First Parish Calendar This Week/Next Week (March 20-April 2)

FirstParishinConcord

Mar 20, 2017, 4:54:28 PM3/20/17
to firstparis...@googlegroups.com

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
CALENDAR AT A GLANCE
Monday March 20
   7:30 p.m., "What Moves Us"
Tuesday March 21
   6:30 p.m., T'ai Chi
   7:00 p.m., Amnesty International Meeting
Wednesday March 22
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   10:00 a.m., Small Group Ministry
   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir
Thursday March 23
   6:30 p.m., Partner Church Community
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
Friday March 24
   6:30 p.m., Grub's Place Rehearsal
   7:30 p.m., Rise Up Singing
Saturday March 25
   8:30 a.m., Healthy Board Development
   10:00 a.m., Prayer Bead Workshop
Sunday March 26
   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Worship
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir
   11:30 a.m., Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
   12:30 p.m., Grub's Place Rehearsal
   7:00 p.m., Sarasa Concert
Monday March 27
   5:00 p.m., Grub's Place Rehearsal
   7:30 p.m., Women's Book Group
Tuesday March 28
   9:30 a.m., Women's Book Group
   6:30 p.m., T'ai Chi
Wednesday March 29
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   5:00 p.m., Grub's Place Dress Rehearsal
   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir
Thursday March 30
   7:30 p.m., Grub's Place Rehearsal
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
Friday March 31
   7:30 p.m., Grub's Place Performance
Saturday April 1
   8:30 a.m., Healthy Board Training
   9:30 a.m., April History Hikes with Rev. Howard Dana
   5:00 p.m., Grub's Place Performance
Sunday April 2
   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Worship
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir
   11:30 a.m., Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
   11:30 a.m., Mother/Daughter Book Group
   12:15 a.m., Contemporary Vocal Ensemble
   1:00 p.m., "Beyond the Wall" Film Screening
   7:00 p.m., "Be the Chance" Small Group Ministry
=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
THIS WEEK (March 20-26)
*"What Moves Us"
Monday March 20, 7:30 p.m.
Join an adult education class that combines theology, history, and personal reflection. Explore what moves you. Transformation through direct personal experience is a major source of our Unitarian Universalist (UU) faith; yet we often stumble when trying to explain our UU theology to ourselves and to others. The “What Moves Us” program creates an adult faith journey for UU’s who want to explore what they have already experienced but have not been able to articulate – the spiritual power of our faith. Participants will explore their own theology. Ministerial Intern, Jan Hutslar, will facilitate three sessions of this UU Curriculum for Adults. Each session will focus on a UU forbear, naming the change of heart that moved them to new theological understanding in their liberal religious faith. All are welcome! For more information, visit “What Moves Us” on the UUA website, http://www.uua.org/re/tapestry/adults/movesus, or contact Jan Hutslar, jhut...@firstparish.org

*T'ai Chi
Tuesday March 21, 6:30 p.m.

*Amnesty International Meeting
Tuesday March 21, 7:00 p.m.
In addition to writing letters supporting individuals who've been punished for peaceful human rights activities, we'll have updates on efforts to bring about prison reform, death penalty abolition, and the prevention of violence against women. We'll focus on strategies to free two young Azerbaijanian student activists, Giyas Ibrahimov and Bayram Mammadov, arrested in May on trumped-up charges of heroin possession. All are welcome to join us. For more information, contact Kathy Taylor at Kly.t...@gmail.com or 781-718-7640.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday March 22, 9:30 a.m.
Come explore Buddhism with us Wednesdays from 9:30-11:00 a.m. (or Thursdays from 7:30-9:00 p.m.). Even if you have no previous experience with Buddhism, consider joining one of these groups. A typical session usually starts with some chanting and meditation to help us calm our minds and focus our thoughts. Then, after a brief reading or lecture, we discuss how to apply what we have learned to our daily lives. Questions are always welcome. We are a friendly, welcoming group. Check out a session or two. Contact Bill Seaver at Bill....@gmail.com.

*Small Group Ministry
Wednesday March 22, 10:00 a.m.

*Adult Choir
Wednesday March 22, 7:45 p.m.

*Partner Church Community
Thursday March 23, 6:30 p.m.

*Buddhist Group
Thursday March 23, 7:30 p.m.

*Grub's Place Rehearsal
Friday March 24, 6:30 p.m.
“Grub’s Place,” a new musical, is written and composed by Jane Blumberg, directed by Francene Amari, and produced by Claudia Nimar. This intergenerational musical is set in an ant colony. Grub (played by Terry Rothermel) creates a spot for everyone, commanding compassion rather than conformity. Turf battles, jealous hearts, death, and prejudice threaten the colony’s survival. If you have questions, contact director Francene Amari at franc...@gmail.com.

*Rise Up Singing
Friday March 24, 7:30 p.m.
First Parish’s monthly song circle. Singers and instrumentalists of all ages are welcome at this fun and informal evening of shared music making. Bring copies of Rise Up Singing and Rise Again if you have them. Copies will be available for those who don’t. We will pass the hat for a free-will donation to cover the cost of the room and a sexton.

*Healthy Board Training
Saturday March 25, 8:30 a.m.
Meet your mission by helping a non-profit meet theirs! Are you a strategic thinker? A skilled facilitator? Interested in sharing your board experience with another non-profit? This is for you! Fpcu Social Action Committee and the Jericho Road Project have teamed up to provide this free orientation series over the next month. Bring a friend to one of these three meetings: March 25th-Fiduciary Responsibility, April 1-Strategic Revenue Generation, April 8-Healthy Board facilitation skills. See the flyer in the lower level for details or contact Daniel Bush at Db...@jerichoroadproject.org

*Prayer Bead Workshop
Saturday March 25, 10:00 a.m.
We will learn about different forms of prayers and will offer a practical approach based on a modern use of prayer beads, a practice that you can personalize. We will also each make our own Prayer Beads. Cofacilitators are Jan Hutslar, Ministerial Intern, Susan Dobbie, and Dana Snyder-Grant. There is a $10.00 fee for supplies. Please plan to pay in cash at the workshop. The group is limited to 16 participants, so it is recommended you sign up as soon as possible on the clipboard in the church office, or by contacting Susan Dobbie, susan...@gmail.com or 978-501-6969.

*Chalice Choir
Sunday March 26, 9:00 a.m.

*Gospel Choir
Sunday March 26, 9:00 a.m.

*Sunday Worship
Sunday March 26, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Howard Dana: "The Larger Thought of God"
Music: Lincoln Ringers

*Junior Choir
Sunday March 26, 11:30 a.m.

*Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
Sunday March 26, 11:30 a.m.
"LGBT Asylum Task Force" with Stephanie O'Donnell. Listen to stories of asylum seekers who had to flee for their lives from their countries because of sexual orientation/ gender identity. This task force strives to find resources for these seekers. It also aims to educate the public to change policy around the globe so that someday no LGBT person will need to seek asylum to be safe. See website the http://lgbtasylum.org/

*Grub's Place Rehearsal
Sunday March 26, 12:30 a.m.

*Sarasa Concert
Sunday March 26, 7:00 p.m.
The Music Events Committee presents another concert in this year’s Sarasa Chamber Music Series: Trainspotting. All aboard for Sarasa's special tour of train-inspired music in our March concert set, including works by 19th-century train enthusiast Antonin Dvorák and Steve Reich's very personal account of train travel in the 20th century.  Biber's wonderfully exuberant violin sonata No. 3 from the 1660s, composed some 100 years before trains were even invented, anticipates those very sounds we imagine when a locomotive chugs along its route. Tickets are available online or at the door. For information, contacts, and tickets, visit sarasamusic.org.

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
NEXT WEEK (March 27-April 2)
*Grub's Place Rehearsal
Monday March 27, 5:00 p.m.

*Women's Book Group
Monday March 27, 7:30 p.m.
The Women's Book Group selection for March is "Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of an American Family," by Amy Ellis Nut. All women of First Parish are warmly invited to read the book and join a discussion-there is no need to sign up! If you would like to be added to the Women's Book Group email list, please contact Darien Smith at dar...@smithquest.com

*Women's Book Group
Tuesday March 28, 9:30 a.m.

*T'ai Chi
Tuesday March 28, 6:30 p.m.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday March 29, 9:30 a.m.

*Grub's Place Dress Rehearsal
Wednesday March 29, 5:00 p.m.

*Adult Choir
Wednesday March 29, 7:45 p.m.

*Grub's Place Rehearsal
Thursday March 30, 7:30 p.m.

*Buddhist Group
Thursday March 30, 7:30 p.m.

*Grub's Place Performance
Friday March 31, 7:30 p.m.
Performances of "Grub's Place" will be on March 31, and April 1, 7, and 8. Tickets ($20.00 adults, $10 students) can be purchased at coffee hour and the church office, at 978-369-9602, or online at this website (www.mktix.com/fpuuc).

*Healthy Board Training
Saturday April 1, 8:30 a.m.

*April History Hikes with Rev. Howard Dana
Saturday April 1, 9:30 a.m.
This is a series of April walks in and around historic Unitarian and Universalist sites. No sign-up needed. Suitable for adults and children. Participants must be able to walk at a reasonable pace for 1 to 2 miles on flat ground. For each outing, we will carpool from First Parish in Concord at 9:30 a.m. All hikes will end by 2:00 p.m. for our return to Concord. If you wish to meet us at the hike, you are welcome to do so. All are welcome. The first hike will be Fruitlands on Saturday, April 1. We will travel to the 19th Century Unitarian utopian community just west of Concord. $5 entrance fee required.

*Grub's Place Performance
Saturday April 1, 5:00 p.m.

*Chalice Choir
Sunday April 2, 9:00 a.m.

*Gospel Choir
Sunday April 2, 9:00 a.m.

*Sunday Worship
Sunday April 2, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Marion Visel: "The Divine Trickster"
Music: TBD

*Junior Choir
Sunday April 2, 11:30 a.m.

*Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
Sunday April 2, 11:30 a.m.
"The Invisible Crisis – Forced Migration" with speaker Patricia Montes, Executive Director of Centro Presente. Meet one of the women who fled to the United States with her children. Watch a short documentary of women migrants fleeing violence, abuses, and social instability. They come to the United States to survive and to save their children. Yet, upon arrival, they again see their human rights abused by a system that fails to recognize their plight and humanity. Until now their stories have been invisible. Join the conversation. Google “Centro Presente" for more. Enjoy these forums and join our Forum Committee to help keep them coming. For more information, contact chair, Pat Everett, at p...@aol.com or 978-369-1589.

*Mother/Daughter Book Group
Sunday April 2, 11:30 a.m.

*Contemporary Vocal Ensemble
Sunday April 2, 12:15 p.m.

*"Beyond the Wall" Film Screening
Sunday April 2, 1:00 p.m.
Filmmaker Jenny Phillips screens her new powerful documentary, Beyond the Wall; discussion follows. Phillips work lays out the desperate situation of the flood of prisoners returning to our communities without guidance and support for transition to society. Set largely in Lowell and Lawrence, where once thriving textile mills have been replaced by poverty, crime and drug addiction, the film bears witness to personal stories of reentry, relapse, recovery and redemption. Phillips puts a human face on the social, economic, and emotional barriers encountered by former prisoners who are among our most discriminated citizens. For more information and to watch a synopsis/trailer visit https://beyondthewallfilm.com/. Contact Pat Simon at psimon...@gmail.com, or 781-373-1410.

"Be the Change" Small Group Ministry
Sunday April 2, 7:00 p.m.
We will gather to share our experiences and explore how to "be the change" in the world. This group is a response to the need for empowerment in the current socio-political climate. Regardless on where you stand on the issues, the need to stand up and be heard has never been so important. These sessions include meditations that help us create safe space and prepare us for the challenge of moving beyond it. Facilitated by Roselyn Romberg and Chuck McDonald. Groups are limited to 10 participants, so sign up quickly on the clipboard in the front office, or by contacting Rev. Marion Visel at mvi...@firstparish.org or 203-931-5239. Please provide your name, phone, and email address.