Last Session of World Religions term

Rev. Amy Freedman

Feb 10, 2017, 10:41:36 AM2/10/17
to First Parish Religious Education

Announcements for Children, Youth and Families:

·      A Message from Amy

·      Origami Boxes of Hope- Multi-age Workshop

·      “Hey, let’s put on a show!” Multi-age Workshop

·      What’s Happening this Sunday, February 12?

A Message from Amy

This Sunday will be our last session of the “World Religions” term.  Special thanks to all our RE volunteers and guests!  This was an enriching experience for all ages.  I appreciate your gifts of time, caring and creativity.  Together we are creating a community of love where children and youth feel valued and expand both their understanding and abilities.

With Gratitude,

Amy

Origami Boxes of Hope- Multi-age Workshop

Sunday, February 19, 10:15-11:15 a.m.

with Heather Koerber Nunes, Jake Nunes and Amy Rensko

Following the Children’s Message, all ages will gather in the Emerson Room. What brings us hope when we are feeling sad or discouraged? We will talk about the thoughts, memories or ideas we store up for "winter" or times we are sad.  Then we will create origami boxes and write/draw our memories or happy thoughts to keep inside. Little RE will also be available downstairs for children 0-4 years old.

“Hey, let’s put on a show!” Multi-age Workshop

Sunday, February 26, 10:15-11:15 a.m.

with Jane Blumberg, Claudia Nimar and Terry Rothermel

Grub’s Place is a new musical, written and composed by Jane Blumberg, directed by Francene Amari and produced by Claudia Nimar at First Parish in Concord. In this intergenerational musical, set in an ant colony, Grub creates a spot for everyone by commanding compassion rather than conformity. Following the Children’s Message, all ages will meet with Jane, Claudia and Terry (who plays the main character Grub). Come discover what it takes to create a show! Little RE will also be available downstairs for children 0-4 years old.

What’s happening this Sunday, February 12?

Please read below to discover what your child(ren) are exploring this Sunday!

9:50 a.m. – Little RE (0-4yrs) – Lower Level

10:00 a.m. – Neighboring Faiths (Grade 7) – Brooks Room

10:00 a.m. – Worship Service

Children in Kindergarten through Grade 6 begin in the Sanctuary with their families.   Following our Children’s Message, the children leave the Sanctuary for their classroom with their teachers. All RE classes are held until 11:15am.  Parents of children 0-Grade 3 are asked to pick up their children in their classrooms listed below.  Older children and youth will be dismissed to Coffee Hour.

10:15-11:15 a.m.- Religious Education Classes

         Kindergarten & Grade 1– Lower Level

         Grades 2­– Greeley Room

         Grade 3– Ripley Room

         Grade 4– Emerson Room

         Grade 5– Bulkeley Room

         Neighboring Activists (Grade 6)– Chapel

4:00-6:00 p.m., 8th Grade OWL – Emerson Room

Little RE – Lower Level

Teachers: Colleen Mischel and Dawn Van Patten

Teaching Assistants on a rotating schedule:  Talia Aley, Evie Hamor, Olivia Holmes, Rosie Jimenez, Claire Parish-Cowan, Talia Smith, Laura (Nuffi) Wallis,

Our youngest children (0-4 years) will play in a caring environment with time for making friends, reading stories, playing outdoors, eating snack, and craft projects. Parents are invited to bring their children to the classroom fifteen minutes before worship service begins (9:45am).

Spirit Play- Kindergarten – Lower Level

Teachers: Amy Happ and Jean Chandler

This week the group will learn about the Golden Rule, a rule that is taught in many world religions. The class will read “Do Unto Otters” by Laurie Keller and talk about acts of kindness.

Spirit Play- Grade 1 – Lower Level

Teachers: Robin Ahigian and Todd Benjamin

The week the group will learn about the Golden Rule, a rule that is taught in every major world religion.  The class will read “The Golden Rule” by Ilene Cooper and Gabi Swiatkowska and talk about acts of kindness.

Grade 2 – Greeley Room
Teachers: Jill O’Sullivan and Peter Bowden
Grade 3 – Ripley Room
Teachers: Trena Minudri and Leslie Pelton Nichol

Guest: Rose Cratsley
For the final session of the World Religions term, our theme will be Buddhism.  We will have special guests who will share Buddhist practices with us including meditation.

Grade 4 – Emerson Room
Teachers: Kristen Kenney and Joshua Israel

Grade 5 – Bulkeley Room
Teachers: Leah Russell and Kristen Parlman

For the final session of the World Religions term, our theme will be Buddhism.  We will learn about the life of the Buddha. Then we will practice a Loving-Kindness Meditation. Special thanks to our wonderful Winter RE teachers!

Neighboring Activists (Grade 6) – Chapel
Teachers: John Boynton and Mariko Chang
We had a great trip to Buddy Dog and enjoyed a nice meal together afterward at Sorrento’s Pizzeria.  John took photos of the group at the shelter.  This Sunday we will reflect on the activities thus far and write thank you notes to Buddy Dog and to the pet stores that helped collect items for donation.  This will be Mariko and John’s last Sunday with the group! There are wonderful plans taking shape for the Spring with Jan Goddard-Taylor and Ayres Stiles-Hall.

Neighboring Faiths (Grade 7) – Brooks Room, 10-11:15 a.m.

Teachers: Jan Power, Dana Lissy and Melanie Lyons

This Sunday we will process our visit to Grace Chapel, an evangelical protestant church in Lexington.  Then we will prepare for our upcoming visits to Sri Lakshmi Temple (Hindu) in Ashland and the Islamic Center of Boston in Wayland. Questions? Contact Jan Power: jpo...@gmail.com

8th Grade OWL Emerson Room, 3:00-5:00pm

Facilitators: Andrea Hubbard-Nelson, Eric Read, Louisa Paushter and

Tim Peacock

Session 5: Lovemaking, Abstinence, Masturbation

Questions? Andrea Hubbard-Nelson: andr...@mindspring.com

This conversation is locked