Getting Started with FreeMED

lmoroney

Oct 5, 2011, 7:13:15 PM10/5/11
to FreeMED Support
Is there a definitive list of instructions somewhere that shows how to
get up and running with FreeMED, including Remitt easily?

I tried the VM, but it didn't work. Would love to know what to do
next...

Jeff

Oct 5, 2011, 10:09:23 PM10/5/11
to freemed...@googlegroups.com

I had put together a list, but I'm having trouble finding it at the moment.

If you'd like, there's a development VM which has REMITT + FreeMED +
Eclipse all set up. Go here for the VirtualBox image:

http://www.freemed.info/.download/freemed_vm/FreeMED%20Development.7z

--
Thanks,
Jeff

volkerbradley

Oct 6, 2011, 2:25:12 PM10/6/11
to freemed...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
What version of FreeMED are you hoping to install?
As you know, the development version is not in official Beta stage yet.  Installation instructions have not been been published for this version.
That being said, you can ask here how to download the development version and then ask for help in stepwise fashion.
If you want to install the older version which is v0.8.5, then follow the installation instructions that are present in this site.
v0.8.5 has been in clinical use for years and is quite stable.  Development is no longer occurring in that version.
I'm interested in your comment that the VM did not work.  Which VM?  Was it the VM for v0.8.5 or v0.9.0. What happened when you tried to use it?
Both VM's seem to work perfectly for others.
Volker

Laurence Moroney

Oct 6, 2011, 2:30:46 PM10/6/11
to freemed...@googlegroups.com
Any one that works :)

Downloading and installing the development version would be great -- just trying to grok how the thing works :)

Starting with the OS -- what OS should I use to get the easiest install? I've seen lots of instructions about running .sh files, which are Linux-based, but I've had a lot of pain with software where it works on one distro, but not another :)

The ISO I have is freemen-live-0.1-i386.iso -- I ran it in VMWare, and was able to boot into a Linux desktop. It launches a browser that points nowhere, and I can't figure out what to do next…

Thanks for the help!
Laurence

Jeff

Oct 6, 2011, 3:06:42 PM10/6/11
On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Laurence Moroney <lmor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any one that works :)
> Downloading and installing the development version would be great -- just
> trying to grok how the thing works :)
> Starting with the OS -- what OS should I use to get the easiest install?
> I've seen lots of instructions about running .sh files, which are
> Linux-based, but I've had a lot of pain with software where it works on one
> distro, but not another :)
> The ISO I have is freemen-live-0.1-i386.iso -- I ran it in VMWare, and was
> able to boot into a Linux desktop. It launches a browser that points
> nowhere, and I can't figure out what to do next…

I would suggest trying to run the VirtualBox development image, which
has a configured development environment as well as a configured
instance of FreeMED 0.9.x in it.

http://www.freemed.info/.download/freemed_vm/FreeMED%20Development.7z

I didn't really gear development towards Mac or Windows machines
because I have neither, although it's theoretically possible to do it,
since GWT and Eclipse will both function under any of those
environments.

Laurence Moroney

Oct 7, 2011, 6:52:31 PM10/7/11
to freemed...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for all the noob questions.

I got the virtual box downloaded and installed. I got freemed up and running within it. Thanks! :)

With respect to Remitt, I've been poking through the code, but can't figure out how it's working.

I see some Java files, and compiled classes, but no WAR or EAR file…I see the WSDL files for the service, and assume the PHP is consuming said service, but what is the URL call http://localhost/something to access the service?

Can the Remitt java be compiled in this environment? I see Eclipse is present…

Thanks!
Laurence

Ok, so I go the development

Michael Duke

Oct 8, 2011, 3:42:24 PM10/8/11
to freemed...@googlegroups.com
Hi Laurence,

Few months ago I killed a bit of time trying to get freemed 9.x and remitt 5.x installed and running.
If I remember correctly the development box didn't have remitt in it installed. There was only freemed there. May be the situation got changed since. In any case below i will post steps I used to install freemed and remitt. Let me know if you find these instructions useful and /or if you find errors.

If you think remitt is running you should be able to see if you  point browser to

http://localhost:8080/remitt/index.jsp

These do not include eclipse installation. I was just interested to test and evaluate freemed 9.x and remitt for use as a billing software. As OS I used ubuntu 10.4 running in VMWare

1. FreeMED 9.x Installation and Configuration

On Ubuntu 10.4 running on VMWare increase memory to 1G

#Update ubuntu

sudo apt-get update

# Install prerequisites, when prompted for mysql root user password, enter [MySqlRootPswd]

sudo apt-get install eclipse openjdk-6-jdk subversion mysql-{client,server}-5.1 php5-{mysql,cli,cgi,gd,curl} gs dcmtk djvulibre-bin libapache2-mod-php5 apache2 netpbm graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat php5-xcache maven2 libmysql-java

# check out freemed from trunk
sudo svn co http://svn.freemedsoftware.org/freemed/trunk /usr/share/freemed

#create freemed database
mysqladmin --user=root -p create freemed
password:[MySqlRootPswd]

# log into database and create freemed application user (see settings.php for userid/password [freemed]/[freemed]  )

user@ubuntu:~$ mysql -u root -p
Enter password: [MySqlRootPswd]

mysql> grant all privileges on *.* to 'freemed'@'localhost' identified by 'freemed' with grant option;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
mysql>exit;

#configure apache to read and process the freemed directory
#This is done by editing the apache file /etc/apache2/apache2.conf

sudo gedit /etc/apache2/apache2.conf
#Then add the following at the end of the apache2.conf file to tell apache to load index.php files, to associate .php with php:

DirectoryIndex index.php
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
Alias /freemed  /usr/share/freemed

<Directory "/usr/share/freemed">
Options Indexes Includes ExecCGI MultiViews FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

# Setup phpmyadmin location with proper permissions, etc
# only internal ip addresses will access phpmyadmin
Alias /phpmyadmin /usr/share/phpmyadmin
<Directory "/usr/share/phpmyadmin">
            Order deny,allow
            Deny from all
            Allow from 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 ::1/128
</Directory>

#Restart apache
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

#create and edit settings.php
cd /usr/share/freemed/lib/
sudo cp settings.php.tpl settings.php
sudo gedit settings.php

define ('INSTALLATION', "Development"); // installation name
define ('DB_HOST', "localhost"); // database (SQL) host location
define ('DB_NAME', "freemed"); // database name
define ('DB_USER', "freemed"); // SQL server username
define ('DB_PASSWORD', "freemed"); // SQL server password
define ('PATID_PREFIX', "P"); // used to generate internal practice ID
define ('UI', "gwt"); // set default template
define ('HOST', "localhost"); // host name for this system
define ('BASE_URL', '/freemed'); // offset (i.e. http://here/package)
define ('SESSION_PROTECTION', true); // strong session protection?
define ('RECORD_LOCK_TIMEOUT', 180); // record lock timeout in seconds
define ('DEFAULT_LANGUAGE', "en_US"); // default language
define ('INIT_ADDR',"127.0.0.1"); // this is the only IP address that can run the init wizard...
// Archive settings
define ('FSF_USERNAME', "none");
define ('FSF_PASSWORD', "none");

#Now you are ready to build the GWT interface for freemed:
cd /usr/share/freemed/ui/gwt
sudo make
# run this script otherwise procrec and payrec tables are not created
cd /usr/share/freemed
sudo ./data/source/cpt/download-and-prepare.sh

#execute install script:
#Answer yes to 2 first questions
#Enter user id / password when prompted
# This will be your FreeMED Administrator (not previously specified MySQL root user and not freemed application user found in the settings)
cd /usr/share/freemed
./scripts/install.php
#execute module indexing script
cd /usr/share/freemed
./scripts/cron/module.php

#point firefox to http://localhost/freemed/index.php
# log with FreeMED Administrator credentials set during install.php script execution

2. Remitt 5.x Installation and Configuration

#On Ubuntu 10.4 running on VMWare increase memory to 1G
#Install REMITT after FreeMED 9.x has been installed
#note: mysql password for root user was set as part of freeemed install [freemed]
# Install required packages:

sudo apt-get install tomcat6 tomcat6-docs tomcat6-admin tomcat6-user

# Checkout remitt project from SVN :

sudo svn co http://svn.freemedsoftware.org/remitt/trunk /usr/share/remitt

# Install dependencies:
cd /usr/share/remitt/
sudo sh install-deps.sh

# Create remitt database in MySQL

cd /usr/share/remitt/sql
sudo sh import-all.sh

[sudo] password for user: [password]
 - Creating MySQL account for REMITT user (please enter password
   for root user when prompted, otherwise hit "enter"):
Enter password: [freemed]        // this is obviously the same root user used for previous freemed install
 - Importing ddl.sql :

user@ubuntu:~/remitt/sql$ cd ~

user@ubuntu:~$ mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 29250
Server version: 5.1.41-3ubuntu12.7 (Ubuntu)
Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

mysql> grant all privileges on *.* to 'remitt'@'localhost' identified by 'remitt' with grant option;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
mysql>exit;

# Compile project (create .war file). Execute build command

cd /usr/share/remitt
sudo mvn clean install

# Modify tomcat user file
sudo gedit /etc/tomcat6/tomcat-users.xml

<tomcat-users>
  <role rolename="manager"/>
  <role rolename="admin"/>
  <user username="mike" password="tomcat" roles="manager,admin"/>
</tomcat-users>

# restart tomcat
sudo /etc/init.d/tomcat6 restart
# Point firefox to  http://localhost:8080/
# Select link to Start tomcat manager
# Login with mike/tomcat (see above edits to tomcat-users.xml file)
# Deploy remitt by browsing to the remitt.war file and hit deploy
# this action copies remitt.war to /var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/remitt.war

# Point firefox to http://localhost:8080/remitt/index.jsp

# You should see REMITT asking for user/password  (enter “Administrator/password”)

Jeff

Oct 9, 2011, 7:56:28 PM10/9/11
On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Laurence Moroney <lmor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for all the noob questions.
>
> I got the virtual box downloaded and installed. I got freemed up and running within it. Thanks! :)
>
> With respect to Remitt, I've been poking through the code, but can't figure out how it's working.
>
> I see some Java files, and compiled classes, but no WAR or EAR file…I see the WSDL files for the service, and assume the PHP is consuming said service, but what is the URL call http://localhost/something to access the service?
>
> Can the Remitt java be compiled in this environment? I see Eclipse is present…

Sure, you can open the REMITT project in Eclipse if you want to work
on it or manage the build from there.

Otherwise "mvn package" will build a war file for you. Once installed
in a tomcat container, hitting /remitt/ will give you an HTML
interface which allows you to do basic admin tasks and also has the
link for remote services (SOAP/REST). You'll need to make sure the
"remitt" MySQL database is initialized. If you haven't done it
already, look in the ddl directory of the REMITT svn repository for
the source table definitions, etc. Default u/p for the REMITT
interface is "Administrator" and "password".