Freecellera mission statement, revised, plus values

瀏覽次數:34 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Bryan Murdock

未讀,
2015年12月30日 凌晨12:19:462015/12/30
收件者:Freecellera
This is really exciting to see some action here on the mailing list
again. It's nice to know it's not just me with this crazy idea. It's
especially validating to see there already a whole 'nother group with
similar ideas, FOSSi.

Reading Olaf's email and then the FOSSi Manifesto, and seeing the
discussion that my originally proposed mission statement has sparked
has gotten me thinking. I also did more reading on other Free
software endeavors. I think the mission statement for Freecellera
needs to be more concrete (as in, it'll be obvious when the mission
has been fulfilled) and focused. How's this one?

Freecellera works to provide Free Software[1] implementations for all
the software tools needed to design digital integrated circuits (ICs).

To maintain focus and drive, Freecellera will *not* seek to provide:

- digital integrated circuit designs (often referred to as "design IP"
see OpenCores and FOSSi for Free hardware designs that you can
contribute to and use)

- simulation models or testbench components (often referred to as
"verification IP")

Also, Freecellera is not jealous. Where a project already exists to
provide Free Software for digital IC design, Freecellera will not fork
or re-write that tool as a "Freecellera Project." Freecellera will
simply encourage and support that project as best as it can. It could
turn out that Freecellera mostly just supports and promotes existing
projects in order to achieve its mission, and that is just fine.

Freecellera Values[2]:

- Freedom is our goal, and great tools will arise from giving
engineers the Four Freedoms of Free Software[1]

- Anyone can participate, free of charge

- We are not going to play democracy (or any other kind of government,
really). We are not a governce board or standards body, orarbitrator
of certifications.

- Instead of spending time engaged in long discussions, writing large
specifications, or negotiating standards documents, spend time writing
code.

- The great quote from David Clark of the IETF stands: "We reject
kings, presidents and voting. We believe in rough consensus and
running code"[3]

- Spread the word! If you can't spend time writing code at the
moment, take a minute to tell others about this endeavor, both how it
will help them and how they can help out.

Bryan

Footnotes:

1. See: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

2. Adapted from slide 24 of this presentation:
https://www.usenix.org/legacy/events/lisa11/tech/slides/cantrill.pdf,
and from Bryan's own crazy ideas.

3. From: https://www.ietf.org/tao.html

Erik Jessen