[RE Announce] Announcements for Children, Youth and Families

Dawn Van Patten

Apr 14, 2017, 12:14:48 PM4/14/17
to First Parish Religious Education

Announcements for Children, Youth and Families:

·         Celebrating Easter

·         Little RE

·         First Parish Passover Seder

·         Multi-age Workshop: 4/23

·         Youth Discussion Circle:4/23

·         Family Day at Fruitlands- 4/29

·         Transylvania Pilgrimage Informational Meeting- 4/30

·         May Day at the Manse- 5/7

·         Ferry Beach Retreat

·         Help Wanted- Little RE

·         RE Family Survey

Celebrating Easter

Sunday, April 16, 2017

On Easter Sunday, we will hold two services: 9:00am and 11:00am.  Rev. Howard Dana will preach.  Featuring music by the First Parish Choir and Festival Brass.  Celebrate the story of Jesus’ resurrection.  Rejoice with his friends that love is stronger than death.  Feel the places in your life where you can come alive again.  There will be an Easter Egg Hunt on the church grounds between the two services.

Little RE – Lower Level

Teachers: Heather Packard and Dawn Van Patten

Teaching Assistants on a rotating schedule:  Talia Aley, Evie Hamor, Olivia Holmes, Rosie Jimenez, Claire Parish-Cowan, Talia Smith, Laura (Nuffi) Wallis,

Our youngest children (0-4 years) will play in a caring environment with time for making friends, reading stories, playing outdoors, eating snack, and craft projects. Parents are invited to bring their children to the classroom fifteen minutes before worship service begins (8:45am and 10:45am).

First Parish Passover Seder

Saturday, April 22, Parish Hall, 5:00pm

The Passover Seder is an ancient celebration of freedom.  Rev. Amy Freedman, our Minister of Religious Education is leading our service. The Parish Hall becomes our family dining room. This Cooperative Seder is a fun and meaningful ritual for all ages to eat, tell the Passover story and reflect on our lives together!  Whether you have a Jewish background or never attended a Seder before, you and your family are welcome.  Get tickets and sign up to help at Coffee Hours on Sundays April 9 or 16. Suggested donation for dinner: $20 for adults, free over 80 or under 7, and $10 between 7 and 12. *Questions? Email Del Friedman:

 gstodel...@gmail.com or call Dana Snyder-Grant: cell phone # 978-760-1129.

RE Multi-age Workshop: Sunday, April 23

As we think about Earth Day and the upcoming Climate March in DC, we will learn about activism and meet local climate activists from Mothers Out Front.  We will hear about the power of working together and how we can make a difference in our communities.  This program is offered to children Kindergarten - 6th grade during our regularly scheduled RE time.

Youth Discussion Circle

Sunday, April 23, 11:15am -12:30pm in the Loft

Youth, please join us for the first in a series of  discussion circles on Thoreau & Transcendentalism.  Please contact Christa Champion, Youth Programs Director, for more information: ccha...@firstparish.org

Family Day at Fruitlands
Saturday, April 29
Join Howard, Amy and Dawn for a fun day at Fruitlands located at 102 Prospect Hill Road, Harvard, MA. This outing will be fun for all ages! Discover the Alcott’s 19th century utopian experiment, enjoy the beautiful grounds and explore the other small museums on site. $10 entrance fee. Bring a picnic lunch. Learn more:
www.fruitlands.org No sign-up needed. We will carpool from First Parish in Concord at 9:30 am. Our outing will end by 2:00 pm for our return to Concord. If you wish to meet us at there, you’re also welcome to do so! Questions? Contact Amy: afre...@firstparish.org

Transylvania Pilgrimage Informational Meeting
Sunday, April 30, 11:30 am, Emerson Room

The Partner Congregation Committee and Amy Freedman are excited to announce that plans for a multi-generational pilgrimage to our partner congregation in Szekelykeresztur are moving forward. We are exploring either April school vacation or the summer of 2018 as possible travel dates and will have specific information about dates, costs, activities and itinerary at the meeting. This is open to all, adults and families alike. Please plan to join us if you want to hear more about it. If you are interested or have questions but are unable to attend please contact Lillian Anderson (
lilli...@comcast.net) or Amy Freedman (afre...@Firstparish.org)

May Day at the Manse- 5/7

As a part of our Spring theme “Explorations with Thoreau”, there will be a field trip during regular RE time on Sunday, May 7 [Rain date: May 21].   Following the Children’s Message, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th graders who are not in OWL will walk together to the Old Manse, a 15-minute walk. We will hear stories about Henry David Thoreau and his friends at this special place.  Then we will explore and play games. A snack of apples, Tostitos and water will be provided. A Permission Slip with more information is attached.  Please return forms to Amy at church or by mail, email or scan: afre...@firstparish.org

Ferry Beach Retreat
May 26-29 (Memorial Day Weekend), Saco, Maine
*** Registration: April 9-23 ***
Join families, couples and singles from our own congregation and First Parish in Lexington for a relaxed weekend on the beach at the UU Ferry Beach Camp and Conference Center in Saco, Maine. This is a long-standing beloved annual First Parish event and a great way to get to know fellow parishioners in a fun and relaxed setting.  There are some organized activities, but you can do as much or as little as you like. Newcomers and long-time “beachers” all have a great time!  Information and Registration Packets will be available and completed forms can be turned in at the Ferry Beach table at coffee hours from April 9 to April 23 and in the church office during those two weeks. As of April 9, the Registration Packet can also be downloaded from www.firstparish.org/forms. For questions or to inquire about scholarship assistance, contact Darien Smith (dar...@smithquest.com). Also, check out the excellent summer camps and conferences for all ages at Ferry Beach, at www.ferrybeach.org.

Help Wanted- Little RE
Can you help? Little RE cares for our youngest children (babies through preschoolers) during Sunday services. Showing up as an adult volunteer is one of the easiest and most rewarding ways to give back to our community. We have amazing teen assistants, four scheduled each Sunday, that run the program. The commitment is from 9:45 a.m. to 11:20 a.m.. Signing up is easy though Sign Up Genius select the dates that you would like to volunteer online:
http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0b4faaac29a5fe3-little

Please contact Dawn if you have any questions: dvanp...@firstparish.org

RE Family Survey

We are blessed to have an active and committed Religious Education community at First Parish.  Every week, First Parish is filled with children and families having fun, creating new connections, enjoying long-time friends and embracing our community and our liberal religious tradition.  We want to know more about how you experience First Parish.  Please take 5 minutes to complete the anonymous survey.   https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FDDRGLW

If you have any questions, please call, text or email Leslie Pelton Nichol at 781-929-1147 or lpe...@ljpconsult.com.  Thank you.

May Day at the Manse .pdf