First Parish Calendar This Week/Next Week (February 19-March 4)

FirstParishinConcord

Feb 19, 2018, 3:56:09 PM2/19/18
to firstparis...@googlegroups.com

CALENDAR AT A GLANCE
Tuesday February 20
   5:00 p.m., SAC Board Meeting
   6:30 p.m., T'ai Chi
   7:00 p.m., Amnesty International
Wednesday February 21
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir Rehearsal
Thursday February 22
   9:30 a.m., Beloved Conversations
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
Friday February 23
   7:30 p.m., Rise Up Singing
Saturday February 24
   4:00 p.m., Mother/Daughter Book Group Overnight
   7:30 p.m., Silent Movie Night
Sunday February 25
   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Service
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir
   11:30 a.m., Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
Monday February 26
   7:00 p.m., Beloved Conversations
   7:30 p.m., Women's Book Group
Tuesday February 27
   9:30 a.m., Women's Book Group
   6:30 p.m., T'ai Chi
   7:00 p.m., Annual Campaign Meeting
   7:30 p.m., Daring Democracy Book Discussion
Wednesday February 28
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   1:00 p.m., Beloved Converstations
   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir Rehearsal
Thursday March 1
   7:30 p.m., By Your Side Singers
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
Friday March 2
   6:30 p.m., AWE Movie Night
Saturday March 3
   9:30 a.m., Photo Club Meeting
   7:00 p.m., PCC "Beneath the Surface" Film Screening
Sunday March 4
   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Service
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
THIS WEEK (February 19-25)
*SAC Board Meeting
Tuesday February 20, 5:00 p.m.

*T'ai Chi
Tuesday February 20, 6:30 p.m.

*Amnesty International
Tuesday February 20, 7:00 p.m.
First on the agenda is signing letters to support human rights activists determined by Amnesty/USA to be “urgent” cases. We’ll have progress reports on our plans for April 26, when Sister Helen Prejean will speak in Concord. Ongoing projects include Massachusetts prison reform, death penalty abolition, the prevention of violence against women worldwide, and the freeing of two Azerbaijanian student activists. All are welcome to join us. For more information, contact Nancy Lyons at njly...@gmail.com or 978-369-6109.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday February 21, 9:30 a.m.
Come explore Buddhism with us Wednesdays from 9:30-11:00 a.m. (or Thursdays from 7:30-9:00 p.m.). Even if you have no previous experience with Buddhism, consider joining one of these groups. A typical session usually starts with some chanting and meditation to help us calm our minds and focus our thoughts. Then, after a brief reading or lecture, we discuss how to apply what we have learned to our daily lives. Questions are always welcome. We are a friendly, welcoming group. Check out a session or two. Contact Bill Seaver at Bill....@gmail.com.

*Adult Choir Rehearsal
Wednesday February 21, 7:45 p.m.

*Beloved Conversations
Thursday February 22, 9:30 a.m.

*Buddhist Group
Thursday February 22, 7:30 p.m.

*Rise Up Singing

Friday February 23, 7:30 p.m.
First Parish’s monthly song circle. Singers and instrumentalists of all ages are welcome at this fun and informal evening of shared music making. Bring copies of Rise Up Singing and Rise Again if you have them. Copies will be available for those who don’t. We will pass the hat for a free-will donation to cover the cost of the room and a sexton.

*Mother/Daughter Book Group Overnight
Saturday February 24, 4:00 p.m.

*Silent Movie Night

Saturday February 24, 7:30 p.m.
“The Cameraman” is a 1928 American silent comedy film starring Buster Keaton and Marceline Day. This classic romantic comedy was a box office hit and the MGM writing department used it as an example of a "perfectly constructed comedy" in screen writer trainings. Robert Humphreville is active as a freelance accompanist and organist throughout greater Boston. He accompanies silent movies all over New England and has been singled out several times by the Boston Globe for his inventive improvisations. Free admission.

*Chalice Choir
Sunday February 25, 9:00 a.m.

*Gospel Choir
Sunday February 25, 9:00 a.m.

*Sunday Service
Sunday February 25, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Howard N. Dana: "Shaking Hands with the Lion"
Music: Contemporary Vocal Ensemble

*Junior Choir
Sunday February 25, 11:30 a.m.

*Sunday Forum in the Sanctuary
Sunday February 25, 11:30 a.m.
"The Nagog Pond Controversy." Out West they say, "Whiskey's for drinkin', water's for fightin'." Here in Massachusetts, we've been blessed with abundant rainfall and plenty of water to go around. But that is now changing. The ongoing controversy over Concord's proposal to increase water treatment capacity at Acton's Nagog Pond may be a harbinger of the future. In this Forum, Acton resident and geoscientist Dr. Kim Kastens will share her view of the Nagog Pond situation and lead a discussion of what lessons we can learn about water in a time of scarcity.

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
NEXT WEEK (February 26-March 4)
*Women's Book Group
Tuesday February 27, 9:30 a.m.

*T'ai Chi
Tuesday February 27, 6:30 p.m.

*Annual Campaign Meeting
Tuesday February 27, 7:00 p.m.

*Daring Democracy Book Discussion
Tuesday February 27, 7:30 p.m.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday February 28, 9:30 a.m.

*Beloved Converstations
Wednesday February 28, 1:00 p.m.

*Adult Choir Rehearsal
Wednesday February 28, 7:45 p.m.

*By Your Side Singers
Thursday March 1, 7:30 p.m.
By Your Side Singers First Parish’s pastorachoir. Through  singing, we offer a musical presence to people seeking comfort and support during times of illness or transition. In our twice monthly meetings we sing gentle songs and chants from our hymnals and other sources. In singing meditation we provide gentle support and comfort to one another. When invited, we visit parishioners’ homes in groups of 3 or 4 singers.

*Buddhist Group
Thursday March 1, 7:30 p.m.

*AWE Movie Night
Friday March 2, 6:30 p.m.
Well show He Named Me Malala. After the Taliban tries to kill her for speaking out on behalf of girls education, Pakistani teenager Malala Yousafzai emerges as a leading advocate for childrens rights and the youngest-ever Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. Contact: Lou Toussaint at mlouto...@gmail.com

*Photo Club Meeting

Saturday March 3, 9:30 a.m.
The Photography Club welcomes new members who are eighteen years and older, of all skill levels. You don't have to a member of First Parish to be a member of the Photography Club. We meet on the second Saturday of each month at 9:30 a.m. (except July and August) to share our pictures, learn new techniques, and socialize. We organize photography field trips to locations near and far, including "Mini Field Trips" during our meetings, where we go outdoors (or inside in bad weather) to shoot with a specific style, theme or technique in mind and then share our results with the group. If you have any questions, please email Susan Page at srpa...@gmail.com.

*PCC "Beneath the Surface" Film Screening
Saturday March 3, 7:00 p.m.
This April, 27 pilgrims from First Parish will travel to Transylvania to visit our partner congregation in Székelykeresztúr. On March 3, at 7:00 p.m., we will show the documentary “Beneath the Surface,”  a moving film that tells the story of the diverse and tolerant village, Bözödújfalu, which was intentionally flooded and destroyed during the reign of Ceausescu. Suggested donation of $20. In addition, we will be offering Hungarian items for silent auction and raffle at the event. Come to our table at coffee hour, through February 25.

*Chalice Choir
Sunday March 4, 9:00 a.m.

*Gospel Choir
Sunday March 4, 9:00 a.m.

*Sunday Service
Sunday March 4, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Howard N. Dana: "Give Love-Celebration Sunday"
Music: Combined First Parish Choirs

*Junior Choir
Sunday March 4, 11:30 a.m.