flyspray: brother-projects

Slava Fomin

Jun 6, 2012, 2:42:14 PM6/6/12
to flyspray
Hi, it's me again.

We are just started to use Flyspray (FS) to control all of our projects
and encountered some complications (probably you will see a lot of
messages from me here future on).

The most troublesome one is this:

We need to split each of our projects in two. One project (we call it
frontend) is designated to our final customers. So the managers can see
our progress and create new tasks for us. The other project (we call it
backend) is used for our internal development work and discussions. The
idea is that our end clients don't need to see all of our internal tasks
and comments (our kitchen).

So, when our client creates new task in frontend-project, we have to
create another task in our backend-project to start actually working
with it. We also have to link backend-task to frontend-one to keep
tracks. All this operations took a lot of precious time.

Do you have ideas how we can achieve this in other (better) way? Maybe
organize things differently or use some other features of FS?

Or maybe FS developers are planing some related features in future
version of this great product?

I really hope you will take notice of our use-case scenario at least.

Thanks!

Slava Fomin II
Better Solutions
Moscow, Russia

Scott H

Jun 6, 2012, 3:41:24 PM6/6/12
to flys...@googlegroups.com
Just my thoughts on this, im sure others will respond. I dont know the permissions off the top of my head which might be something to try first but what I would look into is customizing it just a little on the php side. Where maybe an administrator can go to the task and click a button that then pushes it (copies the row in sql and puts it into the 'kitchen' project). Then when you do updates just back those files up, update, and merge the difference. Or even when a new task gets created it pushes it also to the 'kitchen' project. Your situation is somewhat unique and why a good ACL system would really benefit your setup.

Prus Robert

Jun 6, 2012, 6:59:50 PM6/6/12
to flys...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it requires a single trick in database and some modifications on code. Look at FS db structure, To copy task into private project, you have to change the project_id field from non-kitchen to kitchen and (optional) make realation between them. Remember that first field is auto_increment so you have to put NULL there.

INSERT INTO flyspray_tasks SELECT NULL, <ID of kitchen project here>, task_type, date_opened, opened_by, is_closed, date_closed, <all of table fields here...> WHERE task_id=<id of previously opened task>

should do the trick, but I'm not an expert though.

Scott H

Jun 7, 2012, 7:33:38 PM6/7/12
to flys...@googlegroups.com
thats not a bad idea, make a script that checks both task ids to see if they exist and if not push it over to the kitchen project.