First Parish Calendar This Week/Next Week (February 20-March 5)

FirstParishinConcord

Feb 20, 2017, 7:56:54 PM2/20/17
to firstparis...@googlegroups.com

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
CALENDAR AT A GLANCE
Monday February 20
   All Day, President's Day
   7:00 p.m., Discussion of "The New Jim Crow"
Tuesday February 21
   6:30 p.m., T'ai Chi
   7:00 p.m., Amnesty International Meeting
Wednesday February 22
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   10:00 a.m., Small Group Ministry
   7:00 p.m., Discussion of "The New Jim Crow"
   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir
Thursday February 23
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
Friday February 24
   5:30 p.m., Grub's Place Rehearsal
   7:30 p.m., Rise Up Singing
Sunday February 26
   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Worship
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir
   11:30 a.m., Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
   4:00 p.m., Grub's Place Rehearsal
   7:15 p.m., Diversity Committee Film
Monday February 27
   6:00 p.m., Film Review of "Forks Over Knives"
   7:30 p.m., Women's Book Group
Tuesday February 28
   9:30 a.m., Women's Book Group
   6:30 p.m., T'ai Chi
Wednesday March 1
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir
Thursday March 2
   7:00 p.m., Race Conversations Group
   7:30 p.m., By Your Side Singers
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
Friday March 3
   9:00 a.m., World Day of Prayer
   5:30 p.m., Grub's Place Rehearsal
Saturday March 4
   9:00 a.m., Men's Spirituality Retreat
   6:00 p.m., LunaFest Fundraising and Film
Sunday March 5
   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Worship-Celebration Sunday
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir
   11:30 a.m., Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
   11:30 a.m., Discussion of "The New Jim Crow"
   11:30 a.m., Mother/Daughter Book Group
   11:30 a.m., Across the Kitchen Table: Families Divided by Politics Group
   4:00 p.m., Grub's Place Rehearsal
   5:00 p.m., "Be the Change" Small Group Ministry
=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
THIS WEEK (February 20-26)
*President's Day
Monday February 20, All Day

*Discussion of "The New Jim Crow"
Monday February 20, 7:00 p.m.
Read and discuss The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander, a devastating account of how the U.S. prison population grew from 300,000 in the 1970s to 2,300,000 in just 40 years – and the havoc that is wreaking.Obtain the book at coffee hour, then sign up for one of the discussion series:
1 Sunday remains at 11:30 a.m. on March 5
2 Mondays remain at 7:00 p.m. on February 20 and March 6
2 Wednesdays remain at 7:00 p.m. on February 22 and March 8
For the first meeting, read through p. 96. Questions? Contact Don Miller at donald...@comcast.net or 978-610-6298.

*T'ai Chi
Tuesday February 21, 6:30 p.m.

*Amnesty International Meeting
Tuesday February 21, 7:00 p.m.
In addition to writing letters supporting individuals who have been punished for peaceful human rights activities, we’ll have updates on efforts to bring about prison reform, death penalty abolition, and the prevention of violence against women. We’ll focus on strategies to free two young Azerbaijanian student activists, Giyas Ibrahimov and Bayram Mammadov, arrested in May on trumped-up charges of heroin possession. All are welcome to join us. For more information, contact Kathy Taylor at Kly.t...@gmail.com or 781-718-7640.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday February 22, 9:30 a.m.
Come explore Buddhism with us Wednesdays from 9:30-11:00 a.m. (or Thursdays from 7:30-9:00 p.m.). Even if you have no previous experience with Buddhism, consider joining one of these groups. A typical session usually starts with some chanting and meditation to help us calm our minds and focus our thoughts. Then, after a brief reading or lecture, we discuss how to apply what we have learned to our daily lives. Questions are always welcome. We are a friendly, welcoming group. Check out a session or two. Contact Bill Seaver at Bill....@gmail.com.

*Small Group Ministry
Wednesday February 22, 10:00 a.m.
"Topics of Meaning in Everyday Life." In-depth explorations of our experiences and beliefs that underlie topics of meaning in everyday life. Facilitated by Marian Stanley and Francie Nolde. Groups are limited to 10 participants, so it is recommended you sign up early. Sign up on the clipboard in the front office or contact Rev. Marion Visel, mvi...@firstparish.org or 203- 931-5239. Please provide your name, phone number, and email address.

*Discussion of "The New Jim Crow"
Wednesday February 22, 7:00 p.m.

*Adult Choir
Wednesday February 22, 7:45 p.m.

*Buddhist Group
Thursday February 23, 7:30 p.m.

*Grub's Place Rehearsal
Friday February 24, 5:30 p.m.
If you wish to get involved with “Grub’s Place” (on-stage or off) and thought you missed out or have not been contacted yet, please contact stage manager Rebecca Curzon at rebc...@gmail.com.  “Grub’s Place,” a new musical, is written and composed by Jane Blumberg, directed by Francene Amari, and produced by Claudia Nimar. This intergenerational musical is set in an ant colony. Grub (played by Terry Rothermel) creates a spot for everyone commanding compassion rather than conformity. Turf battles, jealous hearts, death, and prejudice threaten the colony’s survival. If you have questions, contact director Francene Amari at franc...@gmail.com.

*Rise Up Singing
Friday February 24, 7:30 p.m.
First Parish’s monthly song circle. Singers and instrumentalists of all ages are welcome at this fun and informal evening of shared music making. Bring copies of Rise Up Singing and Rise Again if you have them. Copies will be available for those who don’t. We will pass the hat for a free-will donation to cover the cost of the room and a sexton.

*Chalice Choir
Sunday February 26, 9:00 a.m.

*Gospel Choir
Sunday February 26, 9:00 a.m.

*Sunday Worship
Sunday February 26, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Howard Dana: "Seeing It as Sin"
Music: Contemporary Vocal Ensemble

*Junior Choir
Sunday February 26, 11:30 a.m.

*Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
Sunday February 26, 11:30 a.m.
"Restorative Justice" with Margot Fleischman, Di Clymer, and John Cratsley. Three members of the Board of Directors of Communities for Restorative Justice (C4RJ) will discuss the work of this local nonprofit partnership of community members and police departments involving victims and offenders in the wake of crime. C4RJ provides a circle process run by volunteer facilitators, by which victims are heard and understood, offenders take responsibility for harm, and family and community members offer support—all in an effort to prevent the matter from ever being presented in court.

*Contemporary Vocal Ensemble
Sunday February 26, 12:15 p.m.

*Grub's Place Rehearsal
Sunday February 26, 4:00 p.m.

*Diversity Committee Film Part Two
Sunday February 26, 7:15 p.m.
We continue with parts two of this three-part PBS documentary (part one was shown in January). A short discussion will follow each showing. This series examines the science that challenges our assumptions about race, the history of how artificial racial distinctions were adopted, and the ways that politics, economics, and culture define “race.” We’ll gather for socializing and refreshments at 7:15 p.m. and start each screening at 7:30 p.m., promptly. No admission charge. For more information, contact Sara Ballard at 978-371-0723 or sa...@sb.org (email preferred).

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
NEXT WEEK (February 27-March 5)
*Film Review of "Forks Over Knives"
Monday February 27, 6:00 p.m.
Please join us for the film "Forks Over Knives." The movie examines the profound claim that many degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting our present menu of animal-based and processed foods. The film traces the personal journeys of a pair of pioneering researchers, Dr. T. Colin Campbell and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn.  The event is free and includes supper. Supper starts at 6:00 p.m., and the film starts at 7:00 p.m. For more information, please contact Lyell Slade, lls...@netscape.net or 978-369-0636.

*Women's Book Group
Monday February 27, 7:30 p.m.
The Women’s Book Group selection for February is Brooklyn, by Colm Tóibín. All women of First Parish are warmly invited to read the book and join a discussion—there’s no need to sign up! If you would like to be added to the Women’s Book Group email list, please contact Darien Smith at dar...@smithquest.com

*Women's Book Group
Tuesday February 28, 9:30 a.m.

*T'ai Chi
Tuesday February 28, 6:30 p.m.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday March 1, 9:30 a.m.

*Adult Choir
Wednesday March 1, 7:45 p.m.

*Race Conversations Group
Thursday March 2, 7:00 p.m.

*By Your Side Singers
Thursday March 2, 7:30 p.m.
By Your Side Singers is First Parish’s pastoral choir. Through singing, we offer a musical presence to people seeking comfort and support during times of illness or transition. In our twice monthly meetings we sing gentle songs and chants from our hymnals and other sources. In singing meditation we provide gentle support and comfort to one another. When invited, we visit parishioners’ homes in groups of 3 or 4 singers.

*Buddhist Group
Thursday March 2, 7:30 p.m.

*World Day of Prayer
Friday March 3, 11:00 a.m.
First Parish will be hosting Concord’s commemoration of the 2017 World Day of Prayer. Women of the Philippines wrote this year’s prayer service, which reminds people of social and economic justice needs in their country and elsewhere. Since the early 1800’s, women all over the world have held the World Day of Prayer Service on the first Friday in March. Continuing this annual event will be hundreds of thousands of women in over 170 countries, engaging in informed prayers and prayerful actions to diminish injustices suffered by women and children around the world. Join Concord’s commemoration for an inspiring experience.

*Grub's Place Rehearsal
Friday March 3, 5:30 p.m.

*Men's Spirituality Retreat
Saturday March 4, 9:00 a.m.
All men of First Parish in Concord are invited to participate in a men’s spirituality retreat with Rev. Howard N. Dana and Jeff Canon. Together we will explore the theme of “Purpose and Usefulness” through worship, journaling, small groups, and spiritual practices. The purpose of the retreat is to bring a greater awareness of our own spiritual lives and spiritual practices.

*LunaFest Fundraising and Film
Saturday March 4, 6:30 p.m.
Join us for a fundraising film festival by, for, and about women, to benefit the Breast Cancer Fund and the Massachusetts Chapter of American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Women’s Rights project. This year’s show includes 9 juried short films from around the world. Come view inspiring films that tackle issues such as refugee youth, reproductive health, culture differences, childcare, incarceration, humor, & relationships. The films contain mature subject matter (language, content- conversations about violence, abortion, sex) and is therefore rated PG-13 for this event. The evening will include a cash bar and 50/50 raffle. Purchase tickets for $15 online at http://www.lunafest.org/concord0304 or at the door. This event is sponsored by Advocates for Women’s Empowerment. For more info, contact Lora Venesy at ven...@comcast.net.

*Chalice Choir
Sunday March 5, 9:00 a.m.

*Gospel Choir
Sunday March 5, 9:00 a.m.

*
Sunday Worship
Sunday March 5, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Howard Dana: “Celebration Sunday”
Music: Combined Choirs

*Junior Choir
Sunday March 5, 11:30 a.m.

*Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
Sunday March 5, 11:30 a.m.
“The Future of Nuclear Energy” with speaker Prof. Anne White of MIT. Is nuclear fusion a solution to our energy needs? Is there an environmentally sound way to tap an enormous source of power? What are the recent advances that may make it feasible? For more information on any Forum, contact the chair, Pat Everett, at p...@aol.com or 978-369-1589

*
Discussion of "The New Jim Crow"
Sunday March 5, 11:30 a.m.

*Mother/Daughter Book Group
Sunday March 5, 11:30 a.m.

*Across the Kitchen Table: Families Divided by Politics Group
Sunday March 5, 11:30 a.m.
The deep divisions in our world challenge us, especially when loved ones disagree onpolitics. If you are struggling with how to understand, accept, or make peace with loved ones with different political views, you are not alone. Please join as we share our struggles, support one another, and decide how best we might help each other move forward. Please contact Rev. Marion Visel at mvis...@Firstparish.org or 978-369-9602, ext. 414 or Trena Minudri at ab1...@yahoo.com or 617-686-8235 if you plan to attend or are interested in this topic but unavailable March 5. Drop-ins are welcome.

*Grub's Place Rehearsal
Sunday March 5, 4:00 p.m.

*"Be the Change" Small Group Ministry
Sunday March 5, 5:00 p.m.
4 Sessions: March 5, April 2, May 7, and June 4. We will gather to share our experiences and explore how to "be the change" in the world. This group is a response to the need for empowerment in the current socio-political climate. Regardless on where you stand on the issues, the need to stand up and be heard has never been so important. These sessions include meditations that help us create safe space and prepare us for the challenge of moving beyond it. Facilitated by Roselyn Romberg and Chuck McDonald on first Sundays, March to June 2017, 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. Groups limited to 10 participants, so sign up ASAP via clipboard in the Front Office or by contacting Rev. Marion Visel at mvi...@firstparish.org or 203-931-5239. Please provide your name, phone and email address.