Am I the only one, or ...

Jshark

Oct 7, 2015, 1:15:30 PM10/7/15
to Firebug

I have two situations I've been experiencing for at least the last 8-10 releases of Firefox and accompanying Firebug 2.x  updates.  They don't happen a lot and neither is earth-shatteringly important - just annoying.  Neither situation is reproducible at will, but neither do they happen unless I've opened Firebug at least once during my Firefox session.  Neither situation happened before Firefox 33(ish).  Just curious if *anybody* has run across similar situations and either has a solution or a "you're not alone" response.

I'm using FF 41.0.1/FB 2.0.12 and Windows 7 on a VM.  I run multiple profiles at any given time because I need totally separate login sessions into our application (application critiques are not being solicited - it is what it is and it's not changing).  We use prototype.js quite heavily in all of our javascript, but no other 3rd party javascript frameworks.  It doesn't matter which profile I'm running, and yes, I've nuked and recreated all profiles multiple times.  Other than the names the profiles are all identical:

Addons: Firebug, MeasureIt, Show Profile (to customize the window title), and The Addon Bar (restored)
Appearance: Default - no themes added
Plugins: OpenH264 Video Codec, Adobe Acrobat, Java Platform SE 8 U31 (yes, it's old, but only rarely used), Microsoft Office 2010. All other plugins disabled all the time.

Yes, I've tried disabling all addons (neither situation happens) and all but Firebug (both still happen).  I've also tried using Firebug 3.0 to see if it happens there, but it's *just* different enough in the UI that the annoyances outweigh any potential benefits.

Situation #1) After working with firebug using Console, HTML, or Script tabs on a single page, I try to navigate to a new page of our application.  The navigation stalls and eventually FF will put up a dialog along the following lines:
A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue.

Script: resource://firebugui/commandEditor.html:2685
[continue/debug/stop buttons]

The actual firebug resource will vary, but the only recourse is to click "stop" and try the navigation again.  Sometimes it works, sometimes situation #2 arises.  If it *does* work, it's very likely that any other tabs currently open to the same application are hung/stalled and no event processing is happening on these tabs at all. Refreshing the page via the reload icon in the "awesome bar" (egads, but i hate that name) or Ctrl-F5 usually will work, but if not, continue to situation #2.

Situation #2) Firefox is thoroughly hosed.  Closing the application is not enough - there's some process that refuses to quit when FF shuts down and I have to resort to task manager to kill off the process. Never happens unless preceded by #1.

thx in advance
jeff

Mark F

Oct 8, 2015, 8:29:33 AM10/8/15
to Firebug
Jshark,

I have been experiencing this exact same behavior for months. I have tried disabling all addons other than firebug, and it seems to be something in firebug that's causing the issue. I eventually got another addon called "Restart Button" that adds an icon I can click to restart FF when it becomes unresponsive. When I click this button and it's in Situation #2, FF will crash after a minute or 2 and then I can restart. I've sent over 100 crash reports due to this, because it happens multiple times a day. If it's still in Situation #1, it will be able to restart.

It's really frustrating.

Sebastian Zartner

Oct 9, 2015, 12:03:58 PM10/9/15
to Firebug
Note that hanging is not the same as crashing. Mark, I suggest you create a bug report for those crashes with some steps to reproduce the issue. How to see the crash reports is described here:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mozillacrashreporter

When you're at the report there's a section Reported Bugs. If there isn't any bug reported yet, you can create one through one of the links above that section saying Bugzilla - Report this bug in ...

Regarding the hangs, you should also try to find a reproducible test case and then report it in the Firebug 2 issue tracker. Though from your descriptions I guess it may already be filed as issue 7656.

Any bugs and enhancement requests regarding Firebug 3 should be filed in the Firebug 3 issue tracker.

Sebastian

Lawrence San

Oct 9, 2015, 12:51:20 PM10/9/15
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Sebastian wrote:
Note that hanging is not the same as crashing.

​I think I understand the distinction you're making but I'm not sure... is "hang" synonymous with "freeze", and "crash" synonymous with "sudden unexpected quit"?​

Also, what if a program (Firefox or whatever) freezes and either does, or does not, still allow itself to be force-quit via the OS (i.e. has the OS itself locked up?)... or even without force-quitting, still allows other programs to be brought to the foreground and used? Are there different terms for those different kinds of misfortunes?

Sebastian Zartner

Oct 9, 2015, 4:29:08 PM10/9/15
to Firebug
On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 6:51:20 PM UTC+2, San wrote:
Sebastian wrote:
Note that hanging is not the same as crashing.

​I think I understand the distinction you're making but I'm not sure... is "hang" synonymous with "freeze", and "crash" synonymous with "sudden unexpected quit"?​

Yes, with "hang" I meant "freeze" or clearer "does not react to user input". "Crash" means "sudden unexpected quit". A crash normally this brings up the Mozilla Crash Reporter dialog as mentioned earlier.

Also, what if a program (Firefox or whatever) freezes and either does, or does not, still allow itself to be force-quit via the OS (i.e. has the OS itself locked up?)... or even without force-quitting, still allows other programs to be brought to the foreground and used? Are there different terms for those different kinds of misfortunes?

I'm not a native English speaker, though if a program doesn't react to user input but can still be force-quit via the OS I'd still say it "is freezed" or "hangs". I'm not aware of different terms for that in English.

Sebastian