OpenSCAD version the extrusion foot

Jan Detlefsen

Mar 12, 2016, 9:59:47 AM3/12/16
to FirePick
Since the foot didn't fit my screws and in my quest to learn more of OpenSCAD i made a parametric version of it.
Can be easily adopted to any size of screw of other size of profiles. You could as well make different sizes of feet for every corner :)

Karl

Mar 13, 2016, 10:33:37 AM3/13/16
to FirePick
:D  yay parametric!  (and editable without Cubify)

Douglas Pearless

Mar 13, 2016, 3:40:58 PM3/13/16
to fire...@googlegroups.com
I agree,

If people can design an entire Prusa i3 printer in OpenSCAD then we can surely (re)design FPD with this tool!

I propose that we made OpenSCAD the ‘official’ CAD tool for FPD going forward.

Cheers
Douglas

Roy Nielsen

Mar 13, 2016, 6:00:35 PM3/13/16
to fire...@googlegroups.com
When re-designing, we need to be wary of patent infringement, if I recall correctly, the reason this design was chosen in the first place. (an outlived patent)

Regards,
-Roy

Drew Rogge

Mar 13, 2016, 6:29:35 PM3/13/16
to fire...@googlegroups.com
I don't know why people are choosing a different CAD system. If it's cost then I would suggest something like Fusion 360 or FreeCAD. OpenSCAD is fun but it doesn't natively support things like fillets and chamfers. I think there may be some user routines to do this but I haven't found them. It also doesn't support things like dimensioning. I think it would prove pretty difficult to recreate the current FIrePick design in OpenSCAD if you wanted to use the same level of professional output as the current parts.

Personally I've started using Fusion 360. It's a very complete CAD system and also has CAM for lathe and milling. It supposedly also supports 3D printing but I've never used its facilities. I just export STL and use my slicer of choice. I don't care for it being cloud based and I would like to have a linux version. For what it's worth Fusion can also be parametric.

The reason I don't use FreeCAD is that I've always found it inconsistent. Not everything can deal with imperial units. That and there's no CAM.

Drew

On 3/13/16 3:00 PM, Roy Nielsen wrote:
> When re-designing, we need to be wary of patent infringement, if I recall correctly, the reason this design was chosen in the first place. (an outlived patent)
>
> Regards,
> -Roy
>

> On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 1:40 PM, Douglas Pearless <douglas....@gmail.com <mailto:douglas....@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I agree,
>
> If people can design an entire Prusa i3 printer in OpenSCAD then we can surely (re)design FPD with this tool!
>
> I propose that we made OpenSCAD the ‘official’ CAD tool for FPD going forward.
>
> Cheers
> Douglas
>
>> On 14/03/2016, at 3:33 AM, Karl <ka...@firepick.org <mailto:ka...@firepick.org>> wrote:
>>
>> :D yay parametric! (and editable without Cubify)
>>
>> On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 6:59:47 AM UTC-8, Jan Detlefsen wrote:
>>
>> Since the foot didn't fit my screws and in my quest to learn more of OpenSCAD i made a parametric version of it.
>> Can be easily adopted to any size of screw of other size of profiles. You could as well make different sizes of feet for every corner :)
>>
>> https://github.com/firepick/FPD-DIYCore/blob/master/1-Frame/0025-rubber-foot.scad
>>

>> --
>

> --

Drew Rogge
dr...@dasrogges.com

Phone: 8934OOO629OO4829631OOOOOOO

Michael Anton

Mar 13, 2016, 10:32:27 PM3/13/16
to FirePick
I agree with this.  Personally, I got involved in FPD development because it did use Cubify.  If it had been done in OpenSCAD originally, I'd have never contributed anything, but perhaps others would have instead.  Neil originally chose Cubify, as it was fairly inexpensive, and had the power to do this sort of design in a timely manner.  Sure, you could probably replicate all of it in OpenSCAD, but it would have been extremely difficult to have done the initial design.  The stuff I've seen done in OpenSCAD is fairly simple compared to the parts that are in this project.  FreeCAD still does not have the ability at this point to support assemblies, so it would be difficult to use for this project.

Being able to export 2D drawings with dimensions is important for having things made that are not 3D printed.  Currently, there are a number of such parts in the FPD.

If you need a cross platform tool, that is free, then one of the cloud based solutions (Fusion360, or Onshape) would be better choices.  Not that I am a fan of cloud based solutions either.

Mike

Douglas Pearless

Mar 13, 2016, 10:50:42 PM3/13/16
to fire...@googlegroups.com
I started with FreeCAD and would be happy with that instead of OpenSCAD, fillets are a bit tricky in OpenSCAD.

Jan Detlefsen

Mar 13, 2016, 11:29:53 PM3/13/16
to FirePick
Didn't plan to restart the CAD discussion.
Reason i used OpenSCAD is that i have no way to manipulate the Cubify or STL files and i needed to use a bigger screw.
I think this is the only part where people will have different screw size cause it really depends on what extrusion profile you can get your hands on and a few other things.

Jan Detlefsen

Mar 13, 2016, 11:33:19 PM3/13/16
to FirePick
BTW ImplicitCad can do rounded unions natively http://www.implicitcad.org/faq

Michael Anton

Mar 14, 2016, 2:02:40 AM3/14/16
to FirePick
Jan,

If you had asked, I would have modified the part for you, since it was my design originally...  Wouldn't the bigger screw have fit anyways, since the material is soft?

Mike

Jan Detlefsen

Mar 14, 2016, 2:03:32 AM3/14/16
to FirePick