Special Events for All Ages!

Rev. Amy Freedman

Apr 28, 2017, 1:14:57 PM4/28/17
to First Parish Religious Education

Announcements for Children, Youth and Families:

·      RE Family Survey

·      Family Day at Fruitlands Tomorrow

·      Thoreau Trivia Night & Dinner- 5/6

·      May Day at the Manse- 5/7

·      Parenting Children with Special Needs Discussion Circle- 5/7

·      What is happening this Sunday?

·      Transylvania Pilgrimage Informational Meeting- 4/30

RE Family Survey

We are blessed to have an active and committed Religious Education community at First Parish in Concord.  Every week, First Parish is filled with children and families having fun, creating new connections, enjoying long-time friends and embracing our community and our liberal religious tradition.  We want to know more about how you experience First Parish.  Please take 5 minutes to complete the anonymous survey: HERE  If you have any questions, please call, text or email RE Council Chair, Leslie Pelton Nichol at 781-929-1147 or lpe...@ljpconsult.com  Thank you!

Family Day at Fruitlands Tomorrow
Join Howard, Amy and Dawn on Saturday for a fun day at Fruitlands located at 102 Prospect Hill Road, Harvard, MA. This outing will be fun for all ages! Discover the Alcott’s 19th century utopian experiment, enjoy the beautiful grounds and explore the other small museums on site. $10 entrance fee. Bring a picnic lunch. Learn more:
www.fruitlands.org No sign-up needed. We will carpool from First Parish in Concord at 9:30 am. Our outing will end by 2:00 pm for our return to Concord. If you wish to meet us at there, you’re also welcome to do so! Questions? Contact Amy: afre...@firstparish.org

Thoreau Trivia Night & Buffet Dinner

Saturday, May 6, 5:15 p.m., Parish Hall

This is a family-friendly event and fun for all ages! Informal trivia on topics related to Thoreau’s life. You don’t need to be a history expert! Hosted by historian Richard Smith, as Henry David Thoreau. Buffet by Comella’s; dessert by Boo’s Creations. Bring your own beverage. Water/cider provided. Register by May 1. Cash or check at the door: $20 per adult; $10 for age 20 and under; maximum $50 per family. For reservations, contact Shelle...@msn.com or First Parish Office at 978-369-9602. Sponsored by the Transcendentalism Council.

May Day at the Manse- 5/7

As a part of our Spring theme “Explorations with Thoreau”, there will be a field trip during regular RE time on Sunday, May 7 [Rain date: May 21].   Following the Children’s Message, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th graders will walk together to the Old Manse, a 15-minute walk. (Little OWL will be held after the Children’s Message). We will hear stories about Henry David Thoreau and his friends at this special place.  Then we will explore and play games. A snack of apples, Tostitos and water will be provided. A Permission Form with more information is attached.  Please return forms to Amy at church or by mail, email or scan: afre...@firstparish.org

First Parish Parent Discussion Circle

“Parenting Children with Special Needs in our First Parish Community”

Sunday, May 7, 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Wright Tavern

Parent Circles are an opportunity for parents to connect and share with one another in a meaningful way and reflect on parenting from a Unitarian Universalist perspective.  This one is intended for parents of children with special needs -- physical, emotional and learning.  Our Minister of Religious Education, Amy Freedman, will join us for spiritual guidance and support. Childcare available upon request. This program is free but registration is appreciated: afre...@firstparish.org or Leslie Pelton Nichol: lpe...@ljpconsult.com

What’s happening this Sunday, April 30?

Please read below to discover what your child(ren) are exploring at First Parish.

First Parish is participating in a UU White Supremacy Teach-in this Sunday. Learn more: http://www.blacklivesuu.com/uuwhitesupremacyteachin/

Children will NOT be starting in the service with their families.  Instead, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th graders will start at 10am in the Emerson Room for an Opening Circle led by Jan Hustlar, our Ministerial Intern and Anderson Manuel, our Gospel Choir Director. Anderson will share his race story as someone who grew up in Haiti and moved to the US—he’s a 3rd grade teacher so he will be able to do this in a way that is age-appropriate. The group will also sing together. Little RE, Little OWL, Middle OWL, and Neighboring Faiths will begin at 10am in their classrooms listed below.  Neighboring Activists and youth are encouraged to attend the service.

Little RE – Lower Level

Teachers: Heather Packard and Danielle McKenna

Teaching Assistants on a rotating schedule:  Talia Aley, Evie Hamor, Olivia Holmes, Rosie Jimenez, Claire Parish-Cowan, Talia Smith, Laura (Nuffi) Wallis,

Our youngest children (0-4 years) will play in a caring environment with time for making friends, reading stories, playing outdoors, eating snack, and craft projects. Parents are invited to bring their children to the classroom fifteen minutes before worship service begins (9:45am).

Spirit Play- Kindergarten/1st Grade– Lower Level

Teachers: Mel Jiganti and Ethan Baxter

This week’s lesson is “The One Great Web of Life”.  The story explores the interconnectedness and oneness of all things.

Little OWL- Grade 1 – Lower Level

Teachers: Renee Lloyd and Anne Remington

“Feelings and Communication” is the topic of this week’s class.  The class will think about emotions and healthy ways to express them.

Explorations with Thoreau

Please dress for the weather! We may go outside.
2nd Grade: Greeley Room
Teachers: Amy Rensko and Debbie Porthouse
3rd Grade: Ripley Room
Teachers: Carolyn Kessel Stewart and Brandon Wilkerson
4th & 5th Grade: Emerson Room
Teachers: Lisa Bennett and Stephanie Liu

Our Spring theme is “Explorations with Thoreau” for Kindergarten, 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders. Any 5th graders who are not enrolled in Middle OWL will be with the 4th Grade class. 2017 marks the 200th anniversary of Henry David Thoreau’s birth. Inspired by our spiritual ancestor, we will spend time outdoors, journaling, walking, connecting with nature and reflecting on our place in it.

Middle OWL– Wright Tavern, 10:00-11:15 a.m.
Teachers: Jeff Brainerd and Lora Venesy
Our theme this Sunday is Lovemaking and Reproduction. Our session will include a discussion about lovemaking, reproduction, and how families change when new siblings arrive.

Neighboring Activists: 6th Grade – Sanctuary, 10:00-11:15 a.m.
Teachers: Jan Goddard-Taylor and Ayres Stiles-Hall
This Sunday is a historic day for our religious movement!  Over 400 congregations nationwide and around the world are joining in a “UU White Supremacy Teach-in” including First Parish.  Younger children will have their own program but Neighboring Activists are encouraged to attend the 10am service.  There will be pews reserved for the group to sit together.  This will be an opportunity to reflect on our values and re-commit to racial justice.

Neighboring Faiths: 7th Grade – Chapel, 10:00-11:15 a.m
Teachers: Jan Power, Stuart Johnstone and Jen Izzo

This Sunday we welcome Esther Friedman, who will speak about her own experience getting inadvertently involved in a non-religious cult in the Boston area some years ago.

We like to open up this speaker event to NF parents who might be interested in attending. You are welcome to show up on Sunday or let Jan know so we can set up chairs: jpo...@gmail.com or 978-764-8569.  Thanks!

8th Grade OWL – Emerson Room, 4:00-7:00 p.m.
Facilitators: Andrea Hubbard-Nelson, Eric Read, Louisa Paushter and Tim Peacock

We will have our final session of 8th Grade OWL this Sunday 4:00-5:30pm.  At 5:30pm our families will join us for a Celebration and Potluck Dinner. Questions? Andrea Hubbard-Nelson: andr...@mindspring.com

Transylvania Pilgrimage Informational Meeting
Sunday, April 30, 11:30 am, Emerson Room

The Partner Congregation Committee and Amy Freedman are excited to announce that plans for a multi-generational pilgrimage to our partner congregation in Szekelykeresztur are moving forward. We are exploring either April school vacation or the summer of 2018 as possible travel dates and will have specific information about dates, costs, activities and itinerary at the meeting. This is open to all, adults and families alike. Please plan to join us if you want to hear more about it. If you are interested or have questions but are unable to attend please contact Lillian Anderson (
lilli...@comcast.net) or Amy Freedman (afre...@Firstparish.org)

May Day at the Manse .pdf
This conversation is locked