First Parish Calendar This Week/Next Week (September 19-October 1)

FirstParishinConcord

Sep 19, 2017, 3:55:17 PM9/19/17
to firstparis...@googlegroups.com

CALENDAR AT A GLANCE
Tuesday September 19
   10:00 a.m., Flower Committee Meeting

   6:30 p.m., T'ai Chi

   7:00 p.m., NAMI Family-to-Family

   7:00 p.m., Amnesty International

Wednesday September 20
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   11:30 a.m., WPA Luncheon Program

   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir Rehearsal

Thursday September 21
   7:00 p.m., Membership Committee Meeting

   7:30 p.m., By Your Side Singers

   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group

Friday September 22
   7:00 p.m., Spiritual Audacity Book Launch

   7:30 p.m., Rise Up Singing
Saturday September 23
   10:00 a.m., Discussion On The 7.5% to Social Action

 Sunday September 24
   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir Rehearsal
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir Rehearsal
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Service in the Sanctuary
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir Rehearsal
   11:30 a.m., Environmental Leadership Team

   11:30 a.m., Transylvania Pilgrimage Session
   12:15 p.m., Contemporary Vocal Ensemble
Monday September 25
   7:00 p.m., Thoreau as a Spiritual Guide
   7:30 p.m., Women's Book Group
Tuesday September 26
   9:30 a.m., Women's Book Group
   6:30 p.m., T'ai Chi
   7:00 p.m., NAMI Family-to-Family
Wednesday September 27
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   7:30 p.m., Discussions on the 7.5% to Social Action
   7:45 p.m., Adult Choir Rehearsal
Thursday September 28
   6:30 p.m., Partner Church Community Potluck
Saturday September 30
   8:00 a.m. "Harvest the Power" Leadership Workshop
   9:30 a.m., Small Group Ministry Facilitator Training
Sunday October 1
   9:00 a.m., Chalice Choir Rehearsal
   9:00 a.m., Gospel Choir Rehearsal
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Service in the Sanctuary
   11:30 a.m., Junior Choir Rehearsal
   11:30 a.m., Discussions on the 7.5% to Social Action

   4:30 p.m., Small Group Ministry

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
THIS WEEK (September 18-24)
*Thoreau as a Spiritual Guide
Monday September 18, 7:00 p.m.
Rev. Marion Visel will facilitate a series of conversations focused on Thoreau’s classic, Walden. We will read it as a do-it-yourself guide to simple living, as we wrestle with the questions it raises for us personally. Attendance limited to 15 participants. For registration and information, contact Rev. Marion Visel at marion...@gmail.com, or by leaving a note in her mailbox in the First Parish office.

*Flower Committee Meeting

Tuesday September 19, 10:00 a.m.

*T'ai Chi
Tuesday September 19, 6:30 p.m.

*NAMI Family-to-Family
Tuesday September 19, 7:00 p.m.
The Family-to-Family Education Program is a free, 12-week course for family members of individuals with mental illnesses. Run by the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) the course is taught by trained family members. The course includes:
-Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse.
-Focusing on care for the caregiver; coping with worry, stress, and overload.
-Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community.
The course will be held at First Parish in Concord, on Tuesdays from 6:30 to 9:00 p.m., September 19 through December 5. To register or for more information contact Clare Cooper at cco...@westfordconsulting.com or 978-692-8994. Visit www.nami.org for information on this program and information on mental illness.

*Amnesty International
Tuesday September 19, 7:00 p.m.
First on the agenda is to sign letters to support human rights activists determined by Amnesty/USA to be “urgent” cases. A new undertaking will be to map out a plan to address the refugee/asylum crisis. Ongoing projects include Massachusetts prison reform, death penalty abolition, the prevention of violence against women worldwide, and the freeing of two Azerbaijanian student activists. All are welcome to join us. For more information, contact Nancy Lyons, njly...@gmail.com, or 978-369-6109.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday September 20, 9:30 a.m.
Come explore Buddhism with us Wednesdays from 9:30-11:00 a.m. (or Thursdays from 7:30-9:00 p.m.). Even if you have no previous experience with Buddhism, consider joining one of these groups. A typical session usually starts with some chanting and meditation to help us calm our minds and focus our thoughts. Then, after a brief reading or lecture, we discuss how to apply what we have learned to our daily lives. Questions are always welcome. We are a friendly, welcoming group. Check out a session or two. Contact Bill Seaver at Bill....@gmail.com.

*WPA Luncheon Program
Wednesday September 20, 11:30 a.m.
It’s time to celebrate First Parish’s Amazing Women’s Groups and all that they do to bring knowledge, peace, justice, beauty, joy, and comfort to our world.The Women’s Parish Association cordially invites you to its Celebratory Luncheon Program and Annual Meeting where we can reflect briefly upon past accomplishments and learn about interesting and important coming events of all the Women’s Groups of First Parish. Join old and new friends over a delicious lunch for a fun and informative time. Luncheon cost: $12.00. Contact the office at 978-369-9602 or Dian Pekin at pek...@comcast.net by September 16 to make reservations. All are welcome!

*Adult Choir Rehearsal
Wednesday September 20, 7:45 p.m.

*Guided Tour and Gallery Talk at the Walden Woods Project's Thoreau Institute Library
Thursday September 21, 11:00 a.m., 44 Baker Farm Road, Lincoln, MA 01733
Join us for a session with the Walden Woods Project’s Curator of Collections, author and Thoreau scholar, Jeffrey S. Cramer, in the Thoreau Institute Library, a beautiful, state-of-the-art facility. The library maintains the most comprehensive body of Thoreau-related material available in one place. Mr. Cramer will discuss Thoreau’s life and writings as they relate to historical items on display in the library. Come with your questions and comments, to spark discussion! Limited to 20. Carpooling is recommended, due to limited parking. Free of charge, but pre-registration is necessary. Contact Dianne Weiss at dianne...@comcast.net.

*Membership Committee Meeting
Thursday September 21, 7:00 p.m.

*By Your Side Singers
Thursday September 21, 7:30 p.m.
By Your Side Singers First Parish’s pastorachoir. Through singing, we offer a musical presence to people seeking comfort and support during times of illness or transition. In our twice monthly meetings we sing gentle songs and chants from our hymnals and other sources. In singing meditation we provide gentle support and comfort to one another. When invited, we visit parishioners’ homes in groups of 3 or 4 singers.

*Buddhist Group
Thursday September 21, 7:30 p.m.

*Spiritual Audacity Book Launch
Friday September 22, 7:00 p.m.
Why do some people flourish in adversity and others do not? Jim Sherblom’s spiritual memoir Spiritual Audacity: Six Disciplines of Human Flourishing addresses this question from a Unitarian Universalist perspective. Please plan to come to church to help celebrate the publication release and book signing of this new UU book. There will be drinks and snacks served as well as readings from Jim’s book. All are welcome! Contact Rev. Jim Sherblom at jimsh...@gmail.com or 781-439-4806.

*Rise Up Singing
Friday September 22, 7:30 p.m.
First Parish’s monthly song circle. Singers and instrumentalists of all ages are welcome at this fun and informal evening of shared music making. Bring copies of Rise Up Singing and Rise Again if you have them. Copies will be available for those who don’t. We will pass the hat for a free-will donation to cover the cost of the room and a sexton.

*Discussion On The 7.5% to Social Action
Saturday September 23, 10:00 a.m.
Do you want First Parish to continue allocating 7.5 percent of its annual pledges to fund Social Action grants and our Social Action coordinator? The congregation will vote at the June 2018 Annual Meeting to reaffirm, revise, or revoke this commitment. Throughout this church year, the SC will facilitate a congregation-wide exploration of this policy so you can learn more about the pros and cons.

*Chalice Choir Rehearsal
 Sunday September 24, 9:00 a.m.

*Gospel Choir Rehearsal
 Sunday September 24, 9:00 a.m.

*Sunday Service in the Sanctuary

 Sunday September 24, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Howard Dana: "How Are We Redeemed?"

Music: First Parish Choir

*Junior Choir Rehearsal
 Sunday September 24, 11:30 a.m.

*Transylvania Pilgrimage Session
 Sunday September 24, 11:30 a.m.
The Partner Congregation Committee (PCC) and Rev. Amy Freedman are excited to announce that the April 2018 Transylvanian multigenerational pilgrimage to our partner congregation in Székelykeresztúr leaves either Thursday or Friday, April 12 or 13, and returns Monday, April 23. This multigenerational pilgrimage is open to all congregation members, individuals and families alike. There is still time to register. The cost will be $1,800 - $2,200 per person (largely driven by airfares). Scholarship assistance is available by contacting Rev. Amy Freedman. Come join Howard, Beth, Amy, Dawn, and 14 other adults, youth, and children who have already signed up. To learn more, please join us at the informational meeting. If you are interested or have questions, please contact Lillian Anderson, lilli...@comcast.net, or Rev. Amy Freedman, afre...@firstparish.org

*Contemporary Vocal Ensemble
 Sunday September 24, 12:15 p.m.

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
NEXT WEEK (September 25-October 1)

*Thoreau as a Spiritual Guide

Monday September 25, 7:30 p.m.
Rev. Marion Visel will facilitate a series of conversations focused on Thoreau’s classic, Walden. We will read it as a do-it-yourself guide to simple living, as we wrestle with the questions it raises for us personally.

*Women's Book Group
Monday September 25, 7:30 p.m.
All women of First Parish are welcome to join any of the discussions, which take place in the Brooks Room at First Parish. There’s no need to sign up; just come to either the morning or evening session any month you’d like to attend. If you would like to be added to the Book Group email list for reminders, contact Darien Smith at darien.smithquest.com.

*Women's Book Group
Tuesday September 26, 9:30 a.m.

*T'ai Chi
Tuesday September 26, 6:30 p.m.

*NAMI Family-to-Family
Tuesday September 26, 7:00 p.m.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday September 27, 9:30 a.m.

*Discussions on the 7.5% to Social Action
Wednesday September 27, 7:30 p.m.

*
Adult Choir Rehearsal
Wednesday September 27, 7:45 p.m.

*Partner Church Community Potluck
Thursday September 28, 6:30 p.m.

*"Harvest the Power" Leadership Workshop
Saturday September 30, 8:00 a.m.

Please join the Standing Committee and Rev. Howard Dana for a highly interactive leadership workshop, as we learn how to channel our collective power to make a stronger congregation. We’ll work in small groups to examine big concepts like leadership, management, power, authority, and integrity. We'll consider some key attributes of effective congregational leadership, along with how to break through positions that limit our creativity and vision. Whether you’re a seasoned First Parish leader, someone who wishes to become one, or a person who is intrigued by the idea— we invite you to participate! Please RSVP to Kate Svrcek at kates...@hotmail.com or  781-472-0714 (email preferred).

*Small Group Ministry Facilitator Training
Saturday September 30, 9:30 a.m.
Small Groups offered so far have been very well received and group facilitators have found the experience to be meaningful and rewarding. People are enthusiastic about growing spiritually and deepening their relationships with each other, but Small Group Ministry can’t exist without facilitators! Facilitating a Small Group requires commitment to a regular meeting schedule. A facilitator is responsible to help manage group process, and clarifying expectations while modeling caring covenantal relationship. Facilitators will be trained and supported by Marion Visel, Minister for Pastoral Care, and the Small Group Ministry Steering Committee. Marion is happy to talk with you about becoming a SGM facilitator! Contact Marion at mvi...@firstparish.org or 203-931-5239.

*Chalice Choir Rehearsal
Sunday October 1, 9:00 a.m.

*Gospel Choir Rehearsal
Sunday October 1, 9:00 a.m.

*Sunday Service in the Sanctuary
Sunday October 1, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Gary Smith, Minister Emeritus: "View from the Pew"
Music: First Parish Choir

*Junior Choir Rehearsal

Sunday October 1, 11:30 a.m.

*Discussions on the 7.5% to Social Action
Sunday October 1, 11:30 a.m.

*Small Group Ministry
Sunday October 1, 4:30 p.m.

This group will explore deepening spiritually through practices and topics often thought of as "small" or "simple".  Topics will include gratitude as a spiritual practice, simplifying busy lives to make space for spirituality, exploring meaningfulness and fulfillments, acts of kindness as spiritual practices, and cultivating experiences of grace. Facilitated by Roselyn Romberg. Limited to 10 participants. Sign up by contacting Rev. Marion Visel at mvi...@firstparish.org or 203-931-5239, or sign the sheet in the front office. Facilitators will contact you the week before the first session.