Firebug Extensions Testing

Jan Honza Odvarko

Jul 17, 2013, 12:47:17 PM7/17/13
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I have spent time today testing some of the extensions we have listed:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArzNE_OHjXkQdFMySmRxV2xOYjNJTDBZU1BQSk9aS3c#gid=0

Testing with Firebug 1.12 beta 3

Specifically:

  - ConsoleExport, also blogging: http://bit.ly/14die5r

  - Firebug Paint Events (I wouldn't recommend to use)

  - FireRainbow,

  - FireQuery (one exception found, pull request sent)

  - FireLogger (fixed the Persist feature, pull request sent)

I'll also want to blog more about extensions working OK with Firebug 1.12

I added two columns in the Spreadsheet.

1) Status: I am using "OK" when I test the extension and I think it's compatible. We could also use something shorter than "I wouldn't recommend to use."

2) Notes: Just some notes about the testing, explanation of the decision, links, etc.

I dropped them at the beginning just after "Name", since especially "Status" is what we want to see eventually.

It would be great if everyone tests at least one extension from the list till the end of the week :-)

Do you think I should mention the results in the release blog post?

Perhaps we could encourage extension developers to participate?

Honza

Zendyani

Jul 17, 2013, 1:16:48 PM7/17/13
to fir...@googlegroups.com

2013/7/17 Jan Honza Odvarko <odv...@gmail.com>

I have spent time today testing some of the extensions we have listed:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArzNE_OHjXkQdFMySmRxV2xOYjNJTDBZU1BQSk9aS3c#gid=0

Testing with Firebug 1.12 beta 3

Specifically:

  - ConsoleExport, also blogging: http://bit.ly/14die5r

  - Firebug Paint Events (I wouldn't recommend to use)

  - FireRainbow,

  - FireQuery (one exception found, pull request sent)

  - FireLogger (fixed the Persist feature, pull request sent)

I'll also want to blog more about extensions working OK with Firebug 1.12

great work

I added two columns in the Spreadsheet.

1) Status: I am using "OK" when I test the extension and I think it's compatible. We could also use something shorter than "I wouldn't recommend to use."

what do you think about "deprecated"

2) Notes: Just some notes about the testing, explanation of the decision, links, etc.

I dropped them at the beginning just after "Name", since especially "Status" is what we want to see eventually.

It would be great if everyone tests at least one extension from the list till the end of the week :-)

Do you think I should mention the results in the release blog post?

yes.

Perhaps we could encourage extension developers to participate?

would be great, perhapse also encourage extension developers to make their extension compatible (for thus who aren't)

Honza

Abdeldjalil

Sebastian Zartner

Jul 17, 2013, 5:22:10 PM7/17/13
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Honza, I think you posted this in the wrong discussion group. Anyway, here are my comments.

I have spent time today testing some of the extensions we have listed:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArzNE_OHjXkQdFMySmRxV2xOYjNJTDBZU1BQSk9aS3c#gid=0

Testing with Firebug 1.12 beta 3

Specifically:

  - ConsoleExport, also blogging: http://bit.ly/14die5r

  - Firebug Paint Events (I wouldn't recommend to use)

  - FireRainbow,

  - FireQuery (one exception found, pull request sent)

  - FireLogger (fixed the Persist feature, pull request sent)

I'll also want to blog more about extensions working OK with Firebug 1.12

great work
Agree. Really good job!

One question regarding your blog post for ConsoleExport: Since when do we use the github issue tracker for our extensions? E.g. for ConsoleExport there are still two inside the Google Code issue tracker. We should discuss what to do with extension issues in the next conf call.

I added two columns in the Spreadsheet.

1) Status: I am using "OK" when I test the extension and I think it's compatible. We could also use something shorter than "I wouldn't recommend to use."

what do you think about "deprecated"

2) Notes: Just some notes about the testing, explanation of the decision, links, etc.

I dropped them at the beginning just after "Name", since especially "Status" is what we want to see eventually.

There were already two columns at the end of the spread sheet named "1.12" and "Hint" I originally used for that. Should they be merged?

It would be great if everyone tests at least one extension from the list till the end of the week :-)

Do you think I should mention the results in the release blog post?

yes.
If they are positive, definitely. I'm sure many (most?) Firebug users don't know there are extensions for it.

Perhaps we could encourage extension developers to participate?

would be great, perhapse also encourage extension developers to make their extension compatible (for thus who aren't)
Of course. I assume sometimes it just needs a little change to make the compatible again.

Sebastian

Jan Honza Odvarko

Jul 18, 2013, 6:50:07 AM7/18/13
to fir...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 11:22:10 PM UTC+2, Sebastian Zartner wrote:
Honza, I think you posted this in the wrong discussion group. Anyway, here are my comments.
Yes, I wanted to post to FWG originally, but it's actually good it's in this group.
(extension authors have better chance to hear about any possible issues with their extensions)

One question regarding your blog post for ConsoleExport: Since when do we use the github issue tracker for our extensions?
This link was there since ever

E.g. for ConsoleExport there are still two inside the Google Code issue tracker. We should discuss what to do with extension issues in the next conf call.
Ok, please make a note.

I added two columns in the Spreadsheet.

1) Status: I am using "OK" when I test the extension and I think it's compatible. We could also use something shorter than "I wouldn't recommend to use."

what do you think about "deprecated"
I would rather thinking about something like "Doesn't work" or "Fail"

2) Notes: Just some notes about the testing, explanation of the decision, links, etc.

I dropped them at the beginning just after "Name", since especially "Status" is what we want to see eventually.

There were already two columns at the end of the spread sheet named "1.12" and "Hint" I originally used for that. Should they be merged?
Yes (if it make sense)

Honza

Jan Honza Odvarko

Jul 18, 2013, 10:59:50 AM7/18/13
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Here is a new update:

Working extensions:
- ConsoleExport
- CSS Usage
- FireFinder
- FireLogger
- FirePath
- FilePicker
- FireQuery
- FireRainbow

Problematic extensions:
- FirebugPaintEvents
- FireLinkReport
- PixelPerfect
- Acebug

List of all extensions:
https://getfirebug.com/wiki/index.php/Firebug_Extensions

Honza

Simon Lindholm

Jul 18, 2013, 8:09:26 PM7/18/13
to fir...@googlegroups.com

Den onsdagen den 17:e juli 2013 kl. 23:22:10 UTC+2 skrev Sebastian Zartner:
One question regarding your blog post for ConsoleExport: Since when do we use the github issue tracker for our extensions? E.g. for ConsoleExport there are still two inside the Google Code issue tracker.
FWIW, I'd agree with moving them to github (so they don't get lost in the noise of Firebug issues, and live closer to the code).

Simon

Jan Honza Odvarko

Jul 19, 2013, 9:47:42 AM7/19/13
to fir...@googlegroups.com