Announcements for Children, Youth and Families

Rev. Amy Freedman

Feb 2, 2017, 3:19:42 PM2/2/17
to First Parish Religious Education

 Announcements for Children, Youth and Families:

  • First Parish Parent Circle: Sandwich Generation
  • Little OWL Parent Orientation
  • What’s happening this week?
  • Buddy Dog

First Parish Parent Circle
“Sandwich Generation: Caring for Aging Parents and Children”
Sunday, February 5, 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Wright Tavern
Caring for your aging parents and your own children can be a difficult balancing act! Join Marion, our Minister of Pastoral Care, and Amy, our Minister of Religious Education, for resources and spiritual tools for caregiving. Parent Circles are an opportunity for parents to connect with one another in a meaningful way and reflect on parenting from a Unitarian Universalist perspective. Childcare available. This program is free but registration is appreciated:
afre...@firstparish.org

Little OWL for 1st Graders

First Parish will offer Little OWL (Our Whole Lives) for 1st graders starting on Sunday, March 19 and will be held during the regular RE class time: 10:15-11:15am. For your child to participate in Little OWL, one parent/guardian is required to attend the Parent Orientation on Saturday, February 4, 9:00-11:00amChildcare is available. If you do not wish for your child to participate in Little OWL, they will be included in another RE class during the 8-week program. If you have any questions, contact Amy, afre...@firstparish.org

What’s happening this week?

Please read below to find out about what your child(ren) are exploring this week...

Sunday, February 5, 2017

9:50 a.m. – Little RE (0-4yrs) – Lower Level

10:00 a.m. – Neighboring Faiths (Grade 7) – Visit Grace Chapel in Lexington, Return~1:00 p.m.

10:00 a.m. – Worship Service

Children in Kindergarten through Grade 6 begin in the Sanctuary with their families.   Following our Children’s Message, the children leave the Sanctuary for their classroom with their teachers. All RE classes are held until 11:15am.  Parents of children 0-Grade 3 are asked to pick up their children in their classrooms listed below.  Older children and youth will be dismissed to Coffee Hour.

10:15-11:15 a.m.- Religious Education Classes

         Kindergarten & Grade 1– Lower Level

         Grades 2­– Greeley Room

         Grade 3– Ripley Room

         Grade 4– Emerson Room

         Grade 5– Bulkeley Room

         Neighboring Activists (Grade 6)– Chapel, 10:30 a.m. Visit Buddy Dog in Sudbury and Sorrento’s Pizzeria, Return~1:00 p.m.

11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Parent Circle – Wright Tavern

3:00-5:00 p.m., 8th Grade OWL – Emerson Room

3:00-5:00 p.m., Coming of Age (9th Grade) – Brooks Room & Chapel

Next Week, February 12, 2017- Religious Education Classes

Little RE – Lower Level

Teachers: Becky Regan and Heather Packard

Teaching Assistants on a rotating schedule:  Talia Aley, Evie Hamor, Olivia Holmes, Rosie Jimenez, Claire Parish-Cowan, Talia Smith, Laura (Nuffi) Wallis,

Our youngest children (0-4 years) will play in a caring environment with time for making friends, reading stories, playing outdoors, eating snack, and craft projects. Parents are invited to bring their children to the classroom fifteen minutes before worship service begins (9:45am).

Spirit Play- Kindergarten – Lower Level

Teachers: Ken Reeves and Julia Samnotra

The week’s lesson is based on the children’s book, The Empty Pot by Demi.  The story explores the fourth principle of Unitarian Universalism, the free and responsible search for truth and meaning.

Spirit Play- Grade 1 – Lower Level

Teachers: Todd Benjamin and Robin Ahigian

Children will hear the Hindu story of how Ganesh got his name.  Ganesh, the elephant-headed god, is known as the remover of obstacles.

Grade 2 – Greeley Room
Teachers: Jill O’Sullivan and Suzanne Foley
Grade 3 – Ripley Room
Teachers: Trena Minudri, Leslie Pelton Nichol, and Sophie Kramer
Shinto is the oldest religion of Japan.  Shinto believes that rocks, trees, waterfalls and mountains are inhabited by “kami”, special spirits or deities.  Have you ever felt that a tree or a rock or another place in nature was special? Our story will be about Amaterasu, the Sun Goddess.

Grade 4 – Emerson Room
Teachers: Kristen Kenney and Joshua Israel

Guests: Bozena and Irl Smith

This Sunday, we will learn about earth-centered or pagan traditions.  At this time of year we are halfway between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox. Bozena who is part of the First Parish Women’s Circle will lead us in a ritual honoring the changing seasons.

Grade 5 – Bulkeley Room
Teachers: Leah Russell and Kristen Parlman

This Spring our RE program will be learning about Henry David Thoreau to honor his bicentennial.  This Sunday we will be making a “Spirit Play” kit for the younger kids based on the picture book “Henry Hikes to Fitchburg” by D. B. Johnson. We will also reflect on Thoreau’s message of simple living.

Neighboring Activists (Grade 6) – Chapel
Teachers: John Boynton and Mariko Chang

Buddy Dog Visit - this Sunday

10:00  Meet in the Chapel to sort out the donations

10:30  Drive to Sudbury

11:00  Arrive at Buddy Dog - spend 45-60 minutes touring and playing with animals

12:00  Head to Sorrento's for pizza

1:00 Return to First Parish for pickup

I believe we have permission slips for everyone.  Mariko and I have enough space in our cars so we will not require extra drivers.  Ayres Stiles-Hall is standing in reserve should we get a surge of newcomers! Questions? John Boynton: j...@firehousecapital.com

Neighboring Faiths (Grade 7) – Visit Grace Chapel

Teachers: Jan Power, Dana Lissy and Melanie Lyons

This Sunday we will be visiting Grace Chapel, an evangelical protestant church in Lexington.  We will meet in the parlor at 10:00 a.m. and leave at 10:10a.m..  We expect to return to First Parish by 1:00p.m.  Questions? Contact Jan Power: jpo...@gmail.com

or 978-764-8569.

8th Grade OWL Emerson Room, 3:00-5:00pm

Facilitators: Andrea Hubbard-Nelson, Eric Read, Louisa Paushter and

Tim Peacock

Session 4: Gender Roles, Gender Identity, Sexual Orientation

Questions? Andrea Hubbard-Nelson: andr...@mindspring.com

Coming of Age (Grade 9) – Brooks Room & Chapel, 3:00-5:00pm

Mentors: Del Friedman, Gib Metcalf and Kathy Tyrer

Just a reminder that COA will be from 3-5pm this Sunday. We will be drafting and revising our credos, so....BRING YOUR JOURNALS, and any rough draft(s) that you have written out or typed. See you all Sunday!

Christa, Youth Programs Director: ccha...@firstparish.org

Buddy Dog

Our Neighboring Activists (6th graders) invite our First Parish community to help them in supporting Buddy Dog in Sudbury to make the lives of the rescue animals they care for better! You can help by donating new dog and cat toys.  A collection box is in the First Parish coat closet and local pet stores. They will deliver your contributions to Buddy Dog on Sunday morning.

This conversation is locked