First Parish Calendar This Week/Next Week (September 11-24)

FirstParishinConcord

Sep 11, 2017, 4:28:10 PM9/11/17
to firstparis...@googlegroups.com

CALENDAR AT A GLANCE
Monday September 11
   1:30 p.m., Caregiver Support Group
   7:00 p.m., Immigration Justice Task Force Meeting
Tuesday September 12
   9:00 a.m., WPA Board Meeting
   2:00 p.m., Shawl Ministry
   6:30 p.m., T'ai Chi
Wednesday September 13
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir Rehearsal
Thursday September 14
   7:00 p.m., Race Conversations Group
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
Friday September 15
   7:00 p.m., Jewish Awareness Affinity Group
Saturday September 16
   9:00 a.m., Advocates for Women's Empowerment Meeting
   7:00 p.m., "Go Granny D"
Sunday September 17
   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir Rehearsal
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir Rehearsal
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Service in the Sanctuary
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir Rehearsal

11:30 a.m., Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
Monday September 18
   7:00 p.m., Thoreau as a Spiritual Guide
Tuesday September 19
   10:00 a.m., Flower Committee Meeting
   6:30 p.m., T'ai Chi
   7:00 p.m., NAMI Family-to-Family
   7:00 p.m., Amnesty International
Wednesday September 20
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   11:30 a.m., WPA Luncheon Program
   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir Rehearsal
Thursday September 21
   7:00 p.m., Membership Committee Meeting
   7:30 p.m., By Your Side Singers
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
Friday September 22
   7:00 p.m., Spiritual Audacity Book Launch
   7:30 p.m., Rise Up Singing
Saturday September 23
   10:00 a.m., Discussion On The 7.5% to Social Action
 Sunday September 24
   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir Rehearsal
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir Rehearsal
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Service in the Sanctuary
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir Rehearsal
   11:30 a.m., Transylvania Pilgrimage Session
   12:15 p.m., Contemporary Vocal Ensemble

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
THIS WEEK (September 11-17)
*Caregiver Support Group
Monday September 11, 1:30 p.m.
Providing care for a family member in need is an age-old act of love or at least loyalty. You may care for an aging parent, while also caring for your own children, a disabled spouse, sibling or young or adult child with physical, mental or addiction issues. Whether you provide direct care or oversee care at a distance, with support you can be a good caregiver without sacrificing yourself in the process. This group meets regularly. Please contact facilitators Marion Visel, Minister for Pastoral Care, mvi...@firstparish.org, or Diane Clapp, dianeb...@gmail.com, to learn more about the group. If you are unable to attend meetings on Monday afternoon, please let either Marion or Diane know.

*Immigration Justice Task Force Meeting
Monday September 11, 7:00 p.m.

Have you heard of Sanctuary? Do you know what a “Dreamer” is? DACA perhaps? First Parish in Bedford is now ready to offer physical sanctuary, as a Level 1 congregation, to immigrants in danger of immediate deportation. The IJTF has voted to support this important work. We invite the First Parish Concord congregation to join us in officially supporting First Parish Bedford, as a Level 2 Sanctuary congregation. The Standing Committee will be voting in October. The SC and the IJTF would like to hear your questions, concerns and opinions. For the IJTF please contact Tony Rodriguez at trod.ro...@gmail.com or Laurie VanLoon at lvan...@comcast.net.

*WPA Board Meeting
Tuesday September 12, 9:00 a.m.

*Shawl Ministry
Tuesday September 12, 2:00 p.m.

*T'ai Chi
Tuesday September 12, 6:30 p.m.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday September 13, 9:30 a.m.
Come explore Buddhism with us Wednesdays from 9:30-11:00 a.m. (or Thursdays from 7:30-9:00 p.m.). Even if you have no previous experience with Buddhism, consider joining one of these groups. A typical session usually starts with some chanting and meditation to help us calm our minds and focus our thoughts. Then, after a brief reading or lecture, we discuss how to apply what we have learned to our daily lives. Questions are always welcome. We are a friendly, welcoming group. Check out a session or two. Contact Bill Seaver at Bill....@gmail.com.

*Adult Choir Rehearsal
Wednesday September 13, 7:45 p.m.

*Race Conversations Group
Thursday September 14, 7:00 p.m.

The Race Conversations Group meets on the second Thursday of every month, beginning September 14. Come join us. For more information, contact the chairs, CC King, at ccking.i...@gmail.com or 617- 710-1153, or Margie King Saphier at mksa...@comcast.net or 781-424-2179

*Buddhist Group
Thursday September 14, 7:30 p.m.

*Jewish Awareness Affinity Group
Friday September 15, 7:00 p.m.
Come to the Jewish Awareness Affinity Group on the third Friday of September, when Jim Snyder-Grant will lead a conversation about why Hebrew is written right to left.  He welcomes speculation and made up answers. We’ll share challah, wine, blessings, and conversation. All are welcome. For more information, contact Dana Snyder-Grant, dana.sny...@gmail.com or 978-760-1129

*Advocates for Women's Empowerment (AWE) Meeting
Saturday September 16, 9:00 a.m.

Calling activists and feminists who wish to engage in social justice initiatives to empower women! Join us on Saturday, September 16, at 8:00 a.m. at Trail’s End Café in Concord to discuss plans for the upcoming year. Our prior initiatives include the LunaFest film festival, women’s toiletry drives, volunteering at Rosie’s Place, organizing buses to the Women’s March, raising money to help sex trafficking victims, supporting the ACLU, lobbying days at the State House, a Women’s’ Health forum, and more! Add your ideas and energy! Meetings are the third Saturday of the month. Contact Lora Venesy at ven...@comcast.net.

*"Go Granny D"
Saturday September 16, 7:00 p.m
Come enjoy this 50-minute theatrical performance followed by discussion, sponsored by Reclaim Our Democracy and People Govern, Not Money. At age ninety, Doris “Granny D” Haddock blazed a 3200-mile trail across the United States for campaign finance reform, precipitating the passage of the McCain-Feingold Act. "Off Broadway actress Barbara Bates Smith and musician Jeff Sebens highlight the story of this crusader who took the world by surprise and was elevated to national fame.”—The Monterey Weekly. For more information, email Fred Van Deusen at fredv...@gmail.com.

*Chalice Choir Rehearsal
Sunday September 17, 9:00 a.m.

*Gospel Choir Rehearsal
Sunday September 17, 9:00 a.m.

*Sunday Service in the Sanctuary
Sunday September 17, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Howard N. Dana: "Small R Republicanism"
Music: First Parish Choir

*Junior Choir Rehearsal
Sunday September 17, 11:30 a.m.

*Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
Sunday September 17, 11:30 a.m.
The General Assembly (GA) is the annual meeting of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA), where attendees worship, witness, sing, learn, connect, and make policy for the association through the democratic process. When the UUA GA met in New Orleans in June 2017 in the midst of our society’s turmoil, it was really powerful. The combination of the extraordinary events within our own denomination’s leadership and the focus of the upheavals in our society combined to encourage honest discussion about the issue of white supremacy. The GA delegates, both on-site and off-site, will share some of those moments and hopefully inspire you to attend GA in the future. They also bring back resources that will benefit First Parish as we attempt to understand how we can change some of our own patterns.

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
NEXT WEEK (September 18-24)
*Thoreau as a Spiritual Guide
Monday September 18, 7:00 p.m.

Rev. Marion Visel will facilitate a series of conversations focused on Thoreau’s classic, Walden. We will read it as a do-it-yourself guide to simple living, as we wrestle with the questions it raises for us personally. Attendance limited to 15 participants. For registration and information, contact Rev. Marion Visel at marion...@gmail.com, or by leaving a note in her mailbox in the First Parish office.

*Flower Committee Meeting

Tuesday September 19, 10:00 a.m.

*T'ai Chi
Tuesday September 19, 6:30 p.m.

*NAMI Family-to-Family
Tuesday September 19, 7:00 p.m.

The Family-to-Family Education Program is a free, 12-week course for family members of individuals with mental illnesses. Run by the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) the course is taught by trained family members. The course includes:

-Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse.

-Focusing on care for the caregiver; coping with worry, stress, and overload.

-Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community.

The course will be held at First Parish in Concord, on Tuesdays from 6:30 to 9:00 p.m., September 19 through December 5. To register or for more information contact Clare Cooper at cco...@westfordconsulting.com or 978-692-8994. Visit www.nami.org for information on this program and information on mental illness.

*Amnesty International
Tuesday September 19, 7:00 p.m.

First on the agenda is to sign letters to support human rights activists determined by Amnesty/USA to be “urgent” cases. A new undertaking will be to map out a plan to address the refugee/asylum crisis. Ongoing projects include Massachusetts prison reform, death penalty abolition, the prevention of violence against women worldwide, and the freeing of two Azerbaijanian student activists. All are welcome to join us. For more information, contact Nancy Lyons, njly...@gmail.com, or 978-369-6109.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday September 20, 9:30 a.m.

*WPA Luncheon Program
Wednesday September 20, 11:30 a.m.

It’s time to celebrate First Parish’s Amazing Women’s Groups and all that they do to bring knowledge, peace, justice, beauty, joy, and comfort to our world.The Women’s Parish Association cordially invites you to its Celebratory Luncheon Program and Annual Meeting where we can reflect briefly upon past accomplishments and learn about interesting and important coming events of all the Women’s Groups of First Parish. Join old and new friends over a delicious lunch for a fun and informative time. Luncheon cost: $12.00. Contact the office at 978-369-9602 or Dian Pekin at pek...@comcast.net by September 16 to make reservations. All are welcome!

*Adult Choir Rehearsal
Wednesday September 20, 7:45 p.m.

*Guided Tour and Gallery Talk at the Walden Woods Project's Thoreau Institute Library
Thursday September 21, 11:00 a.m., 44 Baker Farm Road, Lincoln, MA 01733

Join us for a session with the Walden Woods Project’s Curator of Collections, author and Thoreau scholar, Jeffrey S. Cramer, in the Thoreau Institute Library, a beautiful, state-of-the-art facility. The library maintains the most comprehensive body of Thoreau-related material available in one place. Mr. Cramer will discuss Thoreau’s life and writings as they relate to historical items on display in the library. Come with your questions and comments, to spark discussion! Limited to 20. Carpooling is recommended, due to limited parking. Free of charge, but pre-registration is necessary. Contact Dianne Weiss at dianne...@comcast.net.

*Membership Committee Meeting
Thursday September 21, 7:00 p.m.

*By Your Side Singers
Thursday September 21, 7:30 p.m.
By Your Side Singers First Parish’s pastorachoir. Through singing, we offer a musical presence to people seeking comfort and support during times of illness or transition. In our twice monthly meetings we sing gentle songs and chants from our hymnals and other sources. In singing meditation we provide gentle support and comfort to one another. When invited, we visit parishioners’ homes in groups of 3 or 4 singers.

*Buddhist Group
Thursday September 21, 7:30 p.m.

*Spiritual Audacity Book Launch
Friday September 22, 7:00 p.m.

Why do some people flourish in adversity and others do not? Jim Sherblom’s spiritual memoir Spiritual Audacity: Six Disciplines of Human Flourishing addresses this question from a Unitarian Universalist perspective. Please plan to come to church to help celebrate the publication release and book signing of this new UU book. There will be drinks and snacks served as well as readings from Jim’s book. All are welcome! Contact Rev. Jim Sherblom at jimsh...@gmail.com or 781-439-4806.

*Rise Up Singing
Friday September 22, 7:30 p.m.

First Parish’s monthly song circle. Singers and instrumentalists of all ages are welcome at this fun and informal evening of shared music making. Bring copies of Rise Up Singing and Rise Again if you have them. Copies will be available for those who don’t. We will pass the hat for a free-will donation to cover the cost of the room and a sexton.

*Discussion On The 7.5% to Social Action
Saturday September 23, 10:00 a.m.

Do you want First Parish to continue allocating 7.5 percent of its annual pledges to fund Social Action grants and our Social Action coordinator? The congregation will vote at the June 2018 Annual Meeting to reaffirm, revise, or revoke this commitment. Throughout this church year, the SC will facilitate a congregation-wide exploration of this policy so you can learn more about the pros and cons.

*Chalice Choir Rehearsal
 Sunday September 24, 9:00 a.m.

*Gospel Choir Rehearsal
 Sunday September 24, 9:00 a.m.

*Sunday Service in the Sanctuary

 Sunday September 24, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Howard Dana: "How Are We Redeemed?"
Music: First Parish Choir

*Junior Choir Rehearsal
 Sunday September 24, 11:30 a.m.

*Transylvania Pilgrimage Session
 Sunday September 24, 11:30 a.m.

The Partner Congregation Committee (PCC) and Rev. Amy Freedman are excited to announce that the April 2018 Transylvanian multigenerational pilgrimage to our partner congregation in Székelykeresztúr leaves either Thursday or Friday, April 12 or 13, and returns Monday, April 23. This multigenerational pilgrimage is open to all congregation members, individuals and families alike. There is still time to register. The cost will be $1,800 - $2,200 per person (largely driven by airfares). Scholarship assistance is available by contacting Rev. Amy Freedman. Come join Howard, Beth, Amy, Dawn, and 14 other adults, youth, and children who have already signed up. To learn more, please join us at the informational meeting. If you are interested or have questions, please contact Lillian Anderson, lilli...@comcast.net, or Rev. Amy Freedman, afre...@firstparish.org

*Contemporary Vocal Ensemble
 Sunday September 24, 12:15 p.m.