First Parish Calendar This Week/Next Week (April 25-May 7)

FirstParishinConcord

Apr 24, 2017, 5:36:04 PM4/24/17
to firstparis...@googlegroups.com

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
CALENDAR AT A GLANCE
Tuesday April 25
   9:30 a.m., Women's Book Group
   6:30 p.m., T'ai Chi
Wednesday April 26
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir
Thursday April 27
   6:00 p.m., "Adapting Toward Strength-Leadership Through Self-Differentiation"
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
Friday April 28
   7:30 p.m., WPA and AWE Panel Discussion
   7:30 p.m., Rise Up Singing
Saturday April 29
   9:30 a.m., April History Hikes with Howard
Sunday April 30
   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Service
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir
   11:30 a.m., Transylvania Pilgrimage Interest Meeting
   11:30 a.m., Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
   12:15 p.m., Contemporary Vocal Ensemble Rehearsal
   3:00 p.m., Photo Club Show and Reception
Monday May 1
   1:30 p.m., Caregiver Support Group
   7:00 p.m., Immigration Justice Task Force
   7:30 p.m., Women's Book Group
Tuesday May 2
   1:30 p.m., First Tuesday Group
   7:00 p.m., "Beyond the Wall" Screening
   6:30 p.m., T'ai Chi
Wednesday May 3
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir
Thursday May 4
   7:30 p.m., By Your Side Singers
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
Saturday May 6
   4:00 p.m., Thoreau Celebration Event
Sunday May 7
   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Service
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir
   11:30 a.m., Mother/Daughter Book Group
   11:30 a.m., Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
   12:30 p.m., Native American Study Group
   5:00 p.m., "Be the Change" Small Group Ministry
   6:00 p.m., Standing Committee Meeting
   7:00 p.m., The Conchords' Concert
=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
THIS WEEK (April 24-30)
*Women's Book Group
Tuesday April 25, 9:30 a.m.
For April, the Womens AM/PM Book Group will discuss We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler. All women of First Parish are warmly invited to read the book and join a discussion. Theres no need to sign up. If you would like to be added to the Womens Book Group email list, please contact Darien Smith at dar...@smithquest.com.

*T'ai Chi
Tuesday April 25, 6:30 p.m.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday April 26, 9:30 a.m.
Come explore Buddhism with us Wednesdays from 9:30-11:00 a.m. (or Thursdays from 7:30-9:00 p.m.). Even if you have no previous experience with Buddhism, consider joining one of these groups. A typical session usually starts with some chanting and meditation to help us calm our minds and focus our thoughts. Then, after a brief reading or lecture, we discuss how to apply what we have learned to our daily lives. Questions are always welcome. We are a friendly, welcoming group. Check out a session or two. Contact Bill Seaver at Bill....@gmail.com.

*Adult Choir
Wednesday April 26, 7:45 p.m.

*"Adapting Toward Strength-Leadership Through Self-Differentiation"
Thursday April 27, 6:00 p.m.
The Standing Committee invites all First Parish leaders to join in a workshop led by Rev. Howard Dana. Do you wonder why your meetings devolve into tangents and run over time? Have you wondered why no one on your committee seems to want to step up and take on its tasks? Are you close to burn-out because you are carrying too much of the volunteer load? Come learn how a change in your attitude as a leader can radically change how your group functions. We will be using Edwin H. Friedman’s work on systems leadership as our basis. Space is limited. Please RSVP to Kate Svrcek (kates...@hotmail.com).

*Buddhist Group
Thursday April 27, 7:30 p.m.

*AWE and WPA Panel Discussion
Friday April 28, 7:30 p.m.
Hold the date of Friday, April 28, at 7:30 p.m. for a special panel discussion on women's health and access to it. We will focus on what's at stake and what we can do about it. This timely and informative program and discussion is co-sponsored by the AWE (The Advocates for Women's Empowerment, formerly Reproductive Justice) and the WPA (Women's Parish Association).  There is no charge. Donations will be gratefully accepted at the door. Refreshments will be served. Stay tuned for further details and contact Lora Venesy with any questions at ven...@comcast.net.

*Rise Up Singing
Friday April 28, 7:30 p.m.
First Parish’s monthly song circle. Singers and instrumentalists of all ages are welcome at this fun and informal evening of shared music making. Bring copies of Rise Up Singing and Rise Again if you have them. Copies will be available for those who don’t. We will pass the hat for a free-will donation to cover the cost of the room and a sexton.

*April History
Hikes with Howard
Family Day at Fruitlands
Saturday April 29, 9:30 a.m.
Join Howard, Amy and Dawn for a fun day at Fruitlands located at 102 Prospect Hill Road, Harvard, MA. This outing will be fun for all ages! Discover the Alcott’s 19th century utopian experiment, enjoy the beautiful grounds and explore the other small museums on site. $10 entrance fee. Bring a picnic lunch. Learn more: www.fruitlands.org No sign-up needed. We will carpool from First Parish in Concord at 9:30 am. Our outing will end by 2:00 pm for our return to Concord. If you wish to meet us at there, you’re also welcome to do so! Questions? Contact Amy at afre...@firstparish.org.

*Chalice Choir
Sunday April 30, 9:00 a.m.

*Gospel Choir
Sunday April 30, 9:00 a.m.

*Sunday Service
Sunday April 30, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Amy Freedman: "Huckleberry Hunting with Thoreau"
Music: First Parish Choir

*Junior Choir
Sunday April 30, 11:30 a.m.

*Transylvania Pilgrimage Interest Meeting
Sunday April 30, 11:30 a.m.
The Partner Congregation Committee and Minister of Religious Education Amy Freedman announce plans for a multi-generational pilgrimage to our partner congregation in Székelykeresztúr, Transylvania in either April or summer of 2018. This is open to all, individuals and families alike. To hear about potential dates, itineraries, and costs please come to an informational meeting on Sunday, April 30 at 11:30 a.m. in the Emerson Room. If you're interested but are unable to attend, contact Lillian Anderson at lilli...@comcast.netor Rev. Freedman at afree...@firstparish.org

*Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
Sunday April 30, 11:30 a.m.
"Is Walden Pond Okay?" The interaction of phosphorus and dissolved oxygen is the root cause of the toxic algae blooms such as have occurred on White Pond in Concord. Speaker Jack Nevisons talk will illustrate the level of current similar threats to the well-being of Walden Pond, as well as discussing possible actions to ameliorate this potentially serious problem. For a baseline date, in 2001 the U.S. Geological Survey released a comprehensive survey of the chemistry of Walden Pond for the years 1995-1999.

*Contemporary Vocal Ensemble Rehearsal
Sunday April 30, 12:15 p.m.

*Photo Club Show an
d Reception
Sunday April 30, 3:00 p.m.
The popular “Photo Booth” is back this year! An assortment of costume items will be available for your portraits. Images will be available online soon after the show. Members work will be displayed on the Stage Gallery. Two slide shows will run—ten of each member’s photos in the Parlor; and on stage, highlights of selected field trips. Open to all—bring your friends and family. An array of delicious foods and beverages will be served. Questions? Call Kathleen Elcox at 978-318-1970.

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
NEXT WEEK (May 1-7)
*Caregiver Support Group
Monday May 1, 1:30 p.m.
Providing care for a family member in need is an age-old act of love or at least loyalty. You may care for an aging parent (while also caring for your own children), disabled spouse, sibling or a young or adult child with physical, mental or addiction issues. Whether you provide direct care or oversee care at a distance, with support you can be a good caregiver without sacrificing yourself in the process.  This group meets regularly, currently every other Monday afternoon from 1:30-3:00 p.m. Contact facilitators, Marion Visel, Minister for Pastoral Care at mvi...@firstparish.orgor Diane Clapp, dianeb...@gmail.com to learn more about the group. If you are unable to attend meetings on Monday afternoon please let either of us know of your interest.

*
Immigration Justice Task Force
Monday May 1, 7:00 p.m.

*
Women's Book Group
Monday May 1, 7:30 p.m.
For April, the Womens AM/PM Book Group will discuss "We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves," by Karen Joy Fowler. All women of First Parish are warmly invited to read the book and join a discussion. Theres no need to sign up. If you would like to be added to the Womens Book Group email list, please contact Darien Smith at dar...@smithquest.com

*
First Tuesday Group
Tuesday May 2, 1:30 p.m.
"Conscious Aging: An Introductory Workshop." Annie Gray will lead a workshop with discussion and exercises on living consciously, embracing the journey of aging, and exploring important themes that emerge as we age. Gray has lead a highly acclaimed, eight-session version of this workshop through Concord-Carlisle Adult and Community Education. Come participate in the stimulating discussion and exercises that explore the potential of life's later chapters. While our heading says 65+, please come if you are interested, whatever your age. For more information, contact Virginia Taylor, virginiar...@verizon.net or 978-263-9777

*
"Beyond the Wall" Screening
Tuesday May 2, 7:00 p.m.
Filmmaker Jenny Phillips screens her powerful new documentary, Beyond the Wall; discussion follows. Phillips’ work lays out the desperate situation of the flood of prisoners returning to our communities without guidance and support for transition to society. Set largely in Lowell and Lawrence, where once thriving textile mills have been replaced by poverty, crime, and drug addiction, the film bears witness to personal stories of reentry, relapse, recovery, and redemption. Phillips puts a human face on the social, economic, and emotional barriers encountered by former prisoners, who are among our most discriminated citizens. For more information and to watch a synopsis/trailer, visit https://beyondthewallfilm.com/. Contact Pat Simon, psimon...@gmail.com or 781-373-1410

*
T'ai Chi
Tuesday May 2, 6:30 p.m.

*
Buddhist Group
Wednesday May 3, 9:30 a.m.

*
Adult Choir
Wednesday May 3, 7:45 p.m.

*
By Your Side Singers
Thursday May 4, 7:30 p.m.
By Your Side Singers First Parish’s pastoral choir. Through singing, we offer a musical presence to people seeking comfort and support during times of illness or transition. In our twice monthly meetings we sing gentle songs and chants from our hymnals and other sources. In singing meditation we provide gentle support and comfort to one another. When invited, we visit parishioners’ homes in groups of 3 or 4 singers.

*
Buddhist Group
Thursday May 4, 7:30 p.m.

*
Thoreau Celebration Event
Saturday May 6, 4:00 p.m.
The Transcendentalism Council is sponsoring these events. We hope you will join us for some fun and informative sessions.
Lecture by Jayne Gordon:
“Walking, Working, Waking: What Was Thoreau Seeking?” Lecture, 4:00 p.m., in the Sanctuary
A lecture by historian Jayne Gordon is free and open to the public through a grant from Freedom’s Way National Heritage Area.
Family Trivia and Dinner/Dessert:
Following Jayne Gordon’s lecture, 5:15 p.m., Parish Hall Reservations required by May 1
Trivia Night: Informal trivia on topics related to Thoreau’s life. You don’t need to be a history expert! Hosted by historian Richard Smith, as Henry David Thoreau. Water/cider provided.
Buffet Dinner and Dessert: Buffet by Comella’s, dessert by Boo’s Creations. Bring your own beverage. Water and cider provided
Advance registration is required by May 1. Please contact Shelley Hawks, Shelle...@msn.com, or call the church office at 978-369-9602. Cash or check accepted at the door: $20/adult; $10 for ages 20 and under; maximum $50/family.

*
Chalice Choir
Sunday May 7, 9:00 a.m.

*
Gospel Choir
Sunday May 7, 9:00 a.m.

*
Sunday Service
Sunday May 7, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Howard Dana: "Henry David Thoreau: 200 Years After His Birth"
Music: Children's Choir and Contemporary Vocal Ensembles

*
Junior Choir
Sunday May 7, 11:30 a.m.

*
Mother/Daughter Book Group
Sunday May 7, 11:30 a.m.

*
Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
Sunday May 7, 11:30 a.m.
"Health Care in the Time of Trump”—Phil Villers What does health care look like in the time of Trump? What are the consequences for the American people? What is happening now that the Republicans have failed to "abolish Obamacare"? What can we each do to limit the damage and help in the plan to rebuild? Come hear someone who has been working on health care reform since 1982. Phil and his wife, Katherine, founded the Families USA Foundation and he currently serves as President. The Foundation’s major focus is on achieving universal access to high quality, affordable health and long term care for all Americans.

*
Native American Study Group
Sunday May 7, 12:30 p.m.

*
"Be the Change" Small Group Ministry
Sunday May 7, 5:00 p.m.
We will gather to share our experiences and explore how to "be the change" in the world. This group is a response to the need for empowerment in the current socio-political climate. Regardless on where you stand on the issues, the need to stand up and be heard has never been so important. These sessions include meditations that help us create safe space and prepare us for the challenge of moving beyond it. Facilitated by Roselyn Romberg and Chuck McDonald. Groups are limited to 10 participants, so sign up quickly on the clipboard in the front office, or by contacting Rev. Marion Visel at mvi...@firstparish.org or 203-931-5239. Please provide your name, phone, and email address.

*
Standing Committee Meeting
Sunday May 7, 6:00 p.m.
On April 9, the Standing Committee met in the Brooks Room to hear regular reports, to review our progress on our goals and to hear the results of the recent stewardship survey. Next month, we will be discussing a preliminary budget for FY18 and approving the warrant for the annual meeting. We welcome anyone interested to attend our next meeting.

*
The Conchords' Concert
Sunday May 7, 7:00 p.m.
The Conchords, a six-member vocal ensemble comprised of current and former members of the First Parish Adult Choir, will perform selections from the Great American Songbook, music for the stage, and favorites of the Boomer generation. While most pieces will be performed a cappella, the Adult Choir’s accomplished rehearsal accompanist Grace Choi will accompany some selections. No tickets are required. A goodwill donation at the door will be gratefully accepted.