Updates to Manila for the OPML Editor

Jake Savin

Nov 16, 2014, 3:47:37 PM11/16/14
to fronti...@googlegroups.com
Dave and I have released some updates to Manila.root, the version of Manila that runs as a Tool inside the OPML Editor.

These changes bring Manila up to speed when running in the OPML Editor, including the ability to administer Manila via a port of the relevant parts of the Frontier Admin website.

Instructions and notes are on the Frontier News site:
http://frontiernews.wordpress.com/2014/11/16/manila-and-the-opml-editor/

If you run into any problems or bugs, or have questions about Manila, please reply to this message.

-Jake

john koch

Dec 5, 2014, 11:57:42 AM12/5/14
to fronti...@googlegroups.com
What I did:

I started with a fresh copy of Yosemite on a Mac Mini.
I downloaded OPML.app, updated it, installed manila.root in the tools menu, updated manila.root.
OPML.app runs fine.

I copied over manilaWebsites2.root from a current manila server. Put it into GuestDatabases:www: folder.
Opened it up (File > Open).
Tools > Manila > Install Site:
Picked one of the websites and gave it the URL of the Mac mini with the appropriate website name suffix (natasha)
Opened the URL 127.0.0.1:5337/natasha and it opened the home page of the Manila site. I can navigate the site links successfully.

I did Tools > Manila > Set Admin Password...
I tried Tools > Manila > Open Admin Site...

and it tried to go to http://127.0.0.1:5337/manila

500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR

There is no folder or object database named "manila" in the folder "Mac OS X:Applications:OPML:Guest Databases:www:".

How to proceed?

Thanks.

John Koch

Jake Savin

Dec 5, 2014, 5:25:01 PM12/5/14
to fronti...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

I’ll do a run through the same scenario here and see if I can reproduce what you’re seeing. It sounds like the admin site didn’t get registered properly. It should have been configured automatically when you installed manila.root. If I don’t get a report here, then I’ll send some instructions for doing it manually.

Cheers,
-Jake

john koch

Jan 12, 2015, 3:15:53 PM1/12/15
to fronti...@googlegroups.com
Any updates? Thanks. John

john koch

Aug 2, 2015, 2:53:35 PM8/2/15
to frontier-user
Jake,

Still have a computer sitting that I would like to use as a Manila server under Yosemite. Could you see why the admin site didn't get set up right (or how to fix it)?

Thanks.

John

Ted Howard

Aug 3, 2015, 2:18:48 PM8/3/15
to fronti...@googlegroups.com
On Aug 2, 2015, at 1:53 PM, john koch <john....@gmail.com> wrote:

Still have a computer sitting that I would like to use as a Manila server under Yosemite. Could you see why the admin site didn't get set up right (or how to fix it)?

I don’t know much about Manila, but I’m somewhat familiar with how Frontier does some things.

 - I did a fresh OPML Editor install
 - I launched OPML.app
 - I let it update opml.root
 - I clicked on Misc —> Tool Catalog… in the menubar
 - I clicked Install next to Manila
 - When the tool installed, I went to Tools —> Manila —> Open Admin Site
    - A browser opens to http://127.0.0.1:5337/manila/
    - 500 Internal Server Error
      - There is no folder or object database named "manila" in the folder "Macintosh HD:Applications:OPML:Guest Databases:www:”.

 - Next, I took a look at user.webserver.responders.websiteFramework.data.doctree

 - When I open http://127.0.0.1:5337/manilaAdmin/ in my browser, I get the Manila Admin site. It looks like the only problem is that the link in Manila —> Open Admin Site is incorrect.

john koch

Aug 5, 2015, 2:32:18 PM8/5/15
to frontier-user
Ted,

Thanks. That was a huge help. I can get the admin site up now. I had to manually change the url to get to some settings pages, but that was OK. I'm now trying to get the manila pages served externally. They come up at 127.0.0.1:5337, and to external machines at port 5337. But I turn on "Web Server on port 80", but I get "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" when I use the URL or IP for the box without a port. Is there a setting to get what's on port 5337 to be served out of port 80? Or is that web server only for OPML stuff?

Ted Howard

Aug 5, 2015, 2:44:18 PM8/5/15
to fronti...@googlegroups.com
On Aug 5, 2015, at 1:32 PM, john koch <john....@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks. That was a huge help. I can get the admin site up now. I had to manually change the url to get to some settings pages, but that was OK.

Great! I’m glad that helped.

I'm now trying to get the manila pages served externally. They come up at 127.0.0.1:5337, and to external machines at port 5337. But I turn on "Web Server on port 80", but I get "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" when I use the URL or IP for the box without a port. Is there a setting to get what's on port 5337 to be served out of port 80? Or is that web server only for OPML stuff?

Please let me know if following those steps work.

Ted

Dave Winer

Dec 26, 2019, 11:41:37 AM12/26/19
to frontier-user
Good morning!

I'm now following in John Koch's steps.

I'm restoring the XML-RPC site, a lot of content is gone, because I did the last restoration in a bad way, when I had to turn off Frontier on a server a few years back and had no time to invest in doing this right. Now I want to do it right once, and put this site to bed forever.

I have a bunch of Manila sites here that could use similar treatment.

I am trying to get the same thing done John Koch has been trying for five years now. I want to get this done, documented and routine. The job is this --

1. I have a Manila site.

2. I want to statically render it.

I feel like I should be able to do this. At one point I mastered all of Manila, and I have all the pieces. But my memory is very sketchy.

Dave

Grant

Dec 26, 2019, 1:13:17 PM12/26/19
to frontier-user
Funny thing how memories fade. I tried to do this 7.5 years ago - just before I retired. The attached python script link got us a long way towards the goal. (At least good enough for an archive that I was mostly concerned with.)
https://www.distlearn.ca/video/scrape-manila.pyold (I had to change the extension so it wouldn't try to execute. Just change it back to py. At least some ideas to explore.)

Dave Winer

Dec 26, 2019, 1:15:04 PM12/26/19
to frontier-user
I've already done something like that with not-good results. Lots of missing pages. I want to do it the right way now, once and for all, using Manila itself to generate the static pages.

I also want to get Manila running for real, so in case this comes up in the future, I don't have to go through this depressing process again.

Dave

Grant

Dec 26, 2019, 1:52:14 PM12/26/19
to frontier-user
Yes. I feel dumb. I was out moving snow and realized you want to get Manila working. This script works on an operating server. So not useful. Sorry.
Grant
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to fronti...@googlegroups.com.

Jake Savin

Dec 27, 2019, 4:48:03 PM12/27/19
to fronti...@googlegroups.com
Catching up here...

I think if we can get Manila running in the OPML Editor again, it's static sites feature might help. It's been a while but I don't think it will render all the discussion pages but other pages should be able to be rendered to disk.

Unfortunately I don't have time to look into this now because I'm visiting family for the holidays, but I might be able to spend an hour or two over the weekend and see how far I can get.

-Jake
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to frontier-use...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/frontier-user/a01e0c90-edd6-4ef8-9ce2-8cd4b293573f%40googlegroups.com.

Dave Winer

Dec 27, 2019, 4:50:07 PM12/27/19
to frontier-user
Jake, thanks for checking in.

This project has been waiting for years, a few days won't make a difference. And the DG pages are not important. They aren't part of a statically rendered site.

We could also have a phone talk to make sure we don't try to do too much.

Dave