What's happening this week?

Rev. Amy Freedman

Jan 27, 2017, 11:45:36 AM1/27/17
to First Parish Religious Education

Announcements for Children, Youth and Families:

  • First Parish Parent Circles
  • What’s happening this week?
  • Cradles to Crayons Clothing Drive
  • Buddy Dog

First Parish Parent Circles

Parent Circles are an opportunity for parents to connect with one another in a meaningful way and reflect on parenting from a Unitarian Universalist perspective.

“Talking with Children about Death,” this Sunday, January 29, 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Dawn Van Patten and Jean Chandler.

Dawn Van Patten is the Assistant Director of Religious Education.  Before working at First Parish, she taught preschool and helped to start the Oxbow Schoolhouse in Devens, Massachusetts.  Jean Chandler holds an BS in Child & Family Studies, a Master's in Elementary Education, and a Master's in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, specializing in Children's Bereavement. She has worked as Associate Program Director at The Children's Room, Center for Grieving Children and Teens Inc, Associate Project Director and Editor in various Publishing Companies, a K-8 Elementary Teacher, and is a published Author and Illustrator.

“Sandwich Generation: Caring for Aging Parents and Children,” Sunday, February 5, 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Revs. Amy Freedman and Marion Visel

Parent Circles will be held in the Wright Tavern. Childcare is available in the Emerson Room 11:15 a.m.-1:15 p.m.

Please register by emailing Amy: afre...@firstparish.org Drop-ins are welcome!

What’s happening this week?

Sunday, January 29, 2017

9:50 a.m. – Little RE (0-4yrs) – Lower Level

10:00 a.m. – Neighboring Faiths (Grade 7) – Brooks Room

10:00 a.m. – Worship Service

Children in Kindergarten through Grade 6 begin in the Sanctuary with their families.   Following our Children’s Message, the children leave the Sanctuary for their classroom with their teachers. All RE classes are held until 11:15am.  Parents of children 0-Grade 3 are asked to pick up their children in their classrooms listed below.  Older children and youth will be dismissed to Coffee Hour.

10:15-11:15 a.m.- Religious Education Classes

         Kindergarten & Grade 1– Lower Level

         Grades 2­– Greeley Room

         Grade 3– Ripley Room

         Grade 4– Emerson Room

         Grade 5– Bulkeley Room

         Grades 6– Chapel

11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Parent Circle – Wright Tavern

4:00-6:00 p.m., 8th Grade OWL– Emerson Room

Next Week, February 5, 2017- Religious Education Classes

Little RE – Lower Level

Teachers: Becky Regan and Kristen Avini

Teaching Assistants on a rotating schedule:  Talia Aley, Evie Hamor, Olivia Holmes, Rosie Jimenez, Claire Parish-Cowan, Talia Smith, Laura (Nuffi) Wallis,

Our youngest children (0-4 years) will play in a caring environment with time for making friends, reading stories, playing outdoors, eating snack, and craft projects. Parents are invited to bring their children to the classroom fifteen minutes before worship service begins (9:45am).

Spirit Play- Kindergarten – Lower Level

Teachers: Amy Happ and Jean Chandler

Children will hear the Hindu story of how Ganesh got his name.  Ganesh, the elephant-headed god, is known as the remover of obstacles.

Spirit Play- Grade 1 – Lower Level

Teachers: Todd Benjamin and Robin Ahigian

The week’s lesson is based on the children’s book, The Empty Pot by Demi.  The story explores the fourth principle of Unitarian Universalism, the free and responsible search for truth and meaning.

Grade 2 – Greeley Room
Teachers: Jill O’Sullivan and Anne Fortier
Grade 3 – Ripley Room
Teachers: Andrew Bernard, Trena Minudri and Sophie Kramer
Our focus this Sunday is Hinduism. We will learn about some of the many Hindu gods and goddesses.  We will also practice some Yoga poses together.

Grade 4 – Emerson Room
Teachers: Kristen Kenney and Joshua Israel

Guests: Bill and Sherry Seaver

This Sunday we will learn about Tom Diepto who was a refugee from Vietnam and had a special relationship to First Parish.  Tom is also a talented artist who gave us a painting that still hangs in our church. Bill will share the story. Sherry will then show us the art of brush painting.

Grade 5 – Bulkeley Room
Teachers: Leah Russell and Kristen Parlman

Guest: Vivek Samnotra
Uma’s father will be our guest this morning to share about his experiences growing up in a Hindu family.
The Hindu religion has over 300 million gods, yet at the same time, the Hindu religion has only one God. How can that be? Millions of gods and goddesses, but just one God? We will explore this idea. We will also practice some Yoga poses together!

Neighboring Activists (Grade 6) – Chapel
Teachers: John Boynton and Mariko Chang

Our Neighboring Activists (6th graders) invite our First Parish community to help them in supporting Buddy Dog in Sudbury to make the lives of the rescue animals they care for better! You can help by donating new dog toys, cat toys, and dog collars.  A collection box is in the First Parish coat closet and local pet stores. Financial contributions are also welcome to help buy collars that are given to each adopted dog. You can find out more from our Neighboring Activists on the stage in Coffee Hour today.

Neighboring Faiths (Grade 7) – Brooks Room

Teachers: Jan Power, Dana Lissy and Melanie Lyons

This Sunday we will meet in the Brooks Room at 10:00am to reflect on our recent visit to Holy Family Parish in Concord (Roman Catholicism).  We will also begin to prepare for our upcoming visits to Grace Chapel in Lexington (Evangelical Protestantism) and Kerem Shalom in Concord (Judaism).

Cradles to Crayons Clothing Drive

Sunday, January 29
Bring your gently used children's clothing (especially coats and boots) to coffee hour this Sunday! The Alcott/Nashoba 1st grade Daisy Girl Scout troop will be staffing a table at coffee to collect these items. They deliver them to
Cradles to Crayons, a Boston-based non-profit who provides children from birth through age 12, living in homeless or low-income situations, with the essential items they need to thrive. They supply these items free of charge by engaging and connecting communities that have with communities that need. Questions? Contact Heather: packard...@gmail.com

Buddy Dog

Our Neighboring Activists (6th graders) invite our First Parish community to help them in supporting Buddy Dog in Sudbury to make the lives of the rescue animals they care for better! You can help by donating new dog toys, cat toys, and dog collars.  A collection box is in the First Parish coat closet and local pet stores. Financial contributions are also welcome to help buy collars that are given to each adopted dog. You can find out more from our Neighboring Activists on the stage in Coffee Hour on Sunday.

This conversation is locked