Yoga, Kindness Rocks & Call to Arts!

Rev. Amy Freedman

Jun 9, 2017, 6:59:24 AM6/9/17
to First Parish Religious Education

News for Children, Youth and Families:

  • March in the Boston Pride Parade
  • First Parish in Concord Annual Meeting
  • Summer Sundays at First Parish
  • Yoga, Kindergarten to 3rd Grade
  • Kindness Rocks! 4th and 5th Grades
  • Call to Arts for Environmental Justice!
  • Next Sunday: Flower Communion Service
  • Please Register Children and Youth for 2017-18
  • Join a Religious Exploration Team
  • Pilgrimage to Transylvania- April 2018

March in the Boston Pride Parade

Saturday, June 10, Boston

The Diversity Committee will take a group to march with our First Parish Banner in the Boston Pride Parade this Saturday, June 10. This is a fun event and we’ll march rain or shine. All are invited to join us, including families with kids, youth, and adults. The parade starts at noon on Boylston Street near Copley Square, and ends at City Hall Plaza, where the Pride Festival will be taking place. If you’d like to participate, please contact Sara Ballard at sa...@sb.org to sign up or ask questions. Please wear colorful, festive clothes and join us to celebrate the LGBTQ community!  You may also join us at the last minute, even if you haven’t signed up ahead of time.

First Parish in Concord Annual Meeting

Sunday, June 11, 11:30 a.m., Sanctuary

Childcare Adult Volunteer:  Peter Nichol

Teen Assistants:  Olivia Holmes and Claire Parish-Cowan

We invite you to take part in our Annual Meeting. You will receive reports from staff and committees, vote on officers and committee members, approve delegates to UUA General Assembly, approve the budget for next year and more. Who can vote? First Parish members who have signed the Membership Book at least 30 days prior to the meeting. Childcare will be available in the Brooks Room. Please pack a nut-free lunch for your child(ren). Contact: Kristin Haddad, Standing Committee Chair, Kristin...@gmail.com or 978-254-5012

Summer Sundays at First Parish

Children and youth of all ages are invited to drop-in for our fun Summer Program held every Sunday during the service time 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. (except on July 2). Join us for Creature Teachers, Messy Art, Yoga and more!  *A flyer with more information is attached.  This program is designed to be fun and enriching for the whole family.  Our goal is for you to feel energized and renewed!

What is Happening this Sunday, June 11

9:45 a.m. – Little RE (0-4yrs)– Lower Level

10:00 a.m. – Worship Service

Children and youth begin in the Sanctuary with their families. Following our Children’s Message, young people leave the Sanctuary for their classrooms with their teachers. Parents of children 0-Grade 3 are asked to pick up their children in their classrooms listed below.  Older children and youth will be dismissed to Coffee Hour.

10:15-11:00 a.m. – Religious Education Classes

            Kindergarten to 3rd Grade– Emerson Room

         4th and 5th Grades– Brooks Room

6th to 8th Grades and Youth– Outdoors or Greeley/Ripley Rooms

11:30 a.m. – Annual Meeting– Sanctuary

11:30 a.m. – Childcare– Brooks Room

Little RE – Lower Level

Teacher: Chris Vallancourt

Teaching Assistants on a rotating schedule:  Talia Aley, Evie Hamor, Olivia Holmes, Rosie Jimenez, Claire Parish-Cowan, Talia Smith, Laura (Nuffi) Wallis

Our youngest children (0-4 years) will play in a caring environment with time for making friends, reading stories, playing outdoors, eating snack, and craft projects. Parents are invited to bring their children to the classroom fifteen minutes before worship service begins (9:45am).

Yoga, Kindergarten to 3rd Grade, Emerson Room

Teachers: Laura Grundstrom and Carol Harris

Following the Children’s Message, a special Yoga session will be offered for Kindergarten – 3rd graders in the Emerson Room.  Our yoga instructor will be Laura Grundstrom who is a certified YogaKids teacher.  Some yoga mats will be available.  If your family has any yoga mats, please bring them to First Parish on Sunday.  Laura is looking forward to teaching our children and sharing with them her passion for yoga and fun!  Parents are asked to pick up their kids in the Emerson Room following the service.

Kindness Rocks! 4th and 5th Grades, Brooks Room

Teachers: Dawn Van Patten and Amy Freedman

4th and 5th graders are invited to bring a rock to First Parish on Sunday. Please choose a medium sized rock that is larger than a pebble but small enough to carry.  Kindness rocks are painted with inspirational words or cheerful pictures and left somewhere for someone else to find.   More information and pictures can be found here: Kindness Rocks Project Come join the fun.

Call to Arts for Environmental Justice!

6th- 9th Grades and Youth, Outdoors (or Ripley/Greeley Rooms)

Teachers: Peter Bowden and Margot Kimball

We have been issued a call to make tree banners that will be used later this month in our General Assembly in New Orleans. Older kids and youth will make a banner of a First Parish tree.  Tree banners will be used during the General Assembly Opening Ceremony, “UU Climate Justice Collaboratory” Workshop, “Decolonization is Climate Justice” workshop, and for street theater during public witness. Read more here: http://buff.ly/2rycKmy

Next Sunday: Flower Communion Service

Sunday, June 18, 10:00 a.m.

All ages worship together in the Sanctuary.  Each person is invited to bring a flower to the service.  We will be joining many UU congregations in celebrating a Flower Communion. Little RE for children 0-4 years will be available.

Please Register Children and Youth for 2017-18

New and returning families are encouraged to register children and youth for the 2017-2018 church year.  Our program is year-round but we offer classes by age-group in the Fall, Winter and Spring seasons. Please sign-up today so we can plan and be prepared to welcome your family! Registration for Children and Youth: https://goo.gl/forms/nHIXFXbJUpxRb0B52

Join a Religious Exploration Team

This year teachers will work in teams and each member will volunteer for eight Sundays across the church year. We hope that this new arrangement will give you more flexibility and help develop closer connections between children and co-teachers.

Volunteer Sign-up: http://tinyurl.com/ConcordRETeacher2017-18 Links are also on our website. Please contact our Assistant Director of Religious Education, Dawn: dvanp...@firstparish.org or our Minister of Religious Education, Amy: afre...@firstparish.org for more information or to explore the possibilities!

Pilgrimage to Transylvania- April 2018

The Partner Congregation Committee (PCC) and Rev. Amy Freedman, Minister of Religious Education, are excited to announce that, in collaboration with our partner congregation in Székelykeresztúr, next April 2018 is the best time for our multigenerational pilgrimage to Transylvania.  The dates are during the school vacation leaving either Thursday or Friday, April 12 or 13 and returning on Monday, April 23, 2018. The cost will be $1800-2200 per person (largely driven by airfares) and we will have the details by fall.  This pilgrimage is open to all, individuals and families alike. Scholarship assistance is available by contacting Amy. A $200 per person or $500 per family deposit is due by June 30, 2017.  Please make checks payable to First Parish in Concord, Memo: Family Pilgrimage and mail to First Parish in Concord, 20 Lexington Road, Concord, MA 01742 Attn: Family Pilgrimage. Scholarship assistance is available. If you are interested or have questions, contact Amy: afre...@Firstparish.org

Summer 2017 Flyer .docx
This conversation is locked