Sometimes F10 has behavior of F11 ?

Bernard Tremblay

Oct 24, 2016, 5:44:52 AM10/24/16
to Firebug
Hi,

Sometimes the action on the icon (F10) don't executes simply the current line but goes inside the function called.

Then going out (F11) is not always easy particularly with JQuery, too many steps are needed.

I have no explanation and it is not always it depends of the instruction executed, not clear at all. Note that I don't uses always the keyboard but I am quite sure not to have manipulation error.
It seems that this occurs when a function is the unique command of a if, and defined without brackets on the next line of the if, I must confirm (I thought this while writing this message).

It is not easy to get an example, I could get a video (screen capturing converted), but the file size is always important and cannot be joined easily.

Best regards

Trebly

Note about French translation :

Sometimes the action on the icon (F10) don't executes simply the current line (translated in French by "passer" which is wrong, "passer" would mean "skip" not "execute", in French the best is "exécuter (la commande)"  but goes inside the function called (in French "Lancer la suivante (F11)" mean pratically "go to the next = skip".while it mean "go inside" a translation in French is "entrer dans la commande" ou mieux "pas à pas dans la commande").
Shift F11 "end the function then go out to continue" is translated "sortir du lancement" which is not truely wrong but not real French, should be better "terminer la fonction" - because the current begun function is simply ended, which generally returns to a previous level. This while "sortir de la fonction" could be an error which may think that function is stopped like a 'return;' because it is "terminer l'exécution de la fonction et sortir" not "stop this function".

Sebastian Zartner

Oct 25, 2016, 3:31:16 AM10/25/16
to Firebug
On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 11:44:52 AM UTC+2, Bernard Tremblay wrote:
Hi,

Sometimes the action on the icon (F10) don't executes simply the current line but goes inside the function called.

I didn't experience that with Firebug 2.0.18 yet. F10 should always stop over the current function except when there is a breakpoint set within the function or a function nested within it. So I assume you have a breakpoint set somewhere.

Then going out (F11) is not always easy particularly with JQuery, too many steps are needed.

Stepping out is done via Shift+F11, only pressing F11 steps into a function. Anyway, I agree that it's cumbersome to step through library code like jQuery. For this reason the Firefox DevTools have an option to "blackbox" a script, that means that it is skipped while debugging. A very useful feature!

[...]

I don't speak French, but it sounds like it is wrong or at least confusing. The English terms are Step Over (F10), Step Into (F11) and Step Out (Shift+F11), which are terms used in other debugger software as well. A clear definition of those buttons can be found in the Firebug wiki.

Sebastian