How can I save changes on firebug

Mustapha Hydara

Aug 31, 2015, 3:03:36 AM8/31/15
to Firebug
Hello can anyone help me how to save changes with firebug after customizing my website with firebug. How can I locate the parent file on my wordpress site? Is there any short code to make this changes from firebug to my wordpress site.

Jan Honza Odvarko

Aug 31, 2015, 3:06:27 AM8/31/15
to Firebug

JP Charrier

Aug 31, 2015, 3:18:53 AM8/31/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Your wordpress site will be php based. Therefore will need to edit and re-upload those of your making HTML changes.

Is your CSS compiled from a pre-processor such as sass or less? If so, you will need to edit those, recompile and then reupload to your site.

(That's my workflow)

Regards,
JP Charrier

On 31/08/2015, at 6:56 pm, Mustapha Hydara <mohh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello can anyone help me how to save changes with firebug after customizing my website with firebug. How can I locate the parent file on my wordpress site? Is there any short code to make this changes from firebug to my wordpress site.

BobN

Sep 2, 2015, 2:14:14 AM9/2/15
to Firebug
There is no way to save "changes" made with Firebug (or the built-in browser "inspector")

I am guessing that the changes you've made are to CSS (Cascading Styte Sheets) settings such as font size, color, etc.

If that is correct and y0u want to find the files containing the settings, you are looking for files whose extension is ,css

If you look in the root directory of you WP installation, you will find a directory named wp-content and in that directory you will find one named themes.

The themes directory contains a directory for each of the themes which are included when you install WordPress and those you may have added. You should know what theme you are using - if not, go to the WP dashboard, click Appearance and then Themes and see which one you are using.

Once you know the name of the installed, you should be able to find its directory because the directory name is usually the name of the theme.

If you look in the theme's directory, you will find a file named styes.css. That should be where the things you want to change are located.

I like to have a copy of the WP installation on my own system - not run it locally but to have quick access to the files so I can research them and make changes which I then upload to my site.

I also have a testing WP installation on my sites. I can safely try out changers with no impact to my production WP installation. the WP is in a directory to which no links exist anywhere. If you don't know the directory name, you can't get there and spammers can't either. You should never create a link on a page open to the public giving the name of the directory or post the name in a message on a forum. You don't want anyone but yourself to know the directory name so that only  you can get there.

For example, use a name like thisismytest or youcannotfind it -- of course, if you use either of those two, someobne reading this thread might go and see if you used one of them. It can be anything, even a random string of characters. Right it down. If you lose it, you can always use your FTP program to look at the server' directory structure and you'll see it.

So, I recommend unzipping the WP installation file into a directory on your system - name it Wordpress.

I recommend you then get  the search program named Agent Ransack - https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/download

The name is a bit "cute" it refers to ransacking a place to find something. Unlike someone searching your house, Agent Ransack does no damage and leaves things as they were but it allows you to search for files, directories, and text in files. I when I had to finally give up Windows XP, I found the Windows 7 search facility a peice of crap and went looking for a replacement and I found Agent Ransack,

I've been using it for years and it is a great tool. If you decide to try it out, download it and scan then the install file with your anti-virus program before executing it. The chances of anything being there besides the program are nil, but it is better to be very safe than very, very sorry when it comes to downloaded software.

If you unzip the WP installation file into a directory on your system and install Agent Ransack, you can search the them directory for CSS settings

For instance if you know there is CSS setting that sets font-size: 18px you can search all css files for that string of characters.Until you understand how CSS is coded,k you could simply search for 19px

As you use it more and become more familiar with the how CSS is coded in .css files, you will be able to refine your searches.

A copy on your system also lets you easily poke around and see how things are done.

This is not the place do discuss all of the considerations and possible problems involved when changing WP core modules but you need to know and under stand them.

Go to the WP forums and search for update issues and post questions if you cannot find what you are looking for.

Bear one thing in mind - WP is targeted at non technical people and as a result, much, not all, of the advise, warnings, rules you are told about may apply if you know a bit about HTML, CSS, etc. But also bear in mind that if you start making changes, you will be on your own if they create problems,.

So - Put a copy of WP on your directory, install Agent Ransack and search or the setting you are changing as you try different values.

 Be sure to make notes of the changes you make because you run the risk of getting it exactly as you want it and then not remember what all you changed,

If you have additional questions about this which don't require a great deal of space to answer, post them here. I'll monitor this thread.

By the way FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol. It is the way you uploaded and download files to and from your site. I'm assuming you already know something about it and have an FTP program you are using- right?

Bob