First Parish Calendar This Week/Next Week (June 19-July 2)

FirstParishinConcord

Jun 19, 2017, 1:28:28 PM6/19/17
to firstparis...@googlegroups.com

CALENDAR AT A GLANCE
Tuesday June 20
   2:00 p.m., Pastoral Care Lay Ministers' meeting
   6:00 p.m., Women's Circle Pot Luck
   7:00 p.m., Amnesty International Meeting
Wednesday June 21
   All Day, UUA General Assembly Begins (runs until June 25)
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
Thursday June 22
   7:30 p.m., AWE Summer Book Group
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
Friday June 23
   7:30 p.m., Rise Up Singing
Sunday June 25
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Service in the Parish Hall
Wednesday June 28
   9:30 a.m., Buddhist Group
   7:00 p.m., Race Conversations Group
Thursday June 29
   7:30 p.m., Buddhist Group
Friday June 30
   10:00 a.m., Race Conversations Group
Saturday July 1
   10:00 a.m., Board of Mass Bay District
Sunday July 2
   10:00 a.m., Sunday Service in the Sanctuary

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
THIS WEEK (June 12-18)
*Amnesty International Meeting
Tuesday June 20, 7:00 p.m., in the Greeley Room
Before summer break, in addition to writing letters supporting individuals imprisoned for peaceful human rights activities, we'll have updates on Massachusetts prison reform, death penalty abolition, and the prevention of violence against women worldwide. We'll continue to focus on strategies to free two young Azerbaijanian student activists arrested in May 1916 on trumped up charges of heroin possession. All are welcome to join us. For more information, contact Kathy Taylor at Kly.t...@gmail.com or 781-718-7640.

*UUA General Assembly
Wednesday, June 21- Sunday, June 25
First Parish has eight delegate positions, and since this year we will elect the next President of the UUA, it is important to vote. You can also be a delegate and not attend or attend remotely. The sermon at the Service of the Living Tradition will be broadcast at First Parish during our Sunday worship, June 25. Registration and housing information are on the website at http://www.uua.org/ga. If you are interested in attending or being a delegate, contact Lillian Anderson, land...@uubelmont.org.

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday June 21, 9:30 a.m.
Come explore Buddhism with us Wednesdays from 9:30-11:00 a.m. (or Thursdays from 7:30-9:00 p.m.). Even if you have no previous experience with Buddhism, consider joining one of these groups. A typical session usually starts with some chanting and meditation to help us calm our minds and focus our thoughts. Then, after a brief reading or lecture, we discuss how to apply what we have learned to our daily lives. Questions are always welcome. We are a friendly, welcoming group. Check out a session or two. Contact Bill Seaver at Bill....@gmail.com.

*AWE Summer Book Group
Thursday June 22, 7:30 p.m.
Start reading and join the Advocates for Women’s Empowerment to discuss books on topics relevant to women. Join us for any or all of these dates over three Thursdays, from 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.—June 22 at First Parish with “We Should All Be Feminists” by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, July 13, location TBD with “Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity” by Katherine Boo, and August 10, location TBD with “Americanah” by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Contact Jennifer Izzo at jbi...@hotmail.com.

*Buddhist Group
Thursday June 22, 7:30 p.m.

*Rise Up Singing
Friday June 23, 7:30 p.m.
First Parish’s monthly song circle. Singers and instrumentalists of all ages are welcome at this fun and informal evening of shared music making. Bring copies of Rise Up Singing and Rise Again if you have them. Copies will be available for those who don’t. We will pass the hat for a free-will donation to cover the cost of the room and a sexton.

*Sunday Service
Sunday June 25, 10:00 a.m., Parish Hall
Rev. Marion Visel: "Service of the Living Tradition sermon from General Assembly 2017"

=    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =    =
NEXT WEEK (June 19-25)

*Buddhist Group
Wednesday June 28. 9:30 a.m.

*Race Conversations Group
Wednesday June 28, 7:00 p.m.
The Race Conversations Group wants to hear your ideas about a second banner to accompany the "Black Lives Matter" banner on the front of the church. Replace the "Join the Conversation" banner? Adopt new language for the second banner? If so, what new language? Leave just the "Black Lives Matter" banner? Your opinion matters and we're listening--by email and in person. Come to discuss on Wednesday, June 28, 7:00 p.m., or Friday, June 30, 10:00 a.m., OR give us your ideas by email. We'll consider all suggestions and make a recommendation to the Standing Committee by early August. Send your ideas to Margie King Saphier, margie.ki...@gmail.com, or to CC King ccking.i...@gmail.com.

*Buddhist Group
Thursday June 29, 7:30 p.m.

*Race Conversations Group
Friday June 30, 10:00 a.m.

*Sunday Service in the Sanctuary
Sunday July 2, 10:00 a.m.
Rev. Nancy Haverington: "Unearthing Mary Moody Emerson"
Music: Larry Gall, bass; Mary Jane Rupert, keyboard