First Parish Calendar This Week/Next Week (October 9-22)

FirstParishinConcord

Oct 9, 2017, 1:12:31 PM10/9/17
to firstparis...@googlegroups.com

CALENDAR AT A GLANCE
Monday October 9
   7:00 p.m., Immigration Justice Task Force Meeting
Tuesday October 10
   2:00 p.m., Shawl Ministry
   4:00 p.m., Beginner Ukulele Class
   6:30 p.m., T'ai Chi
   7:00 p.m., NAMI Family to Family
Wednesday October 11
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir Rehearsal
Thursday October 12
   7:00 p.m., Race Conversations Group
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
Friday October 13
   12:30 p.m., T'ai Chi
Saturday October 14
   9:30 a.m., Photo Club
   6:30 p.m., Intergenerational Square Dance
Sunday October 15
   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir Rehearsal
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir Rehearsal
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Service in the Sanctuary
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir Rehearsal
   11:30 a.m., Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
   11:30 a.m., Transylvania Pilgrimage Meeting
   12:15 p.m., Contemporary Vocal Ensemble
   3:00 p.m., AWE Retreat
   6:00 p.m., Standing Committee
Monday October 16
   7:30 p.m., Thoreau as a Spiritual Guide
Tuesday October 17
   10:30 a.m., Small Group Ministry
   4:00 p.m., Beginner Ukulele Class
   6:30 p.m., T'ai Chi
   6:45 p.m., NAMI Family to Family
   7:00 p.m., Amnesty International
Wednesday October 18
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir Rehearsal
Thursday October 19
   7:00 p.m., Membership Committee Meeting
   7:00 p.m., Small Group Ministry
   7:30 p.m., By Your Side Singers
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
Friday October 20
   6:00 p.m., Jewish Awareness Affinity Group
   7:00 p.m., "Her Finer Instincts": The Women Who Influenced Thoreau
Saturday October 21
   10:00 a.m, SAC Intersectionality Conversation
   7:00 p.m., A Visit from Henry David Thoreau
Sunday October 22
   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir Rehearsal
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir Rehearsal
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Service in the Sanctuary
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir Rehearsal
   11:30 a.m., Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
   12:15 p.m., Contemporary Vocal Ensemble
   1:30 p.m., CROP Walk

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
THIS WEEK (October 9-15)

*Immigration Justice Task Force Meeting
Monday October 9, 7:00 p.m.

*Shawl Ministry
Tuesday October 10, 2:00 p.m.

*Beginner Ukulele Class
Tuesday October 10, 4:00 p.m.
The Ukulele is a wicked fun instrument to play and easy to learn! Join your Minister-In-Residence, Jo VonRue, for a fun beginners’ class that will move at a slow pace so that everyone can keep up and learn together.  This class is geared towards beginners, though all Ukulele lovers are welcome to join us! Please contact Jo VonRue at jvo...@firstparish.orgor 978-369-9602 ext 412 for questions, help and suggestions on purchasing a Ukulele of your own or to put your name in for an evening class.

*T'ai Chi
Tuesday October 10, 6:30 p.m.

*NAMI Family to Family
Tuesday October 10, 7:00 p.m.
The Family-to-Family Education Program is a free, 12-week course for family members of individuals with mental illnesses. Run by the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) the course is taught by trained family members. The course includes acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse, focusing on care for the caregiver; coping with worry, stress, and overload, and guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community. The course will be held at First Parish in Concord, on Tuesdays from 6:30 to 9:00 p.m., September 19 through December 5. To register or for more information contact Clare Cooper at cco...@westfordconsulting.com or 978-692-8994. Visit www.nami.org for information on this program and information on mental illness.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday October 11, 9:30 p.m.
Come explore Buddhism with us Wednesdays from 9:30-11:00 a.m. (or Thursdays from 7:30-9:00 p.m.). Even if you have no previous experience with Buddhism, consider joining one of these groups. A typical session usually starts with some chanting and meditation to help us calm our minds and focus our thoughts. Then, after a brief reading or lecture, we discuss how to apply what we have learned to our daily lives. Questions are always welcome. We are a friendly, welcoming group. Check out a session or two. Contact Bill Seaver at Bill....@gmail.com.

*Adult Choir Rehearsal
Wednesday October 11, 7:45 p.m.

*Race Conversations Group
Thursday October 12, 7:00 p.m.

*Buddhist Group
Thursday October 12, 7:30 p.m.

*T'ai Chi
Friday October 13, 12:30 p.m.

*Photo Club
Saturday October 14, 9:30 a.m.
The Photography Club welcomes new members who are eighteen years and older, of all skill levels.  We meet on the second Saturday of each month, except July and August, to share pictures and learn more about photography. We take field trips to interesting locations near and far, and are planning a trip to Martha’s Vineyard in the spring. Our Annual Photo Show this year is on April 30 at 3:00 p.m. at First Parish.  We will have a table at Coffee Hour once a month. Stop by and we’ll be happy to answer your questions or email Susan Page at srpa...@gmail.com.

*Intergenerational Square Dance
Saturday October 14, 6:30 p.m.
Save the date! Beth Parkes is back as our caller for an evening of dancing and music. Fantastic fun and so easy to learn, with plenty of time to socialize with new friends and old. Bring a finger food snack and drinks to share. All ages are welcome and no partner is necessary! To offset the cost of the caller, we're asking for a suggested donation of $5 per person, with a maximum of $20 per family. Saturday, October 14, 6:30-9:30 p.m., in the Parish Hall. RSVP's would be helpful, but are not required. Contact Kate Svrcek at kates...@hotmail.comSponsored by the Membership Committee.

*Chalice Choir Rehearsal
Sunday October 15, 9:00 a.m.

*Gospel Choir Rehearsal
Sunday October 15, 9:00 a.m.

*Sunday Service in the Sanctuary
Sunday October 15, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Howard N. Dana: "Humanism at One Hundred"
Music: First Parish Children's Choirs and Gospel Ensemble

*Junior Choir Rehearsal
Sunday October 15, 11:30 a.m.

*Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
Sunday October 15, 11:30 a.m.
"The Trustees and the Legacy Investment Fund."

Meet the Trustees. Learn what they do. Hear about the recently launched Legacy Giving Program. The Trustees of Parish Donations oversee the management of First Parish’s three million dollar Legacy Investment Fund and manage the ancillary buildings on the Church Green. Meet the new investment advisor to the Trustees, First Parish member George Gagliardi, and hear how the investment management approach to the fund has changed. Learn about the new Legacy Giving Program, which will over time help build the endowment and reduce annual fundraising pressures.

*Transylvania Pilgrimage Meeting
Sunday October 15, 11:30 a.m.

*Contemporary Vocal Ensemble
Sunday October 15, 12:15 p.m.

*AWE Retreat
Sunday October 15, 3:00 p.m.

Calling activists and feminists interested in women’s empowerment social justice initiatives! Join the Advocates for Women’s Empowerment at a reflective retreat on October 15 from 3:00 to 6:00 p.m. at First Parish. We’ll look back at what we've accomplished and look forward to where we are going. Contact Colleen Mischel at colleen...@gmail.com.

*Standing Committee
Sunday October 15, 6:00 p.m.

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
NEXT WEEK (October 16-22)
*Thoreau as a Spiritual Guide
Monday October 16, 7:30 p.m.
Rev. Marion Visel will facilitate a series of conversations focused on Thoreau’s classic, Walden. We will read it as a do-it-yourself guide to simple living, as we wrestle with the questions it raises for us personally.

*Small Group Ministry
Tuesday October 17, 10:30 a.m.
"Aging and Becoming."
We are all growing older all the time. This group will explore together questions such as: How are we changing spiritually as we age? What matters most to us now? Are your interests and expectations transforming, and are you able to embrace the new?  What is on your “spiritual bucket list”What fears and hopes do you have for this time of life? Co-facilitated byDana Snyder-Grant and Laura Bernstein. Limited to 9 participants.

*Beginner Ukulele Class
Tuesday October 17, 4:00 p.m.

*T'ai Chi
Tuesday October 17, 6:30 p.m.

*NAMI Family to Family
Tuesday October 17, 6:45 p.m.

*Amnesty International
Tuesday October 17, 7:00 p.m.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday October 18, 9:30 a.m.

*Adult Choir Rehearsal
Wednesday October 18, 7:45 p.m.

*Membership Committee Meeting
Thursday October 19, 7:00 p.m.

*Small Group Ministry
Thursday Octover 19, 7:00 p.m.
"Ourselves, Our Fate, Our Turbulent Times." (Six Sessions). We will share our stories as we draw from the UUA Small Group Ministry’s curriculum A Call to Faith in Turbulent Times.  Sessions include Call to Love, Call to Vision, Call to Imagination, and Call to Relationship.  These sessions were designed not for debate but to nurture, support, and strengthen Unitarian Universalists in this moment of significant societal challenges. The group will create a safe space to explore feelings regarding current events and will affirm our commitment to being in community.  We will ask ourselves:  how am I learning, how am I in relationship, how can I co-create change, and what do I need to sustain me as I work for change?  Specific focus topics include race and immigration.  Beginners to conversations about these topics are encouraged to attend. Co-facilitated by Merill Comeau and Zach Roe. Limited to 13 participants.

*By Your Side Singers
Thursday October 19, 7:30 p.m.
By Your Side Singers First Parish’s pastorachoir. Through singing, we offer a musical presence to people seeking comfort and support during times of illness or transition. In our twice monthly meetings we sing gentle songs and chants from our hymnals and other sources. In singing meditation we provide gentle support and comfort to one another. When invited, we visit parishioners’ homes in groups of 3 or 4 singers.

*Buddhist Group
Thursday October 19, 7:30 p.m.

*Jewish Awareness Affinity Group
Friday October 20, 6:00 p.m.
Come to the Jewish Awareness affinity group on Friday evening, October 20. Dana Snyder-Grant will help us explore Jewish meditation. How is it similar and different from other forms of meditation? How do Jewish teachings overlap with Buddhist teachings re: loving kindness and presence? Come learn together and even meditate a bit, if you wish. We’ll share challah, wine, blessings, and conversation. All are welcome. For more information, contact Dana SnyderGrant at dana.sny...@gmail.com or 978-760-1129

*"Her Finer Instincts": The Women Who Influenced Thoreau
Friday October 20, 7:00 p.m.
The Transcendentalism Council of First Parish in Concord and the WPA are delighted to bring this event to Concord. Thoreau isn’t known for flattering comments about women. Yet, during his life, he enjoyed close relations with many women of all ages, including his sisters Sophia and Helen Thoreau; his several aunts; the wives and daughters of friends, such as Lidian, Ellen, and Edith Emerson, and Louisa May Alcott; and elderly mentors like Mary Moody Emerson and Sarah Alden Bradford Ripley. From studies of natural history and philosophical readings, to antislavery activism and surrogate parenting, Thoreau’s friendship with these and other women was both profound and mutually inspiring. Everyone is cordially invited to attend this event to find out what Thoreau valued in these relationships and what these women said about his influential role in their lives and in their community. Suggested free will donation: $5 at the door. Reservations are not required, but are appreciated. Contact Dian Pekin at pek...@comcast.net by October 19. Prof. Petrulionis’s latest books will be available for sale throughout the evening.

*SAC Intersectionality Conversation
Saturday October 21, 10:00 a.m.

*A Visit from Henry David Thoreau
Saturday October 21, 7:00 p.m.

Encounter Henry David Thoreau, America's mid-19th century apostle of the wilderness, social critic, and political dissenter, on the eve of the Civil War. Hear Thoreau's writings come to life. New material from Thoreau's sublime essay, "Autumnal Tints," has been added especially for this performance. After his dramatic monologue, "Thoreau" will answer questions from the audience, followed by Prof. Radaker answering questions, as himself. A reception will follow the performance.

Radaker is Professor of English at Anderson University in Indiana, a Thoreau scholar, and accomplished actor. He has presented his portrayal of Thoreau over 400 times at colleges, libraries, conferences, museums, state and national parks. Co-sponsored by the Transcendentalism Council of First Parish, the Concord Museum, and The Thoreau Society. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for kids. For reservations, contact the Concord Museum at http://www.concordmuseum.org/concord-museum-event-registration.php. For information, call 978-369-9763, ext. 216

*Chalice Choir Rehearsal
Sunday October 22, 9:00 a.m.

*Gospel Choir Rehearsal
Sunday October 22, 9:00 a.m.

*Sunday Service in the Sanctuary
Sunday October 22, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Howard N. Dana: "Because I Could Not Stop for Death"
Music: Lincoln Ringers

*Junior Choir Rehearsal
Sunday October 22, 11:30 a.m.

*Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
Sunday October 22, 11:30 a.m.
"The Clover Foundation in Uganda." Clover supports the health and education of 71 children from impoverished families living in Kampala, Uganda. And, it provides Clover families a nano finance program to build their small businesses. Come hear from Peter Hilton and others who have visited Kampala about how Clover changes lives, the impact of a First Parish social action grant, and the potential partnering with First Parish children and teachers.

*Contemporary Vocal Ensemble
Sunday October 22, 12:15 p.m.

*CROP Walk
Sunday October 22, 1:30 p.m.
Lots of fun—join us for the 37th Annual Concord CROP Walk. We begin at First Parish. Registration and music by the CCHS Pep Band begins at 1:30 p.m. Funds raised go to support ten local food pantries and suppers, global disaster relief, refugee assistance, and development projects of Church World Service. Our Minister in Residence, Rev. Jo VonRue, will walk with the First Parish team. Please plan to sponsor her or walk with her. You may register to walk or make a donation sponsoring a walker through the CROP website at www.concordcrop.org. Contact Sara Ballard at sa...@sb.org with questions.