First Parish Calendar This Week/Next Week (October 24-November 6)

FirstParishInConcord

Oct 24, 2016, 11:03:38 AM10/24/16
to Firstparis...@googlegroups.com

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =

CALENDAR AT A GLANCE

Monday October 24
   7:30 p.m., Women's Book Group
Tuesday October 25
   9:30 a.m., Women's Book Group
   7:00 p.m., An Evening with Shujaa Graham, Death Penalty Exoneree and Criminal Justice Activist
   6:30 p.m., Tai Chi
Wednesday October 26
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   10:00 a.m., Drop-In Small Group Ministry
   5:45 p.m., The Conchords Rehearsal
   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir
Thursday October 27
   6:30 p.m., Race Conversations Group
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
Friday October 28
   7:00 p.m., Climate Solutions Event
   7:30 p.m., Rise Up Singing
Saturday October 29
   9:00 a.m., What We Sing is Who We Are
Sunday October 30
   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Worship
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir
   11:30 a.m., Sunday Forum in the Parlor
   12:00 p.m., The Conchords Meeting

Monday October 31

   7:30 a.m., Finance Committee Meeting

   1:00 p.m., Pastoral Care Council

Tuesday November 1

   9:30 a.m., WPA Board Meeting

   1:30 p.m., First Tuesday Group

   3:00 p.m., Tuesday Group Steering Committee Meeting

   6:30 p.m., Tai Chi

   7:30 p.m., RE Council Meeting

Wednesday November 2

   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group

   9:30 a.m., WPA Baking Workshop

   5:45 p.m., The Conchords' Rehearsal

   6:00 p.m., Arts Council Meeting

   7:00 p.m., Concord Area Humanists

   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir

Thursday November 3

   7:30 p.m., By Your Side Singers

   7:30 p.m., Forum Committee Meeting

   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group

Saturday November 5

   9:00 a.m., WPA Artisan Fair

Sunday November 6

   Daylight Savings, Set Clocks Back One Hour

   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Worship

   11:00 a.m., WPA Boutique Sale
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir
   11:30 a.m., Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary

   11:30 a.m., Congregational Conversation About Finances

   11:30 a.m., Environmental Leadership Meeting

   11:30 a.m., Mother/Daughter Book Group

   12:15 p.m., Contemporary Vocal Ensemble

   7:00 p.m., Sarasa Concert

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
THIS WEEK (October 24-30)

*Women's Book Group
Monday October 24, 7:30 p.m.

For October, the Women's Book Group will be reading The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History, by Elizabeth Kolbert. All women of First Parish are warmly invited to read the current book and join a discussion-there's no need to sign up! If you would like to be added to the Women's Book Group email list, please contact Darien Smith at dar...@smithquest.com

*Women's Book Group
Tuesday October 25, 9:30 a.m.

*An Evening with Shujaa Graham, Death Penalty Exoneree and Criminal Justice Activist
Tuesday October 25, 7:00 p.m.
Amnesty International Group 15 is sponsoring Shujaa Graham, an exonerated death row inmate and criminal justice activist. Shujaa will speak about his experience on death row at San Quentin State Prison in California. He will give us a deep, intimate look at the death penalty in the United States and help us understand how we can move toward its abolition. Since 1999, Shujaa has traveled around the country sharing his story, working for criminal justice reform and racial equality, and reaching out to young people. Doors open at 7:00; refreshments will be available. For more information, contact Kathy Taylor at amnesty...@gmail.com or 781-718-7640.

*Tai Chi

Tuesday October 25, 6:30 p.m.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday October 26, 9:30 a.m.

Come explore Buddhism with us Wednesdays from 9:30-11:00 a.m. (or Thursdays from 7:30-9:00 p.m.). Even if you have no previous experience with Buddhism, consider joining one of these groups. A typical session usually starts with some chanting and meditation to help us calm our minds and focus our thoughts. Then, after a brief reading or lecture, we discuss how to apply what we have learned to our daily lives. Questions are always welcome. We are a friendly, welcoming group. Check out a session or two.

*Small Drop-In Group Ministry

Wednesday October 26, 10:00 a.m.

Jan Hutslar, Ministerial Intern, will facilitate a series of Drop-in Small Group Ministry sessions in the Brooks Room.  Come and explore a topic of meaning as we hear one another’s stories and experiences, and get to know a few others better. No need to sign up, just show up!  Attend as many or as few of these 4 sessions as you wish. Questions? Contact Rev. Marion Visel at mvi...@firstparish.org or cell 203-931-5239.

*The Conchords Rehearsal
Wednesday October 26, 5:45 p.m.

*Adult Choir
Wednesday October 26, 7:45 p.m.

*Race Conversations Group
Thursday October 27, 6:30 p.m.
All are welcome to join the conversation and the planning for increasing our knowledge about and addressing the issues of racial (in)justice at our next meeting. Contact Margie King Saphier at mksa...@comcast.net and CC King at ccking.i...@gmail.com

*Buddhist Group
Thursday October 27, 7:30 p.m.

*Climate Solutions Event: Is Civil Disobedience Justified on Climate Change? An Evening with Tim DeChristopher
Friday October 28, 7:00 p.m.
Renowned climate activist Tim DeChristopher will speak about the role of civil disobedience in the fight against climate change. Tim’s courageous personal experience serving two years in prison for climate civil disobedience is featured in the 2012 documentary Bidder 70. A Unitarian Universalist, Tim co-founded the Climate Disobedience Center and is now a student at Harvard Divinity School. This special evening is enthusiastically recommended by our Environmental Leadership Team,and is organized by The Climate Solutions Speaker Series, a coalition of local organizations including First Parish. For questions, please contact Bob Andrews, bob.an...@verizon.net.

*Rise Up Singing
Friday October 28, 7:00 p.m.
First Parish’s monthly song circle. Singers and instrumentalists of all ages are welcome at this fun and informal evening of shared music making. Bring copies of Rise Up Singing and Rise Again if you have them. Copies will be available for those who don’t. We will pass the hat for a free-will donation to cover the cost of the room and a sexton.

*What We Sing is Who We Are
Saturday October 29, 9:00 a.m.
A congregational singing workshop with Rev. Jason Shelton. Sponsored by New England Region UUA. This workshop is for anyone who believes in the future of Unitarian Universalism, but will be especially appreciated by music directors, choir members, clergy, and anyone else who loves to sing. No experience necessary! Vibrant congregational singing is a sure sign of a healthy, thriving church. Why? Because congregations that sing with vitality are congregations that know who and why they are. Revitalizing congregational singing is one of the best growth strategies available and it’s easier to do than you might think. After exploring the treasure trove of hymnody at our fingertips, we’ll open the doors for a robust Community Sing where we can put our new tools to work. For more information and to register, visit https://www.eventbrite.com/e/what-wesing-is-who-we-are-10292016-registration-27585351529

*Chalice Choir
Sunday October 30, 9:00 a.m.

*Gospel Choir
Sunday October 30, 9:00 a.m.

*Sunday Worship
Sunday October 30, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Jason Shelton and Rev. Howard Dana: “A Faith Worth Singing About”
Music: First Parish Choir and Gospel Singers

*Junior Choir
Sunday October 30, 11:30 a.m.

*Sunday Forum in the Parlor
Sunday October 30, 11:30 a.m.
“Paintings and Sculptures." Barbara Forman and Daniel Altshuler will guide us through the paintings of Ezra Ripley and E.W. Rogers, along with the busts of Dana Greeley, H.D. Thoreau, and R.W. Emerson.

*The Conchords Meeting
Sunday October 30 12:00 p.m.

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
NEXT WEEK (October 31-November 6)

*Finance Committee Meeting

Monday October 31, 7:30 a.m.

*Pastoral Care Council

Monday October 31, 1:00 p.m.

*WPA Board Meeting

Tuesday November 1, 9:30 a.m.

*First Tuesday Group

Tuesday November 1, 1:30 p.m.

"Volunteering: What and Why." Five First Parish members will speak about volunteer experiences they have had since retiring and what they did or do, why they chose it, and what satisfactions they have found in it. Speakers are John Lang, formerly from Analog Devices, volunteering at Household Goods Recycling Ministry; Margie King Saphier, U.U. minister supporting the Louis D. Brown Peace Institute; Sue Dobbie, former hospice nurse volunteering at the Nature Conservancy; Richard Fortier, engineer and developer of medical devices, now at the Restoration Project; Anne Gibbs, former psychiatric nurse, now at Jumpstart Come prepared to share your own experiences in a small group! For more information, contact Virginia Taylor, virginiar...@verizon.net or 978-263-9777

*Tuesday Group Steering Committee Meeting

Tuesday November 1, 3:00 p.m.

*Tai Chi

Tuesday November 1, 6:30 p.m.

*RE Council Meeting

Tuesday November 1, 7:30 p.m.

*Buddhist Group

Wednesday November 2, 9:30 a.m.

*WPA Baking Workshop

Wednesday November 2, 9:30 a.m.

*The Conchords' Rehearsal

Wednesday November 2, 5:45 p.m.

*Arts Council Meeting

Wednesday November 2, 6:00 p.m.

Each month the First Parish Arts Council will highlight arts events in the upcoming month that offer opportunities to participate in the ministry of the arts at First Parish. Questions may be directed to mu...@firstparish.org

*Concord Area Humanists

Wednesday November 2, 7:00 p.m.

We bring outside speakers to share interesting Humanistic topics. We socialize and enjoy refreshments, continue with the presentation, and follow with vigorous discussion. For more details, visit www.ConcordAreaHumanists.org. For questions, contact Pat Everett, chair, at p...@aol.com

*Adult Choir

Wednesday November 2, 7:45 p.m.

*By Your Side Singers

Thursday November 3, 7:30 p.m.
By Your Side Singers is First Parish’s pastoral choir. Through singing, we offer a musical presence to people seeking comfort and support during times of illness or transition. In our twice monthly meetings we sing gentle songs and chants from our hymnals and other sources. In singing meditation we provide gentle support and comfort to one another. When invited, we visit parishioners’ homes in groups of 3 or 4 singers.

*Forum Committee Meeting

Thursday November 3, 7:30 p.m.

*Buddhist Group

Thursday November 3 7:30 p.m.

*WPA Artisan Fair

Saturday November 5, 9:00 a.m.

Don't forget to come to our annual Holiday Artisans Fair! Over 40 outstanding artists and artisans will be selling their latest handmade items. Cafe open all day. Great browsing, shopping, and socializing! Bring family members, neighbors & friends! Great door prize and raffle items! Our WPA Boutique at the fair is looking for donations of handmade items, as well as high-quality, like-new, special regifting general items, as well as jewelry and nice accessories. Contact Marilyn Lowitt at marilyn...@verizon.net, or 978-793-0267 for questions and to arrange for collection of your donations. Entrance Fee is $3.00 for adults; $1.00 for children. Children under 6 years old have no charge.

*Daylight Savings, Set Clocks Back One Hour

Sunday November 6, All Day

*Chalice Choir

Sunday November 6, 9:00 a.m.

*Gospel Choir

Sunday November 6, 9:00 a.m.

*Sunday Worship
Sunday November 6, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Marion Visel: “All Souls Day”
Music: First Parish Choir

*WPA Boutique Sale

Sunday November 6, 11:00 a.m.

*Junior Choir
Sunday November 6, 11:30 a.m.

*Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary

Sunday November 6, 11:30 a.m.

"Our International Connections." Rodger Mattlage and Peter Mitchell will run this next-to-last Forum in our special series. “Let us open our eyes to see what is beautiful” highlights the history and heritage of the objects hanging on the walls of First Parish. Peter Mitchell will discuss the considerable difficulties faced by early ministers Peter Bulkeley and John Jones in their relations with church authorities in Odell, England.

*Congregational Conversation About Finances

Sunday November 6, 11:30 a.m.

Come join the Finance Committee for a conversation about the First Parish financials and more. We'll review the results from last year, and how we translated our priorities into our budget. And, we want to discuss three important topics with you: Priorities for 2017-2018, initial plans for the First Parish Legacy Giving Program, and how to make the annual pledge campaign simpler, more meaningful, and more efficient We would appreciate your thoughts and ideas on these topics. Come to one or both of the scheduled meetings. Contact Tom Wilson, Treasurer, if you have any questions at twi...@wilsongorup.com

*Environmental Leadership Meeting

Sunday November 6, 11:30 a.m.

*Mother/Daughter Book Group

Sunday November 6, 11:30 a.m.

*Contemporary Vocal Ensemble

Sunday November 6, 12:15 p.m.

*Sarasa Concert

Sunday November 6, 7:00 p.m.

EVERY WEEK
* Buddhist Group
Every Wednesday at 9:30 a.m.
Every Thursday at 7:30 p.m.
Come explore Buddhism with us Wednesdays from 9:30-11:00 a.m. (or Thursdays from 7:30-9:00 p.m.). Even if you have no previous experience with Buddhism, consider joining one of these groups. A typical session usually starts with some chanting and meditation to help us calm our minds and focus our thoughts. Then, after a brief reading or lecture, we discuss how to apply what we have learned to our daily lives. Questions are always welcome. We are a friendly, welcoming group. Check out a session or two.

If a link above does not connect you to the target page, please copy and paste the link into your browser’s address bar.