Special Events

Rev. Amy Freedman

Apr 7, 2017, 1:41:28 PM4/7/17
to First Parish Religious Education
Announcements for Children, Youth and Families:
  • Protest Art Pop-up Gallery
  • Celebrating Easter
  • First Parish Passover Seder
  • Multi-age Workshop: 4/23
  • What’s happening this Sunday, April 9?
  • Family Day at Fruitlands- 4/29
  • Transylvania Pilgrimage Informational Meeting- 4/30
  • Ferry Beach Retreat
  • May Day at the Manse- 5/7
  • Help Wanted- Little RE
Protest Art Pop-up Gallery
Sunday, April 9, 11:00a.m.

Following Sunday’s service, there will be a Pop-up Gallery in the First Parish Parlor featuring Protest Art by our Neighboring Activists. With guidance from arts educator Catherine Karp, Jan Goddard-Taylor, Kristin and Ayres Stiles-Hall, our 6th graders created art to express their concerns and promote positive change. Be sure to check out this special exhibit on Sunday!

Celebrating Easter
Sunday, April 16, 2017

On Easter Sunday, we will hold two services: 9:00am and 11:00am. Rev. Howard Dana will preach. Featuring music by the First Parish Choir and Festival Brass. Celebrate the story of Jesus’ resurrection. Rejoice with his friends that love is stronger than death. Feel the places in your life where you can come alive again. There will be an Easter Egg Hunt at 10am on the church grounds between the two services.

First Parish Passover Seder
Saturday, April 22, Parish Hall, 5:00pm
The Passover Seder is an ancient celebration of freedom. Rev. Amy Freedman, our Minister of Religious Education is leading our service. The Parish Hall becomes our family dining room. This Cooperative Seder is a fun and meaningful ritual for all ages to eat, tell the Passover story and reflect on our lives together! Whether you have a Jewish background or never attended a Seder before, you and your family are welcome. Get tickets and sign up to help at Coffee Hours on Sundays April 9 or 16. Suggested donation for dinner: $20 for adults, free over 80 or under 7, and $10 between 7 and 12. *Questions? Email Del Friedman: gstodel...@gmail.com or call Dana Snyder-Grant: cell phone # 978-760-1129.

Multi-age Workshop: April 23
Leader: Dawn Van Patten
As the date for the Climate March in DC approaches, we will learn more about climate change and meet local activists. We will also work on ways to support the members of our First Parish community who are participating in the march.

What’s happening this Sunday, April 9?
Please read below to discover what your child(ren) are exploring at First Parish.

Little RE – Lower Level
Teachers: Meghan Regan-Loomis and Danielle McKenna
Teaching Assistants on a rotating schedule: Talia Aley, Evie Hamor, Olivia Holmes, Rosie Jimenez, Claire Parish-Cowan, Talia Smith, Laura (Nuffi) Wallis.
Our youngest children (0-4 years) will play in a caring environment with time for making friends, reading stories, playing outdoors, eating snack, and craft projects. Parents are invited to bring their children to the classroom fifteen minutes before worship service begins (9:45am).

Little OWL- Grade 1 – Lower Level

Teachers: Renee Lloyd and Anne Remington
“Relationships” is the topic of this week’s class. The group will discuss what it means to be a good friend and the characteristics of healthy relationships.

Eggs & Bunnies this Sunday!
Upper Level
Teachers: Kimberly Brainerd, Amy Freedman, Dawn Van Patten, Ethan Baxter, Mel Jiganti, Amy Rensko, Leanna Walker, Carolyn Stewart, Brandon Wilkerson, Lisa Bennett and Stephanie Liu
During our regular RE time, Kindergarten, Grades 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 (who are not in OWL) will have a special program. Families are asked to bring one dozen hard-boiled eggs (if you can)! Everyone will be able to take four eggs home. We will decorate eggs for our First Parish Egg Hunt on Easter Sunday, April 16 at 10am. We will have a rainbow of colors and other supplies ready for you to join in the fun! Also, Kimberly Brainerd is bringing in her bunnies Milo and Dilly to join our festivities.

Middle OWL: 5th Grade – Wright Tavern, 10-11:15 a.m.
Teachers: Jeff Brainerd and Lora Venesy
This Sunday: Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation. The main focus of the activities will be to gain an appreciation for the beautiful complexity of human beings and encourage the shift from a mental model of binary distinctions to a continuum. Also, we will discuss societal pressures and expectations, and try to gain an understanding of those struggling with their own gender identity and/or sexual orientation.

Neighboring Activists: 6th Grade – Parish Hall & Parlor, 10-11:15 a.m.
Teachers: Jan Goddard-Taylor, Ayres Stiles-Hall and special guest, Catherine Karp
This Sunday we will exhibit our Protest Art in the First Parish Parlor. Please meet in the Parish Hall at 10am to set-up our Pop-up Gallery! This is a great opportunity to express our concerns, values, and visions for a better world. Please invite your family and friends to visit our art show.

Neighboring Faiths: 7th Grade – Brooks Room, 10-11:15 a.m.
Teachers: Jan Power, Stuart Johnstone and Jen Izzo
This Sunday we will meet at First Parish to process our recent visit to the Union Baptist Church in Cambridge. We will also have an overview of Unitarian Universalism. Questions? Please contact Jan Power: jpo...@gmail.com or 978-764-8569. Thanks!

8th Grade OWL – Emerson Room, 4:00-6:00 p.m.
Facilitators: Andrea Hubbard-Nelson, Eric Read, Louisa Paushter and Tim Peacock
Session 9: Contraception
Questions? Andrea Hubbard-Nelson: andr...@mindspring.com

Ferry Beach Retreat
May 26-29 (Memorial Day Weekend), Saco, Maine
*** Registration: April 9-23 ***

Join families, couples and singles from our own congregation and First Parish in Lexington for a relaxed weekend on the beach at the UU Ferry Beach Camp and Conference Center in Saco, Maine. This is a long-standing beloved annual First Parish event and a great way to get to know fellow parishioners in a fun and relaxed setting. There are some organized activities, but you can do as much or as little as you like. Newcomers and long-time “beachers” all have a great time! Information and Registration Packets will be available and completed forms can be turned in at the Ferry Beach table at coffee hours from April 9 to April 23 and in the church office during those two weeks. As of April 9, the Registration Packet can be downloaded: www.firstparish.org/forms. For questions or to inquire about scholarship assistance, contact Darien Smith (dar...@smithquest.com). Also, check out the excellent summer camps and conferences for all ages at Ferry Beach, at www.ferrybeach.org.

Family Day at Fruitlands
Saturday, April 29
Join Howard, Amy and Dawn for a fun day at Fruitlands located at 102 Prospect Hill Road, Harvard, MA. This outing will be fun for all ages! Discover the Alcott’s 19th century utopian experiment, enjoy the beautiful grounds and explore the other small museums on site. $10 entrance fee. Bring a picnic lunch. Learn more: www.fruitlands.org No sign-up needed. We will carpool from First Parish in Concord at 9:30 am. Our outing will end by 2:00 pm for our return to Concord. If you wish to meet us at there, you’re also welcome to do so! Questions? Contact Amy: afre...@firstparish.org

Transylvania Pilgrimage Informational Meeting
Sunday, April 30, 11:30 am, Emerson Room
The Partner Congregation Committee and Amy Freedman are excited to announce that plans for a multi-generational pilgrimage to our partner congregation in Szekelykeresztur are moving forward. We are exploring either April school vacation or the summer of 2018 as possible travel dates and will have specific information about dates, costs, activities and itinerary at the meeting. This is open to all, adults and families alike. Please plan to join us if you want to hear more about it. If you are interested or have questions but are unable to attend please contact Lillian Anderson (lilli...@comcast.net) or Amy Freedman (afre...@Firstparish.org)

May Day at the Manse- 5/7
As a part of our Spring theme “Explorations with Thoreau”, there will be a field trip during regular RE time on Sunday, May 7 [Rain date: May 21]. Following the Children’s Message, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th graders who are not in OWL will walk together to the Old Manse, a 15-minute walk. We will hear stories about Henry David Thoreau and his friends at this special place. Then we will explore and play games. A snack of apples, Tostitos and water will be provided. A Permission Slip with more information is attached. Please return forms to Amy at church or by mail, email or scan: afre...@firstparish.org

Help Wanted- Little RE
Can you help? Little RE cares for our youngest children (babies through preschoolers) during Sunday services. Showing up as an adult volunteer is one of the easiest and most rewarding ways to give back to our community. We have amazing teen assistants, four scheduled each Sunday, that run the program. The commitment is from 9:45 a.m. to 11:20 a.m.. Signing up is easy though Sign Up Genius select the dates that you would like to volunteer online: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0b4faaac29a5fe3-little Please contact Dawn if you have any questions: dvanp...@firstparish.org
May Day at the Manse .pdf
This conversation is locked