Exploring Venues for a category/section

4sqnoob

Nov 11, 2011, 9:36:15 PM11/11/11
to foursquare API
I want to display nearby venues under section food with search string
as cafe. So is below the right URL?

venues/explore?ll=40.7,-74&section=food&radius=800.00&query=cafe

Now if that is the case what are all the possible values parameter
"section" takes?

Is section a broad term for category?

If I did use category I see that passing categoryId in search shows as
experimental in the documentation.

I just want to know if I am in the right track to display venues of a
particular type/section/category.

my categories are broad such as food, arts, nightlife, service etc.

Appreciate a detailed response rather than one liners.

robb1e

Nov 12, 2011, 11:43:31 AM11/12/11
to foursquare API
I don't know anything about 'section', but you can use a categoryId in
the query string to filter by categories. Some categories have parent
categories, i.e. 'Pub' has a parent of 'Nightlife'.

i.e. https://developer.foursquare.com/docs/explore.html#req=venues/search%3Fll%3D40.7,-74%26categoryId%3D4d4b7105d754a06376d81259

Hope that helps

Robbie

4sqnoob

Nov 12, 2011, 12:28:13 PM11/12/11
to foursquare API
We tried using categoryId but we get the below error way too often.

{"meta":{"code":
500,"errorType":"server_error","errorDetail":"Foursquare servers are
experiencing problems. Please retry and check status.foursquare.com
for updates."},"response":{}}

In fact every other refresh we get this error. this is the endpoint
url(https://api.foursquare.com/v2/venues/search?
ll=12.90,77.58&limit=20&v=20111104&intent=browse&radius=3200.00&categoryId=4d4b7105d754a06374d81259&query=burger)
We are obviously changing categoryId based on whether it is Arts,
Nightlife etc

Looks like this is extremely unstable because I don't see us doing
anything wrong.

The other option then is to use /venues/explore and use the section to
identify categories but this section does not match the category in
that i don't see nightlife.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

On Nov 12, 8:43 am, robb1e <robert.clut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know anything about 'section', but you can use a categoryId in
> the query string to filter by categories.  Some categories have parent
> categories, i.e. 'Pub' has a parent of 'Nightlife'.
>
> i.e.https://developer.foursquare.com/docs/explore.html#req=venues/search%...

4sqnoob

Nov 13, 2011, 12:39:42 AM11/13/11
to foursquare API
Ok I do think that this is the culprit

v=20111104

This version is extremely buggy. Keeps giving 500 constantly.

Thanks