Compatibility of Firebug 2.0.7 with Firefox 36 ?

alfonsoml

Jan 22, 2015, 3:04:19 PM1/22/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I haven't seen any topic about this, but lately (I think that it might have been since Firefox autoupdated itself to 36) I'm having serious problems with Firebug.
Previously everything worked great, I haven't installed any other add-on and I have no add-ons for Firebug.

Now many times when I open Firebug to check some element the page "locks up", the cursor turns into a vertical-resize and I can't do anything with the page.
I've tried now to reset Firebug and the first test seems to that this problem doesn't happen (at the moment), but the Scripts pane doesn't show any one!
I get errors logged on the console but if I click on them it takes me to another file or it remains with an empty pane.

Before getting too deep into trying to find out what's going on (so far I've switched to IE11 to get the tasks done), has anyone else faced similar problems?

Jan Honza Odvarko

Jan 23, 2015, 9:16:26 AM1/23/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
> Now many times when I open Firebug to check some element the page "locks up",
> the cursor turns into a vertical-resize and I can't do anything with the page.
Do you have any stable steps-to-reproduce instruction that would help to analyze the problem?
If yes, please create a new bug report here:
https://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/list

... and post a link to it into this tread.

Also, the Firebug team is currently focusing on next Firebug generation (aka Firebug.next) that is built on top of Firefox native developer tools. You can read more about our goal here:
https://blog.getfirebug.com/2014/11/10/firebug-3-next-generation-of-firebug/
https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/12/firebug-3-multiprocess-firefox-e10s/

It's more stable (even if alpha) and also supporting e10s, I'd recommend to try it out.

Download: https://github.com/firebug/firebug.next
Github: https://github.com/firebug/firebug.next

Honza

alfonsoml

Jan 23, 2015, 2:11:05 PM1/23/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply

I don't have a testcase because I'm not even sure about what's going on. If I had some specific steps I would have listed them

And about the Firebug 3, I tested one of the versions and it lacks important features. The authors of the developer tools focused on doing things in a different way and creating tools like the web audio editor or 3d view instead of understanding how people used Firebug.
So now it's a catch up race trying to put into those tools the features that should have been available right from the start, you are working overtime polishing things and moving your code to work in the new platform, with the disadvantage that now the native tools are updated only on each Firefox release instead of being able to update it at any time like Firebug.

When Firebug 2.x is no longer supported I will have to use the 3.x but currently I think that when that moment arrives I will be disappointed about the missing features. And surely you don't deserve this, your work so far has been great but there's a total lack of vision from Mozilla.

Jan Honza Odvarko

Jan 26, 2015, 2:30:35 AM1/26/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Yes, we are hardworking on porting these little features that are making Firebug great.

What features are you missing the most?

Honza

alfonsoml

Jan 26, 2015, 12:23:39 PM1/26/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
As I wrote several months ago, being able to easily copy CSS rules or properties is important to me, and until that bug is fixed I see no reason to use the Firefox dev tools
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/firebug/SRTo35dHSMw

When that bug is finally fixed (I guess that being tied to the Firefox release cycle and the fact that the patch is untouched since October, puts us as minimum in March-April) I might give it another try, meanwhile I'm enjoying IE11 to adjust CSS and being able to easily copy all the changes without forgetting about anything.

Dmitry Mirlin

Jan 27, 2015, 6:43:18 AM1/27/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

I have the same problem with Firebug 2.0.7 and Firefox 36.
But I found solution to «unlock» pages: just need disable Script Tab.

Thanks and regards,
Dmitry Mirlin.

Dirkjan Mollema

Jan 27, 2015, 7:53:30 AM1/27/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I'm having the exact same problem. I searched for other people having this but so far found just this. Just loading a page with firebug enabled in the background seems to freeze it all up after a few seconds. The page wont respond to any clicks. I've tried to disable about all other extensions but that doesn't solve the problem. Should I be wiping some config or cache to try and get it working again? It is driving me nuts here...

Christoph Kerth

Mar 6, 2015, 2:47:59 PM3/6/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Could you please try to open one page you have issues with by loading it
a) with firebug and firefox debugger disabled
b) with firefox debugger enabled and firebug disabled

I would like to confirm if your problem is related to my problem with heavy eval() usage.
With Firefox 36 the debugging of eval sources was introduced:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Debugger/How_to/Debug_eval_sources

Thus with the current stable firefox version I have serious load performance issues with pages using the eval way too much.
But this is caused by Firefox itself not by Firebug. (@Honza)

Martie Henry

Mar 10, 2015, 9:34:34 AM3/10/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I am running Firefox 36.0.1 and Firebug 2.0.8 on Windows 7
The performance is horrific.
No issues with previous version of Firebug.

3 seconds to load page without Firebug. With Firebug? 23 seconds.
Can't tell you how to reproduce issue, because I am working on developing a system.
What I can tell you is that I use dhtmlx and lots of xml loads.
The page I timed has 12 xml loads (gets) which delineate grid, form and menu structures (no data)
firebug.png

dan

Mar 10, 2015, 10:05:34 AM3/10/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I'm experiencing the same sluggish performance since the Firefox update as well.
Running firefox on OS X 10.7.5 and Firebug 2.0.8

dan

Mar 10, 2015, 10:15:25 AM3/10/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
As a followup, disabling the Script tab seems to resolve the performance problems. Sadly, I am trying to debug javascript so that's not an option.

Florent Fayolle

Mar 10, 2015, 1:07:23 PM3/10/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

@dan : could you try using Firefox beta (37) ? There are some improvements of the Debugger API that may solve your issue.

Florent Fayolle

Mar 10, 2015, 1:11:11 PM3/10/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Same as for dan, could you try using the Beta version of Firefox (v37) and see if it helps ?

BTW, here is the link to download it : https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/channel/

Florent

Gary England

Mar 10, 2015, 4:17:40 PM3/10/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I have upgraded to FF(v37) and the performance is much better.

Gary England

Mar 10, 2015, 9:27:11 PM3/10/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Now I'm unable to set breakpoints. The 'spinner' never resolves to a breakpoint.

Sebastian Zartner

Mar 11, 2015, 2:06:20 AM3/11/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
There are already several issues reported against the ever-spinning throbber. See the other thread, where I mentioned them.

Sebastian

E. Gary England

Mar 11, 2015, 10:31:55 AM3/11/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Sebastian.

dan

Mar 11, 2015, 10:51:58 AM3/11/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I downgraded to 35.0.1. If I get a chance, I will try the beta and report back.

Dan

dan

Mar 13, 2015, 9:13:16 AM3/13/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com

Now testing with Firefox 37 beta. Not seeing the sluggish performance with the Firebug script currently. I will work with this today and report back any issues.

Dan

Christoph Kerth

Mar 13, 2015, 12:59:53 PM3/13/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I am working with the Developer Edition (38.0a2) for now. The issue I mentioned does not occur with it. I will wait for the stable FF37 release.

Daniel Manta

Jun 9, 2015, 9:48:47 AM6/9/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I have FF37 and Firebug 2.0.5 doesn't inspect but display resize pointer. Latests Firebug has other issues also reported in forums so I'm using this.

alfonsoml

Jun 9, 2015, 4:50:00 PM6/9/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
If you're running an old version of Firebug, then the developers can't help you because anything that they can do is to create a new version, but you're already running an outdated version.
If you want to run an old version, then no one will be able to help you with any compatibility problems that you might have.