First Parish Calendar This Week/Next Week (August 14-27)

FirstParishinConcord

Aug 14, 2017, 3:02:29 PM8/14/17
to firstparis...@googlegroups.com

CALENDAR AT A GLANCE
Tuesday August 15
   12:00 p.m., Meeting House News Deadline
   12:00 p.m., Race Conversations Group
Wednesday August 16
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
Thursday August 17
   7:00 p.m., Race Conversations Group
   7:30 p.m., By Your Side Singers
Friday August 18
   12:00 p.m., Annual Report Deadline
Sunday August 20
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Service in the Sanctuary
   10:00 a.m., Summer Sundays for Children and Youth
Wednesday August 23
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
Friday August 25
   7:30 p.m., Rise Up Singing
Sunday August 27
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Service in the Sanctuary
   10:00 a.m., Summer Sundays for Children and Youth
=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
THIS WEEK (August 14-20)
*Meeting House News Deadline
Tuesday August 15, 12:00 p.m.
Submissions in final form for the September Meeting House News are due by noon, Tuesday, August 15. Please send your submission and images in final form as attachments to the Editor, Wendy Wolfberg, wolf...@post.harvard.edu. For dates and guidelines, please review the brochure "Publicizing Events at First Parish of Concord" available on the small table outside the church office or you can request a PDF from the Editor. After you email your submission and image(s), you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive a confirmation email, be sure to contact the Editor. For ideas and examples, you can download and review last year's kickoff newsletter and all newsletters at: http://firstparish.org/wp/news/meeting-house-news/. Submission is limited to 100 words and sent as a Word or Text file. Images can be either JPEG or PNG. Please be sure to send all files as attachments. Thank you!

*Race Conversations Group
Tuesday August 15, 12:00 p.m.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday August 16, 9:30 a.m.
Come explore Buddhism with us Wednesdays from 9:30-11:00 a.m. (or Thursdays from 7:30-9:00 p.m.). Even if you have no previous experience with Buddhism, consider joining one of these groups. A typical session usually starts with some chanting and meditation to help us calm our minds and focus our thoughts. Then, after a brief reading or lecture, we discuss how to apply what we have learned to our daily lives. Questions are always welcome. We are a friendly, welcoming group. Check out a session or two. Contact Bill Seaver at Bill....@gmail.com.

*Race Conversations Group
Thursday August 17, 7:00 p.m.

*By Your Side Singers
Thursday August 17, 7:30 p.m.
Through singing, we offer a musical presence to people seeking comfort and support during times of illness or transition. In our twice monthly meetings we sing gentle songs and chants from our hymnals and other sources. In singing meditation we provide gentle support and comfort to one another. When invited, we visit parishioners’ homes in groups of 3 or 4 singers.

*Annual Report Deadline
Friday August 18, 12:00 p.m.
This is a reminder to committees that submissions for the final 2016-2017 Annual Report are coming due. To have your group's report included in this document, please submit a text file to Sarah Burns, Church Administrator, at sbu...@firstparish.org, no later than noon on August 18. If you have already submitted a report, (which was included in the draft present at the Annual meeting) then you do not need to send anything. For any questions, please call Sarah Burns at the church office at 978-369-9602, ext. 410.

*Sunday Service in the Sanctuary
Sunday August 20, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Howard Dana and Rev. Maddie Sifantus: "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes"
Music: Maddie Sifantus, vocalist David Owens, keyboard

*Summer Sundays for Children and Youth
Sunday August 20, 10:00 a.m.
"Musical Art," with Lora Venesy

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
NEXT WEEK (August 21-27)
*Buddhist Group
Wednesday August 23, 9:30 a.m.

*Rise Up Singing
Friday August 25, 7:30 p.m.
First Parish’s monthly song circle. Singers and instrumentalists of all ages are welcome at this fun and informal evening of shared music making. Bring copies of Rise Up Singing and Rise Again if you have them. Copies will be available for those who don’t. We will pass the hat for a free-will donation to cover the cost of the room and a sexton.

*Sunday Service in the Sanctuary
Sunday August 27, 10:00 a.m.
Rev Howard Dana: "The Value of Leisure"
Music: Pamela Schweppe, soprano; Mary Jane Rupert, keyboard

*Summer Sundays for Children and Youth
Sunday August 27, 10:00 a.m.
"Science and Spirituality Scavenger Hunt," with Peter Nichol and Ayden Nichol