First Parish Calendar This Week/Next Week (March 27-April 9)

FirstParishinConcord

Mar 27, 2017, 1:30:29 PM3/27/17
to firstparis...@googlegroups.com

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
CALENDAR AT A GLANCE
Monday March 27
   5:00 p.m., Grub's Place Rehearsal
   7:30 p.m., Women's Book Group
Tuesday March 28
   9:30 a.m., Women's Book Group
   6:30 p.m., T'ai Chi
Wednesday March 29
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   5:00 p.m., Grub's Place Dress Rehearsal
   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir
Thursday March 30
   7:30 p.m., Grub's Place Rehearsal
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
Friday March 31
   7:30 p.m., Grub's Place Performance
Saturday April 1
   8:30 a.m., Healthy Board Training
   9:30 a.m., April History Hikes with Rev. Howard Dana
   5:00 p.m., Grub's Place Performance
Sunday April 2
   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Worship
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir
   11:30 a.m., Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
   11:30 a.m., Mother/Daughter Book Group
   12:15 a.m., Contemporary Vocal Ensemble
   7:00 p.m., "Be the Chance" Small Group Ministry
Monday April 3
   1:00 p.m., Caregivers Support Group
   7:00 p.m., Immigration Justice Task Force
  7:30 p.m., "What Moves Us"
Tuesday April 4
   1:30 p.m., "First Tuesday Group"
   6:30 p.m., T'ai Chi
Wednesday April 5
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   10:00 a.m., Small Group Ministry
   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir
Thursday April 6
   7:30 p.m., By Your Side Singers
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
   7:30 p.m., Grub's Place Rehearsal
Friday April 7
   7:30 p.m., Grub's Place Performance
Saturday April 8
   8:30 a.m., Healthy Board Training
   9:30 a.m., Photo Club
   7:30 p.m., Grub's Place Performance
Sunday April 9
   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Worship
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir
   11:30 a.m., Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
   12:15 a.m., Contemporary Vocal Ensemble
   6:00 p.m., Standing Committee Meeting

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
THIS WEEK (March 27-April 2)
*Grub's Place Rehearsal
Monday March 27, 5:00 p.m.

*Women's Book Group
Monday March 27, 7:30 p.m.
The Women's Book Group selection for March is "Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of an American Family," by Amy Ellis Nut. All women of First Parish are warmly invited to read the book and join a discussion-there is no need to sign up! If you would like to be added to the Women's Book Group email list, please contact Darien Smith at dar...@smithquest.com

*Women's Book Group
Tuesday March 28, 9:30 a.m.

*T'ai Chi
Tuesday March 28, 6:30 p.m.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday March 29, 9:30 a.m.
Come explore Buddhism with us Wednesdays from 9:30-11:00 a.m. (or Thursdays from 7:30-9:00 p.m.). Even if you have no previous experience with Buddhism, consider joining one of these groups. A typical session usually starts with some chanting and meditation to help us calm our minds and focus our thoughts. Then, after a brief reading or lecture, we discuss how to apply what we have learned to our daily lives. Questions are always welcome. We are a friendly, welcoming group. Check out a session or two. Contact Bill Seaver at Bill....@gmail.com.

*Grub's Place Dress Rehearsal
Wednesday March 29, 5:00 p.m.

*Adult Choir
Wednesday March 29, 7:45 p.m.

*Grub's Place Rehearsal
Thursday March 30, 7:30 p.m.
“Grub’s Place,” a new musical, is written and composed by Jane Blumberg, directed by Francene Amari, and produced by Claudia Nimar. This intergenerational musical is set in an ant colony. Grub (played by Terry Rothermel) creates a spot for everyone, commanding compassion rather than conformity. Turf battles, jealous hearts, death, and prejudice threaten the colony’s survival. If you have questions, contact director Francene Amari at franc...@gmail.com.

*Buddhist Group

Thursday March 30, 7:30 p.m.

*Grub's Place Performance
Friday March 31, 7:30 p.m.
Performances of "Grub's Place" will be on March 31, and April 1, 7, and 8. Tickets ($20.00 adults, $10 students) can be purchased at coffee hour and the church office, at 978-369-9602, or online at this website (www.mktix.com/fpuuc).

*Healthy Board Training
Saturday April 1, 8:30 a.m.
Meet your mission by helping a non-profit meet theirs! Are you a strategic thinker? A skilled facilitator? Interested in sharing your board experience with another non-profit? This is for you! Fpcu Social Action Committee and the Jericho Road Project have teamed up to provide this free orientation series over the next month. Bring a friend to one of these meetings: April 1-Strategic Revenue Generation and April 8-Healthy Board facilitation skills. See the flyer in the lower level for details or contact Daniel Bush at Db...@jerichoroadproject.org

*April History Hikes with Rev. Howard Dana
Saturday April 1, 9:30 a.m.
This is a series of April walks in and around historic Unitarian and Universalist sites. No sign-up needed. Suitable for adults and children. Participants must be able to walk at a reasonable pace for 1 to 2 miles on flat ground. For each outing, we will carpool from First Parish in Concord at 9:30 a.m. All hikes will end by 2:00 p.m. for our return to Concord. If you wish to meet us at the hike, you are welcome to do so. All are welcome. The first hike will be Concord Center on Saturday, April 1. This walking tour of Concord Center will end with a visit to the Concord Museum.  $8 entrance fee required.  Picnic lunch at First Parish—bring your own bag lunch.

*Grub's Place Performance
Saturday April 1, 5:00 p.m.

*Chalice Choir
Sunday April 2, 9:00 a.m.

*Gospel Choir
Sunday April 2, 9:00 a.m.

*Sunday Worship
Sunday April 2, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Marion Visel: "The Divine Trickster"
Music: First Parish Choir

*Junior Choir
Sunday April 2, 11:30 a.m.

*Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
Sunday April 2, 11:30 a.m.
"The Invisible Crisis – Forced Migration" with speaker Patricia Montes, Executive Director of Centro Presente. Meet one of the women who fled to the United States with her children. Watch a short documentary of women migrants fleeing violence, abuses, and social instability. They come to the United States to survive and to save their children. Yet, upon arrival, they again see their human rights abused by a system that fails to recognize their plight and humanity. Until now their stories have been invisible. Join the conversation. Google “Centro Presente" for more. Enjoy these forums and join our Forum Committee to help keep them coming. For more information, contact chair, Pat Everett, at p...@aol.com or 978-369-1589.

*Mother/Daughter Book Group
Sunday April 2, 11:30 a.m.

*Contemporary Vocal Ensemble
Sunday April 2, 12:15 p.m.

"Be the Change" Small Group Ministry
Sunday April 2, 7:00 p.m.
We will gather to share our experiences and explore how to "be the change" in the world. This group is a response to the need for empowerment in the current socio-political climate. Regardless on where you stand on the issues, the need to stand up and be heard has never been so important. These sessions include meditations that help us create safe space and prepare us for the challenge of moving beyond it. Facilitated by Roselyn Romberg and Chuck McDonald. Groups are limited to 10 participants, so sign up quickly on the clipboard in the front office, or by contacting Rev. Marion Visel at mvi...@firstparish.org or 203-931-5239. Please provide your name, phone, and email address.

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
NEXT WEEK (March 27-April 2)
*Caregivers Support Group
Monday April 3, 1:00 p.m.
You may care for an aging parent (while also caring for your own children), disabled spouse, or a young or adult child with physical, mental, or addiction issues. Whether you provide direct care or oversee care at a distance with support, you can be a good caregiver without sacrificing yourself in the process. The group will determine a future meeting schedule. Facilitated by Marion Visel, Minister for Pastoral Care, and Diane Clapp, Pastoral Care Lay Minister. If you are interested but unable to attend this meeting, contact Marion Visel, mvi...@firstparish.org, or 203-931-5239 (cell).

*Immigration Justice Task Force
Monday April 3, 7:00 p.m.

*"What Moves Us"
Monday April 3, 7:30 p.m.
Join an adult education class that combines theology, history, and personal reflection. Explore what moves you. Transformation through direct personal experience is a major source of our Unitarian Universalist (UU) faith; yet we often stumble when trying to explain our UU theology to ourselves and to others. The “What Moves Us” program creates an adult faith journey for UU’s who want to explore what they have already experienced but have not been able to articulate – the spiritual power of our faith. Participants will explore their own theology. Ministerial Intern, Jan Hutslar, will facilitate three sessions of this UU Curriculum for Adults. Each session will focus on a UU forbear, naming the change of heart that moved them to new theological understanding in their liberal religious faith. All are welcome! For more information, visit “What Moves Us” on the UUA website, http://www.uua.org/re/tapestry/adults/movesus, or contact Jan Hutslar, jhut...@firstparish.org

*"First Tuesday Group"
Tuesday April 4, 1:30 p.m.
Members Linda Benua, Mary Clarke, and Nancy McJennett will present a summary of their research on housing choices in and near Concord, and describe a housing continuum that ranges from independent aging-in-place to fully-assisted living facilities. They will detail the many steps and innovative combinations of steps involved, with special attention paid to the financial arrangements for different choices. Come explore todays many housing options! Please come if you are interested. While our heading says 65+, please come if you are interested, whatever your age. For more information, contact Virginia Taylor, virginiar...@verizon.net or 978-263-9777

*T'ai Chi
Tuesday April 4, 6:30 p.m.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday April 5, 9:30 a.m.

*Small Group Ministry
Wednesday April 5, 10:00 a.m.

*Adult Choir
Wednesday April 5, 7:45 p.m.

*By Your Side Singers
Thursday April 6, 7:30 p.m.
By Your Side Singers First Parish’s pastoral choir. Through singing, we offer a musical presence to people seeking comfort and support during times of illness or transition. In our twice monthly meetings we sing gentle songs and chants from our hymnals and other sources. In singing meditation we provide gentle support and comfort to one another. When invited, we visit parishioners’ homes in groups of 3 or 4 singers.

*Buddhist Group
Thursday April 6, 7:30 p.m.

*Grub's Place Rehearsal
Thursday April 6, 7:30 p.m.

*Grub's Place Performance
Friday April 7, 7:30 p.m.

*Healthy Board Training
Saturday April 8, 8:30 a.m.

*Photo Club
Saturday April 8, 9:30 a.m.
We welcome new members 18 years and older of all skill levels; and meet on the second Saturday of each month, except in July and August, to share pictures and learn. We take field trips to locations near and far, and are planning a trip to Marthas Vineyard in the spring. We also have an Annual Photo Show at First Parish to display our work. We will have a table at coffee hour once a month. Stop by and well be happy to answer your questions, or email Susan Page, srpa...@gmail.com

*Grub's Place Performance
Saturday April 8, 7:30 p.m.

*Chalice Choir
Sunday April 9, 9:00 a.m.

*Gospel Choir
Sunday April 9, 9:00 a.m.

*Sunday Worship
Sunday April 9, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Howard Dana: "Palm Sunday"
Music: First Parish Choir

*Junior Choir
Sunday April 9, 11:30 a.m.

*Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
Sunday April 9, 11:30 a.m.
"Living the Seventh Principle: Activism to Protect the Planet". Speaker Hilary Clark's activism led her to the Healing Walk in Alberta, Canada, two summers ago. There, she joined hundreds of people, many from First Nations, protesting the extraction of oil from the tar sands and the far-reaching effects of this process on people and wildlife dependent on the Athabasca River. Hilary has organized multiple rallies on topics related to Climate Change and has led groups to climate rallies in D.C. and New York. Hilary grew up in Concord as the daughter of First Parish member Debbie Clark.

*Contemporary Vocal Ensemble
Sunday April 9, 12:15 p.m.

*Standing Committee Meeting
Sunday April 9, 6:00 p.m.
On March 12, the Standing Committee met in the Emerson Room to hear regular reports, as well as to discuss our evaluation practices and the upcoming Leadership Workshop. In addition, some members arrived early to hold an informal discussion on additional topics, such as how to foster conversation between people with diverse political opinions. We welcome anyone interested to attend our next meeting.