Finding file location of element.style inline styles

Dgreen97

Jun 19, 2009, 3:59:32 PM6/19/09
to Firebug
I've worked with firebug for quite a while now and I frequently run
into inline styling element.style CSS in the code while I'm working on
Joomla CMS. It sometimes takes hours to find the file that contains
this inline style code. Is there any way to find which file has this
code with firebug or any other program? I've looked forever for a
program to do this and I haven't been able to find one. If firebug
could identify which files had the inline styling it would be
absolutely awesome.

johnjbarton

Jun 19, 2009, 4:51:46 PM6/19/09
to Firebug
Mostly element.style is set by Javascript I guess?
Please add you suggestion under the title
Break on element.style
to our issues list:
http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/list
We are working on a set of break-on-this-or-that features for 1.5
jjb

Kara Rawson

Jun 19, 2009, 5:06:31 PM6/19/09
to fir...@googlegroups.com
so are you trying to find inline styles that are static or dynamically
added by JS. if its static, use a text search crimison editor has a
really good search for text in files function, if your trying to search
for dynamically added stuff, thats a bit more tricky, you can expand all
of the content nodes in the HTML tab, pasted it all into a txt file, (of
all the files you are looking in), do a find in that new txt file, then
try to match some type of static content with where this dynamic stuff
is added, once you have some static content to match, then just do a
search content in all files, find the general location, then you will
find the location where this dynamic inline stuff occurs.

overal it sounds like you are tacking this problem from the top down,
really you should be trying to solve these problems from the bottom up,
meaning searching within the source code that generates the html, and
css and not the actual compiled code, it would be like digging though a
bunch of obfuscated JSNI looking for a specific value to reverse
engineer, becuase i dont have the src's to look at.

firebug also dynamic searechsdynamic html content if you use the search
filter box in the top right.

kara

Iris McAlpine

Jun 26, 2015, 11:29:29 AM6/26/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
This is years later, but have you ever found a good way to do this?  I'm having the same issue now.

Sebastian Zartner

Jun 26, 2015, 8:17:24 PM6/26/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com