Firebug 2.0.19

Jan Honza Odvarko

Mar 1, 2017, 7:23:45 AM3/1/17
to Firebug
Firebug 2.0.19 released (maintenance release)
https://blog.getfirebug.com/2017/03/01/firebug-2-0-19/

Honza

Lawrence San

Mar 1, 2017, 1:32:29 PM3/1/17
to fir...@googlegroups.com
It's nice that you fixed this for those of us with e10s disabled... but I don't understand why you bothered to fix this but not something else equally important (more important to me) -- I mean that the Firefox Console no longer displays anything at all. Without the Console, Firebug is useless, so why bother fixing anything else?

Lawrence San
Business Writing: Santhology.com
Cartoon Stories for Thoughtful People: Sanstudio.com

Lawrence San

Mar 1, 2017, 1:35:40 PM3/1/17
to fir...@googlegroups.com
It's nice that you fixed this for those of us with e10s disabled... but I don't understand why you bothered to fix this but not something else equally important (more important to me) -- I mean that the Firebug Console no longer displays anything at all. Without the Console, Firebug is useless, so why bother fixing anything else?

[ edit: I said "Firefox" when I meant "Firebug". Sorry.]

Evan Meagher

Mar 1, 2017, 1:43:18 PM3/1/17
to Firebug
Javascript is still broken though, correct?

Jan Honza Odvarko

Mar 1, 2017, 1:53:55 PM3/1/17
to Firebug
The fix in this release was done by contributor. I don't have a time to work on Firebug myself but, I appreciate the work done by others and it would be wasted if I haven't release it time to time.

Honza

Sebastian Zartner

Mar 1, 2017, 3:42:28 PM3/1/17
to Firebug, Patrick Brosset
It's actually not about fixing Firebug but about making the transition to the DevTools easier. That the context menu inspection has been broken was the most mentioned issue and easy to fix. Fixing issues like the console or the debugger would require much more effort and therefore isn't worth doing, as Firebug users should start switching over.
What I'd still like to see, though, is a note at the top of the Firebug window saying that it is discontinued, especially when e10s is disabled, so everyone knows what's going on. Therefore I've created issue 8081. Unfortunately I don't have much time to do that myself, though I hope the DevTools team takes the time to add that note. I think this would really help to clarify things.

Sebastian

Segei

Mar 2, 2017, 9:18:07 AM3/2/17
to Firebug
Want to absolutely second the console.log sentiment! Can't wrap my head around how this absolutely indispensable feature not working has not resonated at all (googling it brings up nothing). That and the fact that the Script tab is dead seem like the two most important things making FB practically unusable.
I guess the silence is a sad reminder of how few devs still use Firebug.
I realize that it's been discontinued, but restoring the console.log is probably simple and will make a lot of (well, maybe just some) folks very happy!
I guess I could even do without, if the native FF devTools with its new FB design finally had a multi-line side pane in the console. That, coupled with the much friendlier elements view, are probably the two most important things where FB is shines compared to Chrome's devTools, and yet no clue when this will be added (if at all).

Sebastian Zartner

Mar 2, 2017, 3:46:45 PM3/2/17
to Firebug
On Thursday, March 2, 2017 at 3:18:07 PM UTC+1, Segei wrote:
Want to absolutely second the console.log sentiment! Can't wrap my head around how this absolutely indispensable feature not working has not resonated at all (googling it brings up nothing). That and the fact that the Script tab is dead seem like the two most important things making FB practically unusable.
I guess the silence is a sad reminder of how few devs still use Firebug.

Searching for "firebug console not working" gives a lot of current results. And there are several related questions on Stack Overflow, I've posted answers to two of them.

I realize that it's been discontinued, but restoring the console.log is probably simple and will make a lot of (well, maybe just some) folks very happy!

It looks like a Firefox internal API has changed. I didn't have a deeper look, but if it's a completely new API, this might require bigger changes. Anyway, Firebug is still open source and I guess if someone provides a patch for this, there could be another release.

I guess I could even do without, if the native FF devTools with its new FB design finally had a multi-line side pane in the console.

There's currently no multi-line command editor like in Firebug unfortunately (requested in bug 1133849), but the command line in the DevTools allows to enter multi-line commands and they also provide a JavaScript editor called Scratchpad (has a somewhat poor UX for the output at the moment, though).

That, coupled with the much friendlier elements view, are probably the two most important things where FB is shines compared to Chrome's devTools, and yet no clue when this will be added (if at all).

If you have anything Firebug did better than the Firefox DevTools that's not already filed, please create a new bug report and mark it as blocking bug 991806.

Sebastian

Esera Reza

Mar 8, 2017, 6:55:38 AM3/8/17
to Firebug
i want to ask something, why minimize icon is missing in new firebug?

Sebastian Zartner

Mar 8, 2017, 10:33:03 PM3/8/17
to Firebug
If you don't see the minimize button, it means you got switched to the Firefox DevTools automatically. See the Mozilla Hacks blog for more info why.
A minimize button is requested for the DevTools in bug 1178218.

Sebastian

Lawrence San

Mar 9, 2017, 2:12:41 AM3/9/17
to fir...@googlegroups.com
AFAIK, Firebug's minimize button was more than simply an alternative to f12. Firebug was capable of running in the background even when it had no windows showing, and I seem to vaguely remember it could even show a "badge" on the icon (button) with a numeral warning of errors in the current web page. (Or am I confusing it with some other tool I used?) Also the icon would turn gray if all the panels were disabled, or orange if at least one panel was enabled (in the background) and keeping track of something.

OTOH, the Firefox DevTools seem to be completely turned off if they aren't displaying any windows. If that's correct, would adding a Dock button ("Dock" is MacOS toolbar) mean that the DevTools were always on in the background -- for example to keep track of errors, network activity, reflows, etc. -- for example, writing to the Console even though no panel was showing -- or would it simply be a static button to turn the DevTools "On" + open a window? That seems like two very different things.

Sebastian Zartner

Mar 14, 2017, 11:11:03 PM3/14/17
to Firebug
On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 8:12:41 AM UTC+1, San wrote:
AFAIK, Firebug's minimize button was more than simply an alternative to f12. Firebug was capable of running in the background even when it had no windows showing

Pressing F12 while Firebug was open minimized it (letting Firebug run in the background) just like the minimize button did.

and I seem to vaguely remember it could even show a "badge" on the icon (button) with a numeral warning of errors in the current web page.

That badge was shown whenever Firebug was activated, independently of whether it was minimized. The DevTools have this feature in their Developer Toolbar.

(Or am I confusing it with some other tool I used?) Also the icon would turn gray if all the panels were disabled, or orange if at least one panel was enabled (in the background) and keeping track of something.
OTOH, the Firefox DevTools seem to be completely turned off if they aren't displaying any windows.

Correct.

If that's correct, would adding a Dock button ("Dock" is MacOS toolbar) mean that the DevTools were always on in the background -- for example to keep track of errors, network activity, reflows, etc. -- for example, writing to the Console even though no panel was showing -- or would it simply be a static button to turn the DevTools "On" + open a window? That seems like two very different things.

I don't use MacOS, but minimizing means to keep them on in the background.

But please let's rather discuss such things in the related bug report(s).

Sebastian

M Gol

Mar 16, 2017, 10:27:38 AM3/16/17
to Firebug
Hello there, I'm a big fan of firebug and have been using it for years as a software developer.

I like the new update and it has lots of good ideas, but one thing that I see is missing in the latest version is having css (class and style) changes happen in real time, as I edit them in firebug.

Is it possible to re-enable this function in the new firebug?  For me this was one of the most important (and time saving) features

Thank you

Ole Laursen

Mar 16, 2017, 10:27:38 AM3/16/17
to Firebug
Hi!

I just discovered today that my Firebug console is broken.

I tried the built-in one from a latest nightly build, but the output seems to be slightly inferior for common stuff, like printing an array with PODs. For instance, console.log([{ a: 1 }]) yields an entirely unhelpful Array [ Object ] instead of [{ a: 1 }]. By unhelpful, I mean, if I log three arrays to compare them, with Firebug I could immediately see any differences.

This seems to be a gap - do you know if there's a bug open on it? Or is the gap thing over now that Firebug is dead?

(BTW, it's annoying with a regression like this, but overall I'm happy to see better debugging included in Firefox, Firebug has had its share of bugs over the years from underlying changes in Firefox.)

Ole

Sebastian Zartner

Mar 17, 2017, 12:24:36 AM3/17/17
to Firebug
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 3:27:38 PM UTC+1, Ole Laursen wrote:
Hi!

I just discovered today that my Firebug console is broken.
I tried the built-in one from a latest nightly build, but the output seems to be slightly inferior for common stuff, like printing an array with PODs. For instance, console.log([{ a: 1 }]) yields an entirely unhelpful Array [ Object ] instead of [{ a: 1 }]. By unhelpful, I mean, if I log three arrays to compare them, with Firebug I could immediately see any differences.

This seems to be a gap - do you know if there's a bug open on it? Or is the gap thing over now that Firebug is dead?

I've added a comment to bug 1337701, which seems to be very similar.

(BTW, it's annoying with a regression like this, but overall I'm happy to see better debugging included in Firefox, Firebug has had its share of bugs over the years from underlying changes in Firefox.)

Yeah, the Firefox DevTools work quite well already, they mostly just need some UX fine-tuning.

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 3:27:38 PM UTC+1, M Gol wrote:
Hello there, I'm a big fan of firebug and have been using it for years as a software developer.

I like the new update and it has lots of good ideas, but one thing that I see is missing in the latest version is having css (class and style) changes happen in real time, as I edit them in firebug.

Firebug 2.0.19 only changed an unrelated part, so I assume you have multi-process Firefox enabled and by that already got automatically switched to the Firefox DevTools. See https://hacks.mozilla.org/2016/12/firebug-lives-on-in-firefox-devtools/ for more info.
Having said that, the CSS does get updated in real time when you edit it within the Rules side panel. It doesn't get updated automatically, though, when you edit the style attribute within the HTML structure. That's covered in bug 815464.

Sebastian

M Gol

Mar 28, 2017, 8:16:07 PM3/28/17
to Firebug
Is there any way to go back to the old firebug?

Sebastian Zartner

Mar 29, 2017, 5:48:30 PM3/29/17
to fir...@googlegroups.com