Venue Poster / QRcode

Andrew Elwell

Sep 25, 2011, 2:49:07 PM9/25/11
to foursqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I'm about to hack up a set of QRcoded posters labels to put on the doors around site (well, probably on the noticeboard inside door) - basically taking the shortURL from the venue API, and converting that to a QR code
together with a logo and the shortURL printed below

Is there already a webservice that can do this? (if not, why not! -- should be a simple enough PDF to produce)

Rationale: it's quicker for me to open barocode in android barcode scanner, open URL with foursquare and check in directly than wait for GPS lock, server to send venues etc etc.

Akshay Patil

Sep 26, 2011, 6:02:14 PM9/26/11
to foursqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

We have information about URLs to embed in QR codes @ https://developer.foursquare.com/client/index (I recommend using Android intents)

~ak
--
Akshay Patil / Foursquare Platform Evangelist
@akdotcom / @foursquareapi

Andrew Elwell

Sep 26, 2011, 6:15:01 PM9/26/11
to foursqu...@googlegroups.com
> We have information about URLs to embed in QR codes
> @ https://developer.foursquare.com/client/index (I recommend using Android
> intents)

OK - As it was just the venue one I'm interested in (these are going
to be one barcode per venue items) then what's the advantage of using
that over the shortURL?

Akshay Patil

Sep 26, 2011, 6:30:35 PM9/26/11
to foursqu...@googlegroups.com
If the user has the foursquare mobile app installed, the Android intents are guaranteed to cause the app to open up on the relevant page. All other undocumented behavior is specifically unsupported.

~ak
--
Akshay Patil / Foursquare Platform Evangelist
@akdotcom / @foursquareapi

Leon Herbert

Oct 28, 2011, 10:44:10 AM10/28/11
to foursqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi I was wondering if you know whether we can link to web pages with the new ID setup. When I create a QR code using the android intents it connects to the 4square web site but says location not found. The web site I set up was http://m.foursquare.com/guglhupf/4adfdac7f964a520ca7d21e3

If I create a qr code using the actual web page address https://foursquare.com/v/guglhupf/4adfdac7f964a520ca7d21e3 I am able to get to the page. But this does not access the Foursquare app on my Android phone. I am wanting to fire up my Foursquare app (preferably on all platforms) by scanning the QR code. The mobile web site does allow you to get points and get mayorships. I am attempting to set up advertising for venues by having a sticker with a qr code on it that enables people to log in to there foursquare app so they can redeem specials and get points towards mayorships etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Akshay Patil

Oct 28, 2011, 1:53:45 PM10/28/11
to foursqu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leon,

Looks like you're forgetting the /v/ in the mobile url. https://m.foursquare.com/v/guglhupf/4adfdac7f964a520ca7d21e3

~ak
--

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Leon Herbert <leonjaso...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Leon Herbert

Oct 28, 2011, 3:41:46 PM10/28/11
to foursqu...@googlegroups.com
Thank you

Perhaps I have not explained myself, I am trying to connect to the actual android app on the the smartphone. i.e. by scanning the qr code it fires up the android app and you are able to Check In to the venue. This would be different from the normal way of Checking in using the GPS on the phone to find the closest venues. I do not want to be linked to the mobile web site. Is foursquare looking in to having the ability to scan a location qr code within the actual smartphone app.

Regards Leon Herbert

Mohan Arun

Oct 29, 2011, 6:12:03 AM10/29/11
to foursquare API
"i.e. by scanning the qr code it fires up
the android app and you are able to Check In to the venue."

Leon,
reminds me of this thread.
http://groups.google.com/group/foursquare-api/browse_thread/thread/240a6a9dce8837e9

I guess you would Qr-code the url
m.foursquare.com/venue/VENUE_ID and somehow specify the intent is
'checkin'

If someone can post the exact url of how to do intent=checkin on
particular venue
using mobile foursquare url (m.foursquare.com) with venueid as
parameter
i would appreciate it.

Akshay Patil

Oct 31, 2011, 2:37:59 PM10/31/11
to foursqu...@googlegroups.com
m.foursquare.com/venue/VENUE_ID will trigger the foursquare android app, as explained on the resource linked to before:  https://developer.foursquare.com/client/index

~ak
--
Akshay Patil / Foursquare Platform Evangelist
@akdotcom / @foursquareapi

Leon Herbert

Oct 31, 2011, 11:07:20 PM10/31/11
to foursquare API
Akshay
Thank you
I finally worked out what I was doing wrong. I was actually inserting
the venue name in the /venue/ part of the url instead of just leaving
it as venue. It works like a charm now.

On Oct 31, 2:37 pm, Akshay Patil <a...@foursquare.com> wrote:
> m.foursquare.com/venue/VENUE_ID will trigger the foursquare android app, as
> explained on the resource linked to before:https://developer.foursquare.com/client/index
>
> ~ak
> --
> Akshay Patil / Foursquare Platform Evangelist
> @akdotcom / @foursquareapi
>

> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 6:12 AM, Mohan Arun <mar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "i.e. by scanning the qr code it fires up
> > the android app and you are able to Check In to the venue."
>
> > Leon,
> > reminds me of this thread.
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/foursquare-api/browse_thread/thread/24...

Steve Lunny

Nov 1, 2011, 7:46:59 AM11/1/11
to foursqu...@googlegroups.com
How do I unsubscribe from the group? Having trouble doing so, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

Akshay Patil

Nov 1, 2011, 10:21:56 AM11/1/11
to foursqu...@googlegroups.com