SPRING session begins this Sunday!

1 view

Rev. Amy Freedman

Mar 17, 2017, 11:19:15 AM3/17/17
to First Parish Religious Education
Announcements for Children, Youth and Families:
Please read below to discover what your child(ren) are exploring this Sunday!
  • Summertime Fun at First Parish!
  • Looking for friendly RE Greeters to help on Sunday morning
  • What’s happening this Sunday, March 19?
  • “Grub’s Place”—Tickets on Sale Now
  • Family Day at Fruitlands
  • NEW Caregiver Support Group
  • Thoreau Bicentennial Gala Celebration for all ages
  • Syrian Refugee Family Housing Fund

Summertime Fun at First Parish!
We will continue to have programs for children this Summer! Do you have a fun idea or a special talent to share one Sunday morning? Ideas include: outdoor games, art activities, nature exploration, big bubble-making… If so, please contact Amy afre...@firstparish.org or Dawn: dvanp...@firstparish.org Thanks!

Looking for friendly RE Greeters to help on Sunday morning
Hello First Parish Community! Would you like to greet families as they walk into church? We are looking for adults, youth or families who would like to volunteer for one (or more) 25-minute slot on Sunday morning from 9:45-10:10 am. The RE Greeter stands in the front foyer of the church to welcome families and help newcomers find their child's classroom and explain that children are dismissed after the Children's Message. Questions? Contact RE Council members Jean Chandler: jeanj...@aol.com or Caroline Minkin: carolin...@gmail.com. Please sign up online: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C0F4EA9AB22A3FF2-15minute Thanks!

What’s happening this Sunday, March 19?
Please read below to discover what your child(ren) are exploring this Sunday!

This Week, Sunday, March 19: Religious Education classes

9:50 a.m. – Little RE (0-4yrs) – Lower Level
10:00 a.m. – Middle OWL (5th Grade) – Wright Tavern
10:00 a.m. – Worship Service
Children in Kindergarten through Grade 6 begin in the Sanctuary with their families. 5th Grade starts in Wright Tavern next door to First Parish. Following our Children’s Message, the children leave the Sanctuary for their classroom with their teachers. All RE classes are held until 11:15am. Parents of children 0-Grade 3 are asked to pick up their children in their classrooms listed below. Older children and youth will be dismissed to Coffee Hour.

10:15-11:15 a.m. – Religious Education Classes
Kindergarten & Grade 1– Lower Level
Little OWL– Lower Level
Grades 2­– Greeley Room
Grade 3– Ripley Room
Grade 4– Emerson Room
Neighboring Activists (Grade 6)– Chapel
11:45 a.m. – Neighboring Faiths – Meet in the Parlor to visit Islamic Center of Boston in Wayland. Return to First Parish ~2:15 p.m.

Little RE (0-4yrs) – Lower Level, 9:50 a.m.
Teachers: Rachael Morris and Dawn Van Patten
Teaching Assistants on a rotating schedule: Talia Aley, Evie Hamor, Olivia Holmes, Rosie Jimenez, Claire Parish-Cowan, Talia Smith, Laura (Nuffi) Wallis.Our youngest children (0-4 years) will play in a caring environment with time for making friends, reading stories, playing outdoors, eating snack, and craft projects. Parents are invited to bring their children to the classroom fifteen minutes before worship service begins (9:45am).

Spirit Play: Kindergarten/ Grade 1 – Lower Level
Teachers: Mel Jiganti and Ethan Baxter
The group will begin Explorations with Thoreau by hearing the story “Henry Hikes to Fitchburg” by D.B. Johnson. The story is inspired by a passage from Henry David Thoreau’s book, “Walden”.

Little OWL: Grade 1 – Lower Level
Teachers: Renee Lloyd and Anne Remington
“Our Wonderful Bodies” is the first session of Little OWL.

Explorations with Thoreau
2nd Grade: Greeley Room
Teachers: Amy Rensko and Leanna Walker
3rd Grade: Ripley Room
Teachers: Carolyn Kessel Stewart and Brandon Wilkerson
4th Grade: Emerson Room
Teachers: Lisa Bennett and Stephanie Liu
Our Spring theme is “Explorations with Thoreau” for Kindergarten, 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders. Any 5th graders who are not enrolled in Middle OWL will be with the 4th Grade class. 2017 marks the 200th anniversary of Henry David Thoreau’s birth. Inspired by our spiritual ancestor, we will spend time outdoors, journaling, walking, connecting with nature and reflecting on our place in it.

Middle OWL: 5th Grade – Wright Tavern
Teachers: Jeff Brainerd and Lora Venesy
*Please note: Middle OWL meets at 10:00am in the Wright Tavern (the red building on the corner, off the parking lot). Please drop your child off there before going in to church and pick them up at the Wright Tavern at 11:15. If you have not done so already, please bring the permission slip for your child then or before this Sunday (3/19). We are very excited about this new program & teaching this group!

Neighboring Activists: 6th Grade – Chapel
Teachers: Jan Goddard-Taylor and Kristin Stiles-Hall
One thing we will be doing this Spring is creating PRO-test art. This Sunday artist and art educator, Catherine Karp will joining us to talk about art making options!

Neighboring Faiths: 7th Grade- Visiting Islamic Center
Teachers: Jan Power, Stuart Johnstone and Jen Izzo
Many thanks to Dana Lissy and Melanie Brown-Lyons for teaching this winter and welcome to Stuart and Jen! This Sunday, we will meet in the First Parish Parlor at 11:45 a.m. to go to the Islamic Center of Boston in Wayland together. Please wear clothes that cover your arms and legs and as always, do not wear jeans, scruffy sweatshirts and such. We will return to First Parish around 2:15 p.m. Questions? Jan Power: jpo...@gmail.com

8th Grade OWL: Next session on Sunday, March 26

“Grub’s Place”—Tickets on Sale Now
March 31, April 1, 7, and 8, at 7:30 p.m. on the Parish Hall stage
“Grub’s Place” is an original musical for all ages set in an ant colony that explores community life and is enlivened by a praying mantis, irreverent fireflies and a past-her-prime reclusive spider. Turf battles, jealous hearts and prejudice threaten the colony’s survival. “Grub’s Place” is created and performed by First Parish members, written and composed by Jane Blumberg, directed by Francene Amari and produced by Claudia Nimar. The show is entertaining for the whole family! Tickets ($20.00 adults, $10 students) are available online: www.mktix.com/fpuuc or can be purchased at Coffee Hour and through the Church Office: 978-369-9602.

Family Day at Fruitlands
Saturday, April 1—SAVE THE DATE!
Join Howard, Amy and Dawn for a fun day at Fruitlands located at 102 Prospect Hill Road in Harvard, MA. This outing will be fun for all ages! Discover the Alcott’s 19th century utopian experiment, enjoy the beautiful grounds and explore the other small museums on site. $10 entrance fee. Pack a picnic lunch. Learn more: www.fruitlands.org No sign-up needed. We will carpool from First Parish in Concord at 9:30 am. Our outing will end by 2:00 pm for our return to Concord. If you wish to meet us at there, you’re also welcome to do so! Questions? Contact Amy: afre...@firstparish.org

NEW Caregiver Support Group

Monday, April 3, 1:00 - 2:30pm, Brooks Room
Providing care for a family member in need is an age-old act of love and loyalty. You may care for an aging parent (while also caring for your own children), disabled spouse, or a young or adult child with a physical, mental or addiction issues. Whether you provide direct care or oversee care at a distance, with support you can be a good caregiver without sacrificing yourself in the process. The group will determine its future meeting schedule. Facilitated by Marion Visel, Minister for Pastoral Care, and Diane Clapp, Pastoral Care Lay Minister. If you are unable to attend this meeting but are interested contact Marion Visel: mvi...@firstparish.org or 203/931-5239 cell.

Thoreau Bicentennial Gala Celebration for all ages
Saturday, May 6, 4:00-7:30pm—SAVE THE DATE!

4:00 p.m. Lecture by historian Jayne Gordon:“Walking, Working, Waking: What was Thoreau Seeking?” in the Sanctuary. Free and open to the public. Childcare available upon request.
5:00 p.m. Family Trivia Night and Buffet Dinner
Hosted by historical interpreter Richard Smith, as Henry David Thoreau. Family Trivia Night on topics related to Thoreau’s life and work in the Parish Hall. Intergenerational teams of 4 will compete for Thoreau-related prizes before dinner. Buffet Dinner by Comella’s Restaurant. Dessert by Boo’s Creations. (Open to all ages and primarily for members and friends of First Parish. Interested parties are welcome to register and attend as space allows.)
*Advance registration (by May 1) and admission required for Trivia and Dinner. Cash or check payment at the door at Parish Hall after lecture. $20 per adult; $10 for age 20 and under; $50 per family. Bring your own beverage. Water/cider provided.

Syrian Refugee Family Housing Fund
The Alloh family of 7, now housed with Donna Vaillancourt and Sean Kavanagh, escaped Syria to refugee camps in Jordan 5 years ago, then last August to the US. We are raising $50,000 towards permanent housing in a local community. Feel free to spread the word. 100% of donated funds will go directly to this home project. Donate here: https://www.plumfund.com/charity-fundraising/dignifiedhousing4Allohfamily

This conversation is locked