Firefox ESR, Firebug support

alecwho

Mar 10, 2017, 9:35:42 AM3/10/17
to Firebug
Can you please tell me how long will firebug work with Firefox ESR (the console and script tabs, in firebug as it worked before ) ?

At what number of the ESR version will the script ,console tabs stop working ?

I installed "FirefoxPortableESR_45.7.0" (It upgraded to 45.80, but that's manual, i can install 45.7.0 again if there would be a problem)  from portableapps and i can use firebug as before , with the features working, as i like it.

Sebastian Zartner

Mar 10, 2017, 3:32:32 PM3/10/17
to Firebug
With ESR 52.0, which was released three days ago, Firebug's Console and Script panel stop working.

Sebastian

Michael Zieger

May 23, 2017, 10:02:50 AM5/23/17
to Firebug
I experienced the same problem.
the console diesn't stop working completly, but some parts are not showing any more information.
I just installed FF ESR 52.1.4 and befor with FF ESR 45.x it was working very nice.

Does anybody has any information what's the reason or maybe if the FB team is already working on it?

Thanks, Michael

Sebastian Zartner

May 23, 2017, 1:01:49 PM5/23/17
to Firebug
The reason for this is an internal API change as I explained on Stack Overflow.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the development of Firebug is officially discontinued in favor of pushing the Firefox DevTools. To be clear, Firebug stops working completely once multiprocess Firefox is enabled but at the latest when Firefox 57 is released, because that version will only support WebExtensions (and Firebug is based on different APIs).

So, you're advised to switch over to the Firefox DevTools. There is a Firefox DevTools migration guide for Firebug users. They still miss some features Firebug had, which are tracked in bug 991806, the most important ones in bug 1267303, but they also provide some advanced tools.

Best regards,

Sebastian