"Huckleberry Hunting with Thoreau"

Rev. Amy Freedman

May 12, 2017, 10:22:15 AM5/12/17
to First Parish Religious Education

Announcements for Children, Youth and Families:

  • Neighboring Activists Looking for Feedback
  • RE Family Survey
  • This Sunday, May 14
  • Rev. Amy Freedman preaching “Huckleberry Hunting with Thoreau”
  • Mother’s Day Coffee Hour- Multi-age RE Program, Parish Hall
  • Middle OWL– Wright Tavern, 10:00-11:15 a.m.
  • Supporting Syrian Refugee Family

Neighboring Activists Looking for Feedback
The 6th grade Neighboring Activists stood up for their values on April 4th.  They would like a few words of feedback for their "Pop Up Pro-Test Art Gallery." If you were moved or inspired, positively, passionately or pessimistically please email:
jangodda...@comcast.net   Our young activists need some feedback on the impact of their signs and Pop-Up Gallery. As their teachers this term we're really proud of these kids & we believe it's important to let them know how their voices and actions matter. Thank you on behalf of our kids and our future!
Jan Goddard Taylor
Ayres Stiles Hall

RE Family Survey

We are blessed to have an active and committed Religious Education community at First Parish in Concord.  Every week, First Parish is filled with children and families having fun, creating new connections, enjoying long-time friends and embracing our community and our liberal religious tradition.  We want to know more about how you experience First Parish.  Please take 5 minutes to complete the anonymous survey.   https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FDDRGLW

If you have any questions, please call, text or email RE Council Chair, Leslie Pelton Nichol at 781-929-1147 or lpe...@ljpconsult.com   Thank you!

This Sunday, May 14

9:45 a.m. – Little RE (0-4yrs), Lower Level

10:00-11:15 a.m.– Middle OWL, Wright Tavern

10:00 a.m. – Worship Service, Sanctuary

Rev. Amy Freedman preaching “Huckleberry Hunting with Thoreau”

Children in Kindergarten and up begin in the Sanctuary with their families. Following our Children’s Message, the children leave the Sanctuary for the Parish Hall. Today we will be hosting a special Mother’s Day Coffee Hour.  Parents of our youngest children in Little RE are asked to pick up their children on the lower level. 5th graders in Middle OWL meet 10-11:15am in the Wright Tavern.

10:15-11:00 a.m.- Multi-age Mother’s Day Program, Parish Hall

Next Sunday, May 21: RE Classes

Little RE – Lower Level
Teachers: TBD
Teaching Assistants on a rotating schedule: Talia Aley, Evie Hamor, Olivia Holmes, Rosie Jimenez, Claire Parish-Cowan, Talia Smith, Laura (Nuffi) Wallis,
Our youngest children (0-4 years) will play in a caring environment with time for making friends, reading stories, playing outdoors, eating snack, and craft projects. Parents are invited to bring their children to the classroom fifteen minutes before worship service begins (9:45am).

Mother's Day Coffee Hour- Multi-age Program, Parish Hall

Leaders: Dawn Van Patten, Michael Madera, Chris Vallancourt and Dave VenesyThis Sunday, May 14 following the Children's Message, children and youth gather in the Parish Hall. Together we will decorate and prepare refreshments (fruit kebabs, nut-free store bought cookies, punch) to host a Mother's Day Coffee Hour for our First Parish community.  There will also be an opportunity to write a song or poem for mom (or grandma or a special person in your life) to put in a card and/or perform during an “Open Mic” on the Parish Hall stage during Social Hour. Come join the fun!

Middle OWL– Wright Tavern, 10:00-11:15 a.m.
Teachers: Jeff Brainerd and Lora Venesy
In our next session we will talk about sexual health and safety, focusing specifically on the following areas: safety in the online and digital world, sexually transmitted infections and sexual abuse/harassment. Clearly these are huge (and sensitive) areas to cover, so we are really hoping the kids will do their reading in It's Perfectly Normal so that we can focus on the crucial aspects.

Supporting Syrian Refugee Family

The Alloh family of 7, now housed with Donna Vaillancourt and Sean Kavanagh, escaped Syria to refugee camps in Jordan 5 years ago, then last August to the United States. They are hopeful about securing permanent housing in a local community.  For more information, check out this great video from Sean's recent presentation at the First Parish Forum: https://youtu.be/S43S9cQTM3g The First Parish Youth Group is helping organize some work parties soon.  Would you like to help? Please sign up at Coffee Hour.

This conversation is locked