Options for Mac users

Dave Winer

Nov 17, 2013, 12:08:13 PM11/17/13
to fronti...@googlegroups.com
First, let me remind you all that the charter for this list really doesn't permit griping about companies that have been gone for many years. It's a support list, where users of Frontier ask for help from other users. It's unmoderated, but if the gripes of the past come back to haunt us it will become a moderated list, so please stay on-topic. ;-)

So here are the choices that exist today for people using Frontier or the OPML Editor, as I see it.

1. Don't update your Mac to Mavericks. That's what I'm doing. I depend on the OPML Editor for my daily work. I'm concerned that one of Apple's automatic updates will update me to Mavericks since it's a free release. So I'm avoiding those as well.

2. Run the Windows version of the OPML Editor in VMWare or Parallels.

3. Run the Windows version of the OPML Editor on Linux using Wine.

The Windows version seems to be in decent shape for the foreseeable future.

About doing the work to get the codebase to run under Mavericks, one of the original guys tried to do this, but gave up. Too much had changed. The GDI on the Mac has changed, as has the networking model. We had been using deprecated APIs for a long time. They finally pulled the plug on them.

However -- if you want to pursue that approach, it's best to use the tools available like Kickstarter or Indiegogo and let's pool the money and then try to attract the developers. I would say a bounty of $25K would probably get some interest. But we'd have to be careful to employ someone who has the programming ability to deliver. There are a lot of people floating around who say they're gutsy programmers, who would probably not be able to do this port. Frontier is a pretty complex piece of software internally. But it is organized in layers, so the work probably is fairly compartmentalized.

Dave

Dave Winer

Nov 17, 2013, 2:25:56 PM11/17/13
to fronti...@googlegroups.com

Dave Winer

Nov 17, 2013, 4:24:58 PM11/17/13
to fronti...@googlegroups.com

Ted Howard

Nov 17, 2013, 5:32:10 PM11/17/13
to fronti...@googlegroups.com
I have a build on my Mac at home that uses Brent's socket net events. I did not realize this was the only piece needed for Mavericks.

I'm away from my Mac now, but I can share this later.

Ted

Ted C. Howard
http://tedchoward.com
http://twitter.com/tedchoward

Dave Winer

Nov 17, 2013, 8:31:49 PM11/17/13
to fronti...@googlegroups.com
Hey that's great news Ted!

Let's give it a try..

Dave

Karsten Wolf

Nov 17, 2013, 10:26:16 PM11/17/13
to fronti...@googlegroups.com
I have forked the frontier at github/scripting/frontier, integrated Brents MacSocketNetEvents.c and made it compile with the 10.5 SDK.

The fork is at:

https://github.com/karstenw/frontier/

The binaries are at my dropbox:

http://goo.gl/Rs1ffJ

Since I only occasionally use Frontier/OPML-Editor I only checked if the binaries start and load the standard databases which they did.

For OSX > 10.6 you'll have to check yourself.

-karsten

Ted Howard

Nov 18, 2013, 11:56:25 AM11/18/13
to fronti...@googlegroups.com
On 11/17/2013 07:31 PM, Dave Winer wrote:
> Hey that's great news Ted!
>
> Let's give it a try..
>
> Dave

The following build includes Brent's socket-based net events code. I
built it on 10.6 but linked it against the 10.4 SDK. (10.5 has some API
collisions with MoreFilesX. I've been playing around with this code for
some time, and I have a build that links against 10.5, but I'd rather
not push my hacks out at this point.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3369718/OPML.zip

(If anyone's interested, I have a github repo that I set up a few years
ago that mirrors the frontierkernel.org svn repository. I've published
these changes there. https://github.com/tedchoward/Frontier)

Please let me know how this works.

Ted