Celebration Sunday!

Rev. Amy Freedman

Mar 3, 2017, 11:35:26 AM3/3/17
to First Parish Religious Education

Announcements for Children, Youth and Families:

  • A Note from Amy
  • March Newsletter for First Parish in Concord
  • What’s happening this Sunday, March 5?
  • Youth Drop-in “Office Hours”
  • ANOTHER WORLD IS POSSIBLE: UU Youth Justice Weekend
  • Across the Kitchen Table - Families Divided by Politics
  • Coming of Age Service
  • Yoga with Laura Grundstrom
  • Join First Parish at the March for Jobs, Justice and the Climate in DC!
  • 2018 Pilgrimage to Transylvania

A Note from Amy

What a difference a year makes!  Last year at this time, I invited families to contribute to First Parish in Concord with the goal of eliminating fees for our Religious Education program. Together we accomplished what seemed like a distant goal.  This year there were no fees for participation in our programs for children and youth.

I hope that you and your family will participate in “Celebration Sunday” on March 5th!  All ages will begin and end in the service together.  There will still be Little RE for our youngest children. However, children and youth will learn a song together in the Parish Hall and return to the service to celebrate with their families.

Please attend Sunday’s service and be prepared to make a financial contribution to First Parish. In a time filled with anxiety and fear, I am grateful for our community that is dedicated to peace, love and empowering our young people to reflect on their lives and work together for positive change in the world.  It is our gifts of time, talent and treasure that keep our congregation alive and vital.

If you have any questions about membership or pledging, please be in touch with me: afre...@firstparish.org

Blessings,

Amy

Rev. Amy Freedman, Minister of Religious Education

March Newsletter for First Parish in Concord

The March edition of the Meeting House News is available here:

http://firstparish.org/wp/news/meeting-house-news/

What’s happening this Sunday, March 5?

Please read below to discover what your child(ren) are exploring this Sunday!

Little RE (0-4yrs) – Lower Level, 9:50 a.m.

Teachers: Colleen Mischel and Danielle McKenna

Teaching Assistants on a rotating schedule:  Talia Aley, Evie Hamor, Olivia Holmes, Rosie Jimenez, Claire Parish-Cowan, Talia Smith, Laura (Nuffi) Wallis,

Our youngest children (0-4 years) will play in a caring environment with time for making friends, reading stories, playing outdoors, eating snack, and craft projects. Parents are invited to bring their children to the classroom fifteen minutes before worship service begins (9:45am).

Celebration Sunday! Worship Service, 10:00 a.m.

All ages will begin and end in worship together next week. During the service, children and youth will go to the Parish Hall to learn a song with Gail Carey and Anderson Manuel and make a surprise! We will return to the Sanctuary for the end of the service. Little RE will also be available.

Neighboring Faiths (8th Grade)

Teachers: Jan Power, Dana Lissy and Melanie Lyons

This weekend we have two house of worship visits.  This evening Friday, March 3rd, we go to Kerem Shalom synagogue in Concord.  Meet-up time at First Parish: 6:40 p.m., returning around 9:15 p.m. On Sunday, we head to Ashland to visit the Sri Lakshmi Hindu Temple.  Meet-up time at First Parish: 10:00a.m. in the Parlor. This means that we should return around 12:15 instead of the later time originally stated in the Doodle poll. For this visit, everyone needs to have their arms and legs covered. You will also be expected to remove your shoes at the entrance to the temple, so please plan accordingly. Thanks! Jan Power: jpo...@gmail.com

8th Grade OWL, 4:00-6:00p.m., Emerson Room

Facilitators: Andrea Hubbard Nelson, Louisa Paushter, Tim Peacock and Eric Read

Session 7: Pregnancy, unintended pregnancy and abortion

Questions? Andrea Hubbard-Nelson: andr...@mindspring.com

Coming of Age (9th Grade), 4:00-6:00p.m., Brooks Room

Mentors: Del Friedman, Kathy Tyrer, Gib Metcalf

This Sunday we will continue our worship planning. Please bring your COA journals, as usual—and your ideas for our March 12 service. Christa Champion, Youth Program Director: ccha...@firstparish.org

Youth Drop-in “Office Hours”

Christa Champion, our Youth Programs Director will be available during Coffee Hour on Sunday, March 5 to meet with youth and adults to answer questions especially about the upcoming UU Youth Justice Weekend. Email: ccha...@firstparish.org

ANOTHER WORLD IS POSSIBLE: UU Youth Justice Weekend

Friday, March 17, 7pm- Sunday, March 19, 9:30am, Winchester Unitarian Society

Join UU Youth of the Northeast region for a weekend of trainings, worship, community bonding, and movement building.  A flyer with more information is attached. Please let Christa know you plan to attend by Wednesday, March 8th: ccha...@firstparish.org

Across the Kitchen Table - Families Divided by Politics

Sunday, March 5th, 11:30am to 1:00pm, The Loft (across from Emerson Room)

The deep divisions in our world challenge us, especially when loved ones disagree on politics.   If you are struggling with how to understand, accept, or make peace with loved ones with different political views, you are not alone.   Please join as we share our struggles, support one another, and decide how best we might help each other move forward.  Please contact Rev. Marion Visel (MVi...@Firstparish.org or 978-369-9602, ext. 414) or Trena Minudri (ab1...@yahoo.com, 617/686-8235) if you plan to attend, or if you are interested in this topic but unavailable March 5.  Drop-ins are welcome.

Coming of Age Service

Sunday, March 12, 10:00 a.m.

Our Coming of Age Service will be the culmination of our 9th grade program.  The youth will present their credos, personal statements of belief to our congregation.  This is always a moving rite of passage.  We encourage children who are in the 5th grade and older to attend that service. All ages are welcome!

Yoga with Laura Grundstrom

Sunday, March 12, 10:15 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.

Following the Children’s Message, there will be a special Yoga session in the Emerson Room for children in Kindergarten through 4th grade who do not wish to stay in the Coming of Age service.  We are delighted to welcome back Laura Grundstrom who is a certified YogaKids teacher.  Some yoga mats will be available.  *If your family has any yoga mats, please bring them to First Parish that morning.  Laura is looking forward to teaching our children and sharing with them her passion for yoga and fun!

“Grub’s Place” Family Show at First Parish!

Friday, March 31, April 1, 7, and 8, at 7:30 p.m. on the Parish Hall stage

“Grub’s Place” is an original musical for all ages set in an ant colony that explores community life and is enlivened by a praying mantis, irreverent fireflies and a past-her-prime reclusive spider. Turf battles, jealous hearts and prejudice threaten the colony’s survival. “Grub’s Place” is created and performed by First Parish members, written and composed by Jane Blumberg, directed by Francene Amari and produced by Claudia Nimar. The show is entertaining for the whole family! Tickets ($20.00 adults, $10 students) are available online: www.mktix.com/fpuuc or can be purchased at Coffee Hour and through the Church Office: 978-369-9602.

Join First Parish at the March for Jobs, Justice and the Climate in DC!

Get on the bus! First Parish in Concord has booked two buses to the national Jobs, Justice & Climate March on Saturday, April 29 in Washington DC. Seats are open to all, and we anticipate this will be a family-friendly event. Cost is $110 per person (discount available for First Parish children and youth upon request). The buses will depart at ~10pm on Friday, April 28, and return early Sunday morning, April 30. Register online here or send email to Kate Crosby: cfcr...@gmail.com or Berni Jenkins: bernij...@gmail.com. We’ll do art-making on April 23 – details to follow! A flyer with more information is attached. Discover more at peoplesclimate.org

2018 Pilgrimage to Transylvania
We are pleased to announce that plans are underway for a multigenerational trip to our partner church in Székelykeresztúr. The planning team is considering two possible times:
1) Spring Pilgrimage: Saturday, April 12- Saturday, April 22, 2018 (Public School Vacation)
2) Summer Pilgrimage: July 26- August 6 or 7, 2018
More details about the timing and price will be announced this spring. There will be a 2018 Transylvania Pilgrimage Interest Meeting on Sunday, April 30 after the service. Please let Amy know if your family may be interested in joining us and especially if you prefer Spring or Summer:
afre...@firstparish.org

Youth Justice Con flyer.docx
Climate March flyer First Parish.pdf
This conversation is locked