Making the highlighting in browser window to stick even when I move the mouse away from the very same element in the HTML tab

Rock Lee

Nov 16, 2015, 8:17:13 AM11/16/15
to Firebug

Okay, this may looks like the :hover question that comes around very often, but it's not the same.

Do you know when you click/hover an elmement in the HTML tab, the corresponding element in the browser view gets highlighted with blue for the box, yellow for margins and violet (?) for the paddings (see ther attached png). Okay, but as soon as you move the mouse pointer away from the element in the HTML tab, the highlighted selection changes too.

Well, I'd like to keep the selected element sticked/locked so I can play around with CSS or other stuff and see the margins/paddings/box changing accordingly in the browser window. Is there a way to do that?

Thank you
Senza titolo-1.png

Sebastian Zartner

Nov 16, 2015, 5:48:53 PM11/16/15
to Firebug
The box model shading only stays when you hover the related element.
Though there's one way to tweak the box model related values while keeping the box model shaded within the page and that is through the Layout side panel.

Sebastian

Rock Lee

Nov 18, 2015, 6:12:44 AM11/18/15
to Firebug
Yes, but unfortunately it's restricted for editing only the box model related values, not ALL possible CSS styles.

Sebastian Zartner

Nov 18, 2015, 4:41:36 PM11/18/15
to Firebug
Sure, though most other properties not tweakable within the Layout panel don't influence the box model. And the ones that do (like e.g. font-size), only influence the content area, i.e. the blue part of the shaded areas within the page. (Of course the display property plays a special role.)

What's your actual use case for seeing the box model permanently within the page?

Sebastian