Logging 'message' events.

Paul Stone

Nov 1, 2012, 10:19:12 AM11/1/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to use Firebug to monitor 'message' events sent between windows and frames using postMessage. Currently I can do monitorEvents(window, 'message'). However when Firebug logs these it doesn't show any properties in the console view - it just shows 'message'. Would it be possible to show the 'origin' and 'data' fields for logged message events by default? This would be similar to the properties shown for mouse and key events.

I'm also looking for an easy way to log events on all subframes within the current window. This could also be useful for events other than 'message', for example for click events in iframes. Does this sound like a feature that would be worth adding into core Firebug (as opposed to an extension?)

Jan Honza Odvarko

Nov 1, 2012, 10:42:54 AM11/1/12
to Firebug
On Nov 1, 3:19 pm, Paul Stone <li...@pdjs.co.uk> wrote:
> I'd like to use Firebug to monitor 'message' events sent between windows
> and frames using postMessage. Currently I can do monitorEvents(window,
> 'message'). However when Firebug logs these it doesn't show any properties
> in the console view - it just shows 'message'. Would it be possible to show
> the 'origin' and 'data' fields for logged message events by default? This
> would be similar to the properties shown for mouse and key events.
This is reported here:
https://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=5135

But, we also need a simple page (a test case) that can be used
to manually repeat the scenario (there should be an iframe,
a button, postMessage call and instructions on the page...)

> I'm also looking for an easy way to log events on all subframes within the
> current window. This could also be useful for events other than 'message',
> for example for click events in iframes. Does this sound like a feature
> that would be worth adding into core Firebug (as opposed to an extension?)
Please create a new report for this

Thanks!
Honza

Paul Stone

Nov 1, 2012, 12:12:32 PM11/1/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com

This is reported here:
https://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=5135

But, we also need a simple page (a test case) that can be used
to manually repeat the scenario (there should be an iframe,
a button, postMessage call and instructions on the page...)

I've added a simple testcase to that issue. If you need it tweaked or changed, let me know.

> I'm also looking for an easy way to log events on all subframes within the
> current window. This could also be useful for events other than 'message',
> for example for click events in iframes. Does this sound like a feature
> that would be worth adding into core Firebug (as opposed to an extension?)
Please create a new report for this

Actually, the above issue is asking what I want. Essentially an option to log 'message' events in a similar fashion to XmlHttpRequests.

Jan Honza Odvarko

Nov 2, 2012, 3:31:46 AM11/2/12
to Firebug
On Nov 1, 5:12 pm, Paul Stone <li...@pdjs.co.uk> wrote:
> > This is reported here:
> >https://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=5135
>
> > But, we also need a simple page (a test case) that can be used
> > to manually repeat the scenario (there should be an iframe,
> > a button, postMessage call and instructions on the page...)
>
> I've added a simple testcase to that issue. If you need it tweaked or
> changed, let me know.
Great, thanks!
Honza