Windows: Self- extracting installer - FriCAS (64 bits)

Grégory Vanuxem

Nov 1, 2020, 6:26:33 AM11/1/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Below is a link to a self-extracting installer of FriCAS for Windows 64 bits.
By default the directory installation is C:\Users\your login name\AppData\local\FriCAS (user dependent installation). It contains FriCAS and Windows idiosyncratic things like the uninstall.exe file, start menu shortcuts, registry keys etc.

Downloaded from GitHub master branch -  20201101 - 07:11 AM UTC

Build parameters:
$ ../fricas/configure '--with-lisp=sbcl --control-stack-size 512 --dynamic-space-size 4096' --enable-gmp --enable-algebra-optimization="((speed 3) (safety 0))"

SBCL version: 2.0.6

There is no internal graphics support nor documentation browser. They require a X server (Xorg for example). If you want to use them on Windows install the WSL internal Microsoft component, Xorg, a Window Manager and xrdp. You'll have to build FriCAS yourself in that environment (very easy).

Test Results:
$ make check | grep 'failed (total)\:'
     failed (total): 0 (2)
     failed (total): 0 (3)
     failed (total): 0 (2)
     failed (total): 0 (30)
     failed (total): 0 (16)
     failed (total): 0 (12)
     failed (total): 0 (8)
     failed (total): 0 (9)
     failed (total): 0 (13)
     failed (total): 0 (5)
     failed (total): 0 (14)
     failed (total): 0 (10)
     failed (total): 0 (24)
     failed (total): 0 (20)
     failed (total): 0 (25)
     failed (total): 0 (6)
     failed (total): 0 (7)
     failed (total): 0 (1)
     failed (total): 0 (1)
     failed (total): 0 (1)
     failed (total): 0 (3)
     failed (total): 0 (4)
     failed (total): 0 (5)
     failed (total): 0 (1)
     failed (total): 0 (2)
     failed (total): 0 (1)
     failed (total): 0 (3)
     failed (total): 0 (7)
     failed (total): 0 (13)
     failed (total): 0 (397)
     failed (total): 0 (4)
     failed (total): 0 (4)
     failed (total): 0 (65)
     failed (total): 0 (1)
     failed (total): 0 (1)
     failed (total): 0 (6)
     failed (total): 0 (3)
     failed (total): 0 (1)
     failed (total): 0 (1)
     failed (total): 0 (21)
     failed (total): 0 (1)
     failed (total): 0 (2)
     failed (total): 0 (1)
     failed (total): 0 (3)
     failed (total): 0 (1)
     failed (total): 0 (2)
     failed (total): 0 (1)
     failed (total): 0 (1)
     failed (total): 0 (8)
     failed (total): 0 (4)
     failed (total): 0 (1)
     failed (total): 0 (2)
     failed (total): 0 (5)
     failed (total): 0 (3)

Enjoy!

__
G. Vanuxem

Kurt Pagani

Nov 1, 2020, 12:20:17 PM11/1/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Grégory

Great, I've installed and tested - works perfectly (even system and history :)
Couldn't this be added to a "release" tab on github/fricas?

>> If you want to use them on Windows install the WSL

There are still plenty users of Windows <= 7 where WSL is (unfortunately) not
available. Therefore it's worthwile to have this (also works fine wirh TeXmacs).

Many thanks
Kurt
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fricas-devel/CAHnU2dYAZ1-fq1-MLOmTrd-cUZ4%2Bex5fOGtEAVRXVy%2BsEDGJPQ%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fricas-devel/CAHnU2dYAZ1-fq1-MLOmTrd-cUZ4%2Bex5fOGtEAVRXVy%2BsEDGJPQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
fricas_20201101.pdf

Dima Pasechnik

Nov 1, 2020, 12:38:18 PM11/1/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 5:20 PM Kurt Pagani <nil...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Grégory

Great, I've installed and tested - works perfectly (even system and history :)
Couldn't this be added to a "release" tab on github/fricas?

>>  If you want to use them on Windows install the WSL

There are still plenty users of Windows <= 7 where WSL is (unfortunately) not
available. Therefore it's worthwile to have this (also works fine wirh TeXmacs).

Even WSL-capable Windows installations are sometimes provisioned in a way that makes
installing WSL impossible - I came across such installations in our department.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fricas-devel/faf9ec3e-ef65-f672-9ba6-b65199b60563%40gmail.com.

Grégory Vanuxem

Nov 2, 2020, 8:23:00 AM11/2/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Hello Kurt,

Le dim. 1 nov. 2020 à 18:20, Kurt Pagani <nil...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi Grégory
>
> Great, I've installed and tested - works perfectly (even system and history :)
> Couldn't this be added to a "release" tab on github/fricas?

I don't know what you mean here, I am not fluent with GitHub in fact,
I know only the basis.

> >> If you want to use them on Windows install the WSL
>
> There are still plenty users of Windows <= 7 where WSL is (unfortunately) not
> available. Therefore it's worthwile to have this (also works fine wirh TeXmacs).

Yes you're right, I always forget. I switched all computers at work
from Windows 7 to Windows 10 when the upgrade was free. I was aware it
was still buggy but after several big updates it became more stable.
Some people were angry ;)

> Many thanks

t's me, thank you.

Just a question, apparently you added some links to FriCAS
documentation in the start menu entry, may I know to what they refers?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fricas-devel/faf9ec3e-ef65-f672-9ba6-b65199b60563%40gmail.com.

--
__
G. Vanuxem

Ralf Hemmecke

Nov 2, 2020, 8:28:45 AM11/2/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
>> Great, I've installed and tested - works perfectly (even system and history :)
>> Couldn't this be added to a "release" tab on github/fricas?
>
> I don't know what you mean here, I am not fluent with GitHub in fact,
> I know only the basis.

Don't worry Gregory, that was a hint for me to add it to
fricas.github.io (which I will gladly do).

Ralf

Grégory Vanuxem

Nov 2, 2020, 8:36:04 AM11/2/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dima,

Le dim. 1 nov. 2020 à 18:38, Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 5:20 PM Kurt Pagani <nil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Grégory
>>
>> Great, I've installed and tested - works perfectly (even system and history :)
>> Couldn't this be added to a "release" tab on github/fricas?

>> There are still plenty users of Windows <= 7 where WSL is (unfortunately) not
>> available. Therefore it's worthwile to have this (also works fine wirh TeXmacs).
>
> Even WSL-capable Windows installations are sometimes provisioned in a way that makes
> installing WSL impossible - I came across such installations in our department.

I suspect an IT security policy in your department, isn't it?

It's a pity, Microsoft, even if I'm not a fan, has done a good job and
becomes more and more better since its fall during B. Gates departure
(WIndows 8, 8.1, Windows phone...).

Cheers,

--
__
G. Vanuxem

Grégory Vanuxem

Nov 2, 2020, 9:20:23 AM11/2/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com, Waldek Hebisch
Hi,
Ok, thanks. You know I'm still living in the world of CVS and unified
patch... Shame on me...
If I had to learn every version control system that would be so time
consuming, Apache, Mercurial, AWS, Microsoft Team etc.
I admit it would be better for me to better know Git.

So I'll send you the .nsis file when it'll be cleaner. It's the
configuration file to build the self-extracting installer, it requires
some cosmetic changes. And several other files, .ico and a batch file
to export environment variables and start FriCAS. Moreover, attached
is a patch proposition to the function OBEY in vmlisp.lisp. I sent it
here before, it can be better for sure but the historical Windows
terminal, cmd.exe, is not a Unix-like shell. With this patch on
Windows you can run FriCAS from/with cmd.exe, PowerShell (a more
sophisticated Windows Terminal also available as an open source
project for several OS including Linux) and MSYS terminals (an
Unix-like environment).

BTW, Waldek, don't you think that FriCAS needs an updated licence,
actually it's still the one from NAG?

Cheers,

> Ralf
>
> --

__
G. Vanuxem
vmlisp.diff

Ralf Hemmecke

Nov 2, 2020, 9:25:16 AM11/2/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
>> Don't worry Gregory, that was a hint for me to add it to
>> fricas.github.io (which I will gladly do).
>
> Ok, thanks. You know I'm still living in the world of CVS and unified
> patch... Shame on me...

Uih... that will be a shock for you to use git. But it is really worth
it. git is not github. I also don't know all the github details and
updating fricas.github.io is done by locally running sphinx and then git
push. So no github-fu.

> If I had to learn every version control system that would be so time
> consuming, Apache, Mercurial, AWS, Microsoft Team etc.
> I admit it would be better for me to better know Git.

Yes, learn git and tell the others that they should switch. ;-)

Ralf

Dima Pasechnik

Nov 2, 2020, 9:33:48 AM11/2/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
you can also upload tarballs to the releases on Github, e.g. to
https://github.com/fricas/fricas/releases/tag/1.3.6
(if you have write access you can click on Edit button and upload tarballs)

> Ralf

Grégory Vanuxem

Nov 2, 2020, 9:48:38 AM11/2/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Le lun. 2 nov. 2020 à 15:25, Ralf Hemmecke <ra...@hemmecke.org> a écrit :

> >> Don't worry Gregory, that was a hint for me to add it to
> >> fricas.github.io (which I will gladly do).
> >
> > Ok, thanks. You know I'm still living in the world of CVS and unified
> > patch... Shame on me...
>
> Uih... that will be a shock for you to use git. But it is really worth
> it. git is not github. I also don't know all the github details and
> updating fricas.github.io is done by locally running sphinx and then git
> push. So no github-fu.

I was joking a little, personally I have GitHub desktop but I can use
Atom, or a VSCode extension.
If you don't know VSCode, for Windows users who like to work in WSL
and on Windows transparently without Xorg, VSCode is marvelous. Inside
this editor/IDE you can switch from WSL to Windows and vice versa in
just one shortcut or click (Linux -> Windows - Windows -> Linux).

I do not know sphinx, I'll look at it, thanks.

> > If I had to learn every version control system that would be so time
> > consuming, Apache, Mercurial, AWS, Microsoft Team etc.
> > I admit it would be better for me to better know Git.
>
> Yes, learn git and tell the others that they should switch. ;-)
>
> Ralf
>
> --

__
G. Vanuxem

Grégory Vanuxem

Nov 13, 2020, 6:02:22 AM11/13/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
ok go hup
--
__
G. Vanuxem

Grégory Vanuxem

Nov 13, 2020, 6:14:17 AM11/13/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Go up (intensional)

Grégory Vanuxem

Dec 1, 2020, 3:48:38 AM12/1/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I attached a NSIS file to build a Windows self installing executable.
What is required is to modify the file to reflect the path where the
files to be included are. It could be added to src/contrib for
example. It builds a compliant installer with actual policies, that is
install FriCAS just for the user, in its "home" directory, or system
wide. It modifies the registry for a good uninstallation process and
adds start menu entries.

If there is interest in it, I can also send the NAG license file in
rtf format, a quickly did .ico file (they are required for the
installer), and a README file to explain how to use it to build an
installer.

Cheers
--
__
G. Vanuxem

Grégory Vanuxem

Dec 1, 2020, 11:13:34 AM12/1/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to say, if the .ico, licence and batch files are added in the FriCAS source tree, this script file can be adapted to pick-up directly bin and lib directories in the installer using relative path in such way the NSIS builder will just have to load this file and  build the installer.