Firebug will not open/start

James Gallagher

Mar 31, 2015, 4:41:39 AM3/31/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I really hope someone can help me with this, I am stumped!

I had the latest FF and then a defect came in specific to FF ESR. I installed ESR to different directory and created it's own profile so I could use two FF instances side by side. After doing this though Firebug will no longer open/start.

Environment:
Windows 7
Firefox 36.0.4
Firefox 31.5.3 (ESR)
Firebug 1.12.8

I have done the following but still won't open:
- Uninstalled both latest and ESR Firefox
- Deleted Mozilla directories in:
    - C:\Program Files (x86)
    - C:\Users\james\AppData\Local
    - C:\Users\james\AppData\Roaming
- Ran CCleaner
- Restarted machine
- Fresh install of latest Firefox
- Fresh install of Firebug 1.12.8
- Firebug 1.12.8 didn't work
- Removed Firebug 1.12.8 and installing Firebug 2.0.8
- Same behaviour for Firebug 2.0.8

Still unable to open/start Firebug....

During the fresh install - are there any directories I should have deleted that I didn't?

Any other ideas?

All help will be greatly appreciated!! :)

Thanks all in advance!
James :)

Sebastian Zartner

Apr 1, 2015, 4:35:04 PM4/1/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
First of all, Firebug 1.12.x is not maintained anymore and is only expected to work in the latest ESR release but not in the current normal versions of Firefox. See the compatibility list on addons.mozilla.org. (@Honza: AMO needs an update about the supported Firefox versions.)

As you wrote you can run multiple Firefox profiles in parallel, so there is normally no need to reinstall Firefox completely. Instead you can just create a new profile or reset the current profile.
When you try to open Firebug, check the errors within the browser console (Ctrl+Shift+J). Do you see any error messages related to Firebug in there?

Sebastian

James Gallagher

Apr 2, 2015, 8:02:26 AM4/2/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sebastian,

Thank you for replying. I did not know 1.12.x was not compatible anymore, that is good to know, thanks :) On the Firebug site beside the download link it says 'Compatible with: Firefox 23+'.

The strangest thing; when I went to FF today - opened (Ctrl+Shift+J) first - interested in what would appear... but Firebug opened... Hadn't opened for last two days... maybe with the shut down last night, cleared something out - I don't know why it has started working, but it's great news :)

When it started to work though - it got this in the script tag - 'This Version of Firefox removed the old JavaScript debugging API. Please install Firebug 2.0, which adopts the new API.'

The reason for us still using 1.12.x; is we are having trouble with 2.x

We work on a large enterprise app that is very frontend orientated with a large JS codebase. With Firebug 2.0.8 running; when loading our pages (in obfuscated & minified mode), we are getting multiple unresponsive script alerts on page load, one being:
chrome://firebug/content/debugger/script/sourceTool.js:339

Clicking continue gets the page to load but when searching script tab, Firebug seem to hang, putting Firefox into 'Not Responding`, after a while these unresponsive script alerts appear repeatedly:
chrome://firebug/content/chrome/panel.js:529'
chrome://firebug/content/bti/inProcess/compilationunit.js:77
chrome://firebug/content/lib/url.js:111
chrome://firebug/content/lib/array.js:67

Firebug 2.x seems to be having trouble traversing the large JS codebase...

In debug mode; where JS is not obfuscated & minified - the unresponsive script alerts do not appear, but it appears Firebug is not able to search the multiple files loaded with the non obfuscated & minified code. Searching Script tab puts Firefox into 'Not Responsive', when Firefox comes out of 'Not Responsive', nothing happens...

Have you seen this before with Firebug 2.x against large JS codebases? Is this something the Firebug team are actively working on?

Thanks :)

Sebastian Zartner

Jan 26, 2016, 5:16:57 AM1/26/16
to Firebug
Coincidentally I stumbled over this message again. Sorry for the many months without reply!

Newer bug fix releases of Firebug 2 have addressed these issues. So, the current version 2.0.13 should work better in this regard.
Meanwhile the Firebug team is working on Firebug 3, which will integrate into the built-in DevTools of Firefox.
As I am not part of the team anymore, I don't know when this version will be officially released. Though you can already try it out:

https://getfirebug.com/releases/firebug/3.0/

Best regards,

Sebastian

James Gallagher

Jan 26, 2016, 12:11:45 PM1/26/16
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sebastian,

Thanks so much for the response. I will try the newer versions out.

Thanks,
James :)