforts underway that we can support to help alleviate pressure and ensure lasting change for these critical links in our food systems. We’re grateful to have been joined by Jessica Roosa of This Old FarmRebecca Thistlethwaite from Niche Meat Processor Assistance Network, and Kelly Nuckolls from National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition to share their expertise.

Call notes, recording, and chatbox transcript can be found at this link.

Be sure to explore Niche Meat Processor Assistance Network’s website and listserv for more technical and specific information around small and mid-sized meat processing; the Wallace Center’s Pasture Project website also offers resources around grass-based livestock production systems and value-chains.

Thanks!